100. Indi 500, 29. maj 2016.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
168 replies to this topic

#16 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 15:57

Honda needs a miracle to be competitive in the Indianapolis 500 under current rules, says leading IndyCar team boss Michael Andretti.

IndyCar gave Honda permission to make changes to its aero kit in the interests of closer competition over the winter, but the new 'domed skid' rule to raise ride-heights for the Indy 500 after last year's airborne accidents has enraged Honda teams.

Honda requested underwing strakes to help give back some of the downforce taken away by the titanium additions to the underside, but IndyCar prohibited this.

"I told them back in December that if they continued down the path of the domed skid the story will be more about the domed skid than the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500 and that is where we are at," Andretti told Autosport.

"I'm hoping to God we are going to get there and by some miracle the Hondas will be competitive with the Chevrolets but there isn't a lot of hope because we didn't get what we needed and are locked in.

"That's going to be the story of the month of May and what is disappointing is it didn't need to be that way."

The 500 will be a 350,000 sellout - the largest crowd in over 20 years - as it celebrates its 100th running this year.

"If we put on a crappy show it's not going to be good," Andretti said.

He remains disgruntled about the entire aero kit concept, devised to allow Honda and Chevrolet to add their own identities to the Dallara DW12 chassis.

Created under Randy Bernard's reign as series chief, the aero kits were delayed on cost grounds until 2015.

Andretti hopes Jay Frye, who replaced Derrick Walker as IndyCar's competition boss for this year, might rethink the rules.

"We are trying to fix them but when you start behind the eight ball like last year you are playing catch-up and you will continue to play catch-up until we get rid of these stupid kits," Andretti said.

"I'm begging Jay Frye.

"Don't even go there about Randy Bernard.

"I delayed it for two years and then good old Derrick Walker came along in 2013 and screwed the whole thing up.

"Honda did not want the aero kits. I blame Chevrolet and Roger Penske for pushing the aero kits hard in the beginning. That is what we are up against."

Though Honda renewed its IndyCar deal, the agreement was only guaranteed for two years with three further seasons as options - which leaves Andretti concerned in the current atmosphere.

"There are some pretty upset people right now at Honda," he argued.

"It's different now. It's more American run so you don't have the 100 per cent support like we did from Japan when it was [a case of] whatever it took.

"Now there are budgets that have to be kept to.

"It's definitely different than in the early 2000s."

Ima u celoj ovoj prici jedan stos - Hondi je ove zime omoguceno da prerade svoj aeropaket i motor da bi postali konkurentniji i priblizili se Seviju. U prve dve trke se to nije dogodilo, i sada kukaju kako nemaju sanse i traze da im se dozvoli da jos rade na razvoju, a ustvari oni taj preradjeni motor jos uvek nisu poceli da koriste, planiraju da ga iznesu tek na Indi. Govori se da je taj motor nekih 30-40 konja jaci od ovog sto su ga vozili u St. Pitu i Finiksu.

#17 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 17:38

NASCAR Sprint Cup champion Kyle Busch reiterated on Friday at Bristol Motor Speedway that he would not file an entry for the Indianapolis 500, but added that the pieces are starting to come together for a future effort.

Busch has had a lengthy fascination with the "Greatest Spectacle in Racing" but maintained that he wouldn't pursue it until he won a Sprint Cup championship. Having done so last November, Busch has now turned his attention to team owner Joe Gibbs, wife Samantha and his sponsors for both permission and support.

"Joe is going to be the hardest one (to convince) for sure," Busch said. "Samantha isn't a fan of it. I've talked to her about it a little bit and she's like, 'Just don't tell me and I'll be there when the time comes but just don't tell me.' My sponsors have actually showed an interest in it, which is actually kind of cool for me because there might be an opportunity to continue my relationship with them from the Cup side to the IndyCar side."

Busch's No. 18 Toyota is currently funded by M&M's and Interstate Batteries.

"We've got to work out the details and it's certainly not going to happen this year, but maybe in some future years, we'll see what we can put together," he added.

Older brother Kurt Busch competed in the event back in 2014 for Andretti Autosport and finished a respectable sixth. After contemplating a return for the 100th running, the 2004 NASCAR champion said he would not enter, choosing instead to focus on his Stewart Haas Racing efforts – although he, too, did not foreclose a possible return in future years.

#18 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:31

- Majk Sank, nekadasnji IRL Indikar trkac i vlasnik MSR tima u IMSA sampionatu sportskih prototipova najavljuje da ce pokusati da organizuje jedan bolid za ovogodisnji Indi 500, trazi se strateski partner u jednoj od postojecih Indikar ekipa.

#19 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 00:27

16C_7897-1.jpg

INDYCAR: Honda clarifies engine spec
Sunday, 17 April 2016
Mark Glendenning

Honda Performance Development president Art St. Cyr has called upon Honda's teams and drivers to stop insinuating that they are using last year's engine.

Several Honda-aligned drivers, including Graham Rahal and Ryan Hunter-Reay, recently suggested that the next batch of powerplants will represent the arrival of Honda's 2016-spec, but St. Cyr insists that the 2016 engine is already in use.

cyr_rahal.jpg

"There is a misconception that we're running a '15-spec engine," St. Cyr (LEFT, with Rahal and Hunter-Reay) told RACER. "A proof point is that at the end of last year we were pulling our engines out early because they weren't making durability mileage. We have no intent of swapping out these engines. That in itself says it is not a 2015-spec engine.

"It's a 2016-spec engine that we put in this year, and there are homologation items that we're unable to work on and open items that we continue to work on, just like every year. As the iterations come through, the designs get more mature. We try to incrementally increase the performance [and address] whatever performance issues there might be; whether it is durability or power. You always want more power. There are items like pistons are can be continuously developed, but the engine that is in the car now is our 2016-spec engine. "

The current Honda unit is understood to share a lot of overlap with the specification that was used at the end of 2015, albeit reinforced with updates over the winter to improve reliability. St. Cyr says that there is another update package planned for the next round of engines, which will be used at the 500, but emphasized that they are simply an evolution of the current engine rather than the arrival of a new one.

"[For Indy] it will be a more mature spec, so we're hoping to get some power," he added. "But we're just starting to build those engines right now, so we'll have to wait to see where they land."

#20 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 18:13

04-18-JWMarriott-Announcement.jpg

INDYCAR: "Epic" greeting for Indy fans
Monday, 18 April 2016
RACER staff

thumbnail_IMG_3762.jpg

Visitors to Indianapolis this May will be greeted by a massive rendering of the iconic Borg-Warner Trophy. The 100th Running Host Committee has commissioned a 74,538 sq. ft. graphic celebrating the 100th Running of the Indy 500 Presented by PennGrade Motor Oil will adorn the exterior of downtown’s JW Marriott Indianapolis, greeting guests from across the globe traveling to Indianapolis for this year’s race.

“I can’t think of a better way to build anticipation for the 100th Running and celebrate this city’s unique capacity to successfully host marquee sporting events,” said Patty Martin, member of the 100th Running Host Committee’s Executive Committee and the 2016 chair of the 500 Festival Board of Directors. “The 100th Running Host Committee, with its many wonderful volunteers and generous donors, is extremely proud of this effort that will inspire pride amongst Hoosiers and awe from onlookers across the globe.”

thumbnail_EpicPlaceEpicRace.jpg

The full graphic features the Trophy, an IndyCar, racing stripes and the phase, “Epic Race. Epic Place.” It also includes the Host Committee logo lockup, composed of the 100th Running logo and the 500 Festival logo. It will be installed by Hoosier company, Sport Graphics.

In total, the graphic will be 246 ft. wide by 303 ft. tall. The 501 panels which compose the project will be installed by hand beginning today, with full installation complete for most of the Month of May.

If all panels were laid end to end, they would cover 13,200 ft. – the 2.5-mile length of the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Sport Graphics has adorned the JW Marriott twice before with high-profile graphics celebrating the biggest events, the first time for the 2012 Super Bowl and the second time for the 2015 Men’s Final Four. The 100th Running graphic is more than twice the imprint of the Super Bowl image and a third larger than the imprint of the Final Four bracket.

The 100th Running Host Committee is part of the 500 Festival, a nonprofit organization providing life-enriching events and programs celebrating the legacy of the Indianapolis 500 and fostering a positive impact throughout the Hoosier state, working in tandem with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Hall of Fame museum. The Host Committee includes 12 full volunteer committees and 40 sub-committees with hundreds of enthusiastic community volunteers. These individuals are charged with working together to celebrate and leverage the 100th Running by enhancing the quality of life for all Hoosiers, elevating the image of the State of Indiana, heightening civic pride, creating cultural connection, enabling social impact and stimulating education.

#21 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 14:45

- Dzek Harvi, dvostruki vicesampion Indi Lajt serije u pregovorima sa nekoliko timova za nastup na ovogodisnjem Indi 500.

- Sem Smit, gazda SPM tima, kaze da jos uvek nema nista cvrsto za treci bolid za Indi 500. Bolid je spreman, trazi se vozac sa dovoljno sponzorstva da ga kompletno isfinansira. Po Smitovim recima, prosle godine je u slicnoj situaciji otpisao dve sasije sto ga je na kraju sezone stavilo u minus od pola miliona dolara, i ne zeli da se opet dovede u istu situaciju.

- Dzimi Vaser, suvlasnik KVSH tima, kaze da je verovatnoca da ce njihov treci bolid nastupiti na Indi 50 "veca od 50%" i da bi u narednih 10-tak dana trebala da dodje i zvanicna potvrda hoce li ili nece, i ko bi vozio.

#22 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:08

04CJ7382A.jpg

INDYCAR: Clock ticking for final Indy 500 seats
Tuesday, 19 April 2016
Marshall Pruett / Images by IMS

The race to fill the field of 33 cars for the 100th running of the Indy 500 is nowhere close to being finished. Opening practice for IndyCar's biggest race starts in just 27 days, making the rush to land the few seats available a heated and contentious affair on both sides for those buying and selling rides.

Some deals that were thought to be done have fallen apart, others once considered a sure thing have become questionable, and altogether, the realistic chances of having 34 cars trying to make the race – much less the 33 required to complete the field – have fluctuated on a daily basis.

16C_0759-1.jpg

Of the Indy 500 entries we can safely assume will be present in May, there's A.J. Foyt Racing (3), Andretti Autosport+Herta (5), Chip Ganassi Racing (4), Ed Carpenter Racing (3), Dale Coyne Racing+Jonathan Byrd's Racing (4), Dreyer & Reinbold Racing (1), KVSH Racing+Pirtek Team Murray (2), Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing (2), Schmidt Peterson Motorsports (2), and Team Penske (4).

That makes for 30 solid cars and three grid spots to fill in order to reach 33. Two of those teams, SPM and KVSH, are working to add third cars, and if both come to fruition, IndyCar only needs one more to reach the magic number.

SPM's third Honda-powered Indy 500 entry, which uses the team's Indy Lights staff to run the car, continues to attract the most attention. Jack Harvey told RACER he went to speak to team co-owner Sam Schmidt about the 500 vacancy in Long Beach and found himself stacked up on the runway – third in line behind Gabby Chaves and Oriol Servia – under the SPM tent...

Although Schmidt told RACER there were no guarantees his third car will be in the race, I'm confident IndyCar will ensure its seat is filled.

KVSH Racing is in a similar position among the Chevy-powered entrants. Its third car – which was tipped for Grace Autosport – remains vacant, co-owner Jimmy Vasser confirmed at Long Beach.

Grace Autosport continues to remain quiet as team owner Beth Paretta works through preparations for the team's Indy 500 debut which does not, it would appear, involve KVSH.

Dale Coyne Racing has yet to confirm its complete four-car Indy 500 roster. Bryan Clauson, Conor Daly, and Pippa Mann have plans for three of the cars, and the fourth, currently driven by Luca Filippi, is said to be open for possible use by a different driver.

Lazier Partners Racing intends to make another attempt to qualify after missing the race last year. However, the Chevy-powered team is said to have a significant financial hurdle to clear before it can outfit its car with the latest aero kit pieces and the Bowtie's engine, making its presence on the grid a question mark.

JHH_0196.jpg

AFS Racing is believed to be headed for a return with Sebastian Saavedra. Team owner Gary Peterson partnered with Chip Ganassi Racing in 2015, although with a two-car Ford GT program consuming CGR's additional staff members, Peterson would need to supply a complete crew to run with almost any team for this year's 500. It's also unclear which engine package he would use.

Bryan Herta seems intent on helping a coalition of the willing with the use of his spare chassis. "I do have a chassis and offered it to Mike Shank if he wants it," Herta told RACER. "I really like the guy and if I can help him, I will."

Michael Shank Racing has been contacted by drivers and teams looking for a veteran program to field an Indy 500 effort on their behalf.

Aspiring Indy 500 entrant Will Marotti told RACER he's "still working hard" on the Marotti Racing program.

Looking at the SPM, KVSH, and DCR opportunities, leading candidates include the aforementioned Chaves, Servia, Stefan Wilson, James Davison, Jack Harvey, and Jay Howard.

If deals are done with the SPM and KVSH cars, and any of the three Grace, LPR, or AFS options become solid, the Indy 500 would have 33 or more. And the remainder from those three and a Shank or Marotti, or another, unidentified entry materializes, the field will definitely be oversubscribed.

#23 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 15:03

Ovogodisnji pejskar, koji ce voziti Rodzer Penski:

chevrolet-camaro-indy-500-pace-car-1.jpg

#24 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 17:42

Two-time Indianapolis 500 winner Juan Pablo Montoya does not understand what all the fuss is about regarding IndyCar's domed skid controversy.

The dome-shaped titanium pieces on cars' undersides will serve as an air deflector if a car goes sideways in a spin or crash to keep it from launching into the air. The mandatory new part has been introduced in response to the airborne crashes involving Chevrolet cars during Indy 500 practice last year. But in order to fit the domed skids under the car the ride height on the Dallara chassis has to be raised and that causes stability issues.

Some of the loudest critics of the domed skids are Honda team owners and drivers who believe their cars in race and qualifying trim will be at a competitive disadvantage to the Chevrolet teams.

Montoya said that he just does not understand the problem.

"I haven't understood what the concern is," Montoya said. "Do you want it easy? Just put more downforce on the car and that is it. Nobody is telling you not to."

He also dismissed suggestions that the change will make overtaking harder.

"What I don't understand is why people think it's a bad thing if it's for safety," said Montoya. "Who is assuming there will be less lead changes at Indianapolis this year?"

Honda and its teams wanted to add strakes to the cars to provide more underbody downforce but IndyCar officials turned down that request. Honda will now have to replace the lost downforce on the topside of the car and that can create more aerodynamic drag - a disadvantage to the Chevrolet aero configuration.

Montoya added: "Honda will play any card to make sure they get a break. The rules are the way the rules are written. The domed skid is in the rules and that is it. But what I think or feel doesn't really matter. We did what we needed to do at the test at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Chevy is doing a better job than Honda and that is it. I just drive the car and take care of my business."

#25 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:11

- Kako stvari trenutno stoje, treci bolid za tim SPM Sema Smita na Indi 500 vozice Oriol Servija, ocekuje se zvanicna potvrda u toku subotnjeg dana. U trecem KV bolidu u saradnji sa Indi Lajt ekipom Tim Pelfri ce najverovatnije biti Stefan Vilson, brat tragicno stradalog Dzastina, a za trku se zvanicno prijavio i veteran Badi Lazir u svom privatnom bolidu tako da u ovom momentu imamo 32 potvrdjena bolida. Na programu rade jos i Sebastijan Savedra uz podrsku Gerija Pitersona i tima AFS, Ketrin Leg sa zenskom ekipom Grejs Autosport i Gabi Caves sa MSR timom Majka Senka, svo troje traze partnera u nekoj od postojecih ekipa...

#26 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 15:59

- Potvrdjeni Servija, S. Vilson i Savedra, sto je ukupan broj potvrdjenih bolida podiglo na 34. Jos uvek se ocekuju vesti od MSR i Grejs Autosporta za potencijalni 36.

Trenutno stanje:

CHEVROLET TEAMS

Penske -- Power, Pagenaud, Montoya, Castroneves

Ganassi -- Dixon, Kanaan, Kimball, Chilton

KVSH -- Bourdais, Brabham, S. Wilson

ECR -- Newgarden, Carpenter, Hildebrand

Dreyer & Reinbold -- Karam

AFS -- Saavedra

Lazier -- Lazier

HONDA TEAMS

Andretti -- Hunter-Reay, Andretti, Munoz, Rossi, Bell

RLL -- Rahal, Pigot

A.J. Foyt -- Sato, Hawksworth, Tagliani

Coyne -- Daly, Fillipi, Clauson, Mann

SPM -- Hinchcliffe, Aleshin, Servia

#27 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 21:39

Honda has an engine. Bryan Herta has a chassis. Michael Shank has a team. Somewhere among those pieces, Gabby Chaves hopes to create an opportunity to take part in his second Indy 500.

The 2015 Verizon IndyCar Series Rookie of the Year could be the final entry for May's 100th running of the Indy 500. The Colombian-American ace has seen most of the seats he's pursued filled with other drivers, leaving Shank or DCR as the last realistic destinations to land.

"Honda can do the engine; we're making sure it's the latest spec, which is what we're working through right now," Chaves told RACER. "Shank is interested, but we're still working on that, and we're still working on the budget part, which is really tight, and Bryan's chassis needs to be updated to all of the latest [2016] parts, so that will take money. Those are the things holding us up now. If we had all the budget we needed to update everything and cover the costs to go racing, it would happen. That's the last hiccup."

Chaves is known to have raised a significant portion of the budget required to race at Indy. With some teams asking for just over $300,000 and others seeking upward of $800,000 for the event, Chaves would need something between those sums to assemble a quality effort of his own.

"There's a lot more to it than just the financial aspect, but solving the finance side is the biggest one," he said. "And any help we can get – any additional sponsors we can find – will only improve our chances, so that's what we keep working on. We should know exactly where we're at in the next two or three days on where we're at with [all the pieces] and that will tell us how much we still need to raise."

With 34 entries anticipated, a Chaves/Shank/Honda partnership would push the number to 35. Dale Coyne could also have an available seat in one of its Indy-only programs that would be a good fit for Chaves.

Following Oriol Servia's confirmation at Schmidt Peterson Motorsports in partnership with Marotti Racing, today's news of Sebastian Saavedra and Gary Peterson returning under the AFS Racing banner, and Stefan Wilson's anticipated confirmation on Tuesday as the third KVSH Racing entry, Chaves has become the last known driver with a chance to make the field of 33.

#28 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 17:58

Bolid Stefana Vilsona za Indi:

Cg-3ryQWIAAwbUd.jpg

#29 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 23:41

#30 Arnold Schwarzenegger

Arnold Schwarzenegger
  • Members
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 16:16

Wow 100-ti Indy. Poklapa se sa 50-godisnjicom Penske tima pa ocekujem njegovu pobedu verovatno Montoja :+1: