Photo
- - - - -

SAD vs. Kina - dominacija ili propast ekonomije?!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
948 replies to this topic

#286 dzonikg

dzonikg
  • Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:27

dzonikg, obuzdaj malo svoj bes i da rezimiramo, oke?

Ova priča ima dve strane, kao što si i sam primetio. Kupci su "dobili" firmu, od koga? tebe-mene? Ne, nego od vladajućih struktura koje su bile odgovorne u to vreme. Ako se ne varam, Aleksandar Vlahović je bio tadašnji ministar privrede i privatizacije i to je prava adresa gde možeš usmeriti svoj bes što se tiče transparentnosti privatizacije. Inače je Sartid bio šta? - uzgajalište pečuraka, zar ne? Da nisu došli kupci, koji su podigli visoke peći, koji su zaposlili lokalno stanovništvo, koji su bili najveći izvoznici godinama, šta bi bilo sa sartidom i Smederevom?

Verovatno su 1998 izvezli 700 miliona $ pecuraka.Svih 5 fabrika sartida prodata za tu smesnu cifru ,sav dug sartida svaljen na drzavu a npr jedna fabrika belog lima u sapcu koja se za sartid kao mis prema slonu za 120 miliona eura(sartidova fabrika belog lima koja je mnogo veca od sabacke proda za 900 000$)

Ja ne kazem da ameri ne vode dobro samo su da ga dobili za saku pirinca i sad njima idu pare pa i im se moze da 70% GDP bude potrosnja,to u Srbiji ne moze i to je to. Zato ameri nece nikad da propadnu a srbistan hoce.

Edited by dzonikg, 31 July 2010 - 10:37.

#287 dekss

dekss
  • Members
  • 2,131 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:59

Verovatno su 1998 izvezli 700 miliona $ pecuraka.Svih 5 fabrika sartida prodata za tu smesnu cifru ,sav dug sartida svaljen na drzavu a npr jedna fabrika belog lima u sapcu koja se za sartid kao mis prema slonu za 120 miliona eura(sartidova fabrika belog lima koja je mnogo veca od sabacke proda za 900 000$)

Ja ne kazem da ameri ne vode dobro samo su da ga dobili za saku pirinca i sad njima idu pare pa i im se moze da 70% GDP bude potrosnja,to u Srbiji ne moze i to je to. Zato ameri nece nikad da propadnu a srbistan hoce.

da baš će ih taj "dobar posao" održati :ph34r: a neće ni srbistan propasti baš zbog toga

to sa sartidom nije nikakakv posao nego običan kriminal i korupcija
a i nema veze sa ovom temom...

#288 stroganoff

stroganoff
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 14:07

ekonomija je zero-sum game, zar ne?

Pa, ne. Sto je i citav smisao eknomije.

Edited by stroganoff, 01 August 2010 - 14:08.

#289 dzonikg

dzonikg
  • Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 18:49

da baš će ih taj "dobar posao" održati :ph34r: a neće ni srbistan propasti baš zbog toga

to sa sartidom nije nikakakv posao nego običan kriminal i korupcija
a i nema veze sa ovom temom...

Nece taj posao ali oni imaju kapitala sirom sveta..isuvise su veliki da propadnu.Pre ce EU da propadne 100 puta nego ameri.

#290 rory

rory
  • Members
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 19:59

Bitno je da sa RTB Bor nije ponovljena greška, sad kad ga masno zavale zemlja će se iščupati iz krize :ph34r: Uopšte ne sumnjam da se ovde u svaki posao neko ugradi ali na kraju krajeva bolje i da se sve to pokrade i proda nekom ko će raditi nego da stoji i truli.

#291 dekss

dekss
  • Members
  • 2,131 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:33

Nece taj posao ali oni imaju kapitala sirom sveta..isuvise su veliki da propadnu.Pre ce EU da propadne 100 puta nego ameri.

"too big to fail"

zvuči mi poznato. gde li sam to čuo :ph34r:
razmislio bih ja još malo na tvom mestu

Bitno je da sa RTB Bor nije ponovljena greška, sad kad ga masno zavale zemlja će se iščupati iz krize :) Uopšte ne sumnjam da se ovde u svaki posao neko ugradi ali na kraju krajeva bolje i da se sve to pokrade i proda nekom ko će raditi nego da stoji i truli.

ima tu istine

#292 Gojko & Stojko

Gojko & Stojko
  • Members
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 00:58

Iz ovdasnjeg SMH:

China must reform or die

A Chinese two-star general has warned his conservative Communist Party masters and firebrand People's Liberation Army colleagues that China must either embrace US-style democracy or accept Soviet-style collapse.

As officers of similar rank rattle their sabres against US aircraft carriers in the Yellow and South China seas, General Liu Yazhou says China's rise depends on adopting America's system of government rather than challenging its dominance off China's eastern coast.

''If a system fails to let its citizens breathe freely and release their creativity to the maximum extent, and fails to place those who best represent the system and its people into leadership positions, it is certain to perish,'' writes General Liu Yazhou in Hong Kong's Phoenix magazine, which is widely available on news stands and on the internet throughout China.

The fact of General Liu's article suggests China's political and ideological struggles are more lively than commonly thought, ahead of a rotation of leaders in the Central Military Commission and then the Politburo in 2012.

''The secret of US success is neither Wall Street nor Silicon Valley, but its long-surviving rule of law and the system behind it,'' he says. ''The American system is said to be 'designed by genius and for the operation of the stupid'.

''A bad system makes a good person behave badly while a good system makes a bad person behave well. Democracy is the most urgent thing, without it there can be no sustainable rise.''

General Liu was promoted recently from deputy political commissar of the PLA Air Force to political commissar of the National Defence University. His father was a senior military officer and his father-in-law was Li Xiannian, one of Chinese communism's ''Eight Immortals'' - and a one-time president of China.

While many of China's ''princelings'' have exploited their revolutionary names to amass wealth and power, General Liu has exploited his pedigree to provide protection to push his contrarian and reformist views.

But General Liu's latest writings are extraordinary by any standards. His article urges China to shift its strategic focus from the country's developed coastal areas, including Hong Kong and Taiwan - ''the renminbi belt'' - towards resource-rich Central Asia.

But he argues that China will never have strategic reach by relying on wealth alone. ''A nation that is mindful only of the power of money is a backward and stupid nation,'' he writes. ''What we could believe in is the power of the truth.

''The truth is knowledge and knowledge is power.''

But such national power can only come with political transformation. ''In the coming 10 years, a transformation from power politics to democracy will inevitably take place,'' he says.

General Liu inverts the lesson that Chinese politicians have traditionally drawn from the collapse of the Soviet Union - that it was caused by too much political reform - by arguing that reform arrived too late.

Since 2008 the Communist Party has steadily tightened the political screws to stifle dissent.

Many Chinese are concerned that reforms have been blocked by powerful military, security, corporate and family groups that benefit from the status quo.

General Liu was famously outspoken until he stopped publishing his essays about five years ago.

It is unclear how his latest article appeared and whether he has backing within the system.

Last year Hong Kong's Open magazine published a leaked report of one of General Liu's internal speeches which raised the taboo topic of how some generals refused to lead troops into Tiananmen Square in 1989.

General Liu returned to the subject of Tiananmen in his Phoenix article, saying ''a nationwide riot'' was caused by the incompatibility of traditional power structures with reform.

Share & Enjoy

#293 down with the sickness

down with the sickness
  • Members
  • 8,325 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:53

Izuzetan chlanak i bravo za generala.

#294 yoyogi

yoyogi
  • Members
  • 6,418 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 13:44

QUOTE (Gojko & Stojko @ 12.08.2010, 08:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Iz ovdasnjeg SMH:

Share & Enjoy

Gojko, mislim da si se malo upecao na kineski Public Relations.

Taj general je kao pustiti generala Vuka Obradovica da prica 1992-ge kod nas.

Vise da Kina malo napravi otklon prema gazenju demonstranata tenkovima nego kao neka realna stvar koju neko sledi. Vise za Svet nego najava bilo cega lokalnog.

Zato je i izaslo u HKG a ne u Pekingu.

The Economist je nasao neke sagovornike iz kineskih vlasti koji su rekli - demokratija, mozda 2050-te. Dotle mi imamo zadatak da 100 miliona ljudi izvucemo iz bede na svakih 10 godina. Za sada, taj plan radi.

#295 Gojko & Stojko

Gojko & Stojko
  • Members
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 23:57

QUOTE (yoyogi @ 13.08.2010, 22:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gojko, mislim da si se malo upecao na kineski Public Relations.

Taj general je kao pustiti generala Vuka Obradovica da prica 1992-ge kod nas.

Vise da Kina malo napravi otklon prema gazenju demonstranata tenkovima nego kao neka realna stvar koju neko sledi. Vise za Svet nego najava bilo cega lokalnog.

Zato je i izaslo u HKG a ne u Pekingu.

The Economist je nasao neke sagovornike iz kineskih vlasti koji su rekli - demokratija, mozda 2050-te. Dotle mi imamo zadatak da 100 miliona ljudi izvucemo iz bede na svakih 10 godina. Za sada, taj plan radi.

Kaze u clanku lepo da je to nesto sto on misli da treba da se uradi, ne nesto sto se trenutno sprovodi u Kini. Naravno da plan radi, uvek je za efikasan izlazak iz siromastva bolja planska organizacija i cvrsta kontrola, funkcionalna demokratija je privilegija bogatih drustava. Pri cemu je masovan revolt populacije najbolji ubrzavac promena za rezim koji nije tu zbog samog sebe - u Njujork Tajmsu je pre par dana bio opsiran clanak o poboljsanjima zdravstvenog sistema u Kini (prosirenju pokrivenosti obaveznim osiguranjem i uslugama u bolnicama) kao rezultat revolta pacijenata i njihovih porodica.

SaE

#296 noskich

noskich
  • Members
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 14:10

Desilo se, Kina je prevazisla Japan as we speak:

http://www.telegraph...st-economy.html

http://en.wikipedia....public_of_China

The economy of the People's Republic of China is the world's second largest[5] after the United States, with a nominal GDP of $4.99[6] trillion and PPP of $8.77 trillion in 2009.

#297 yoyogi

yoyogi
  • Members
  • 6,418 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 14:52

QUOTE (noskich @ 17.08.2010, 22:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Desilo se, Kina je prevazisla Japan as we speak:

http://www.telegraph...st-economy.html

http://en.wikipedia....public_of_China

The economy of the People's Republic of China is the world's second largest[5] after the United States, with a nominal GDP of $4.99[6] trillion and PPP of $8.77 trillion in 2009.

Koje uzbudjenje, kako je ovo bilo iznenanadno! Desilo se u delicu milenijuma, niko nije primetio.

2005. Kina je bila na pola gde je danas, sa GDP kao Francuska. 7% rasta duplira ekonomiju za 10 godina, sa kineskim rastom od 10-13% to im se desilo za 5 godina.
Ovim tempom ce za 10 godina prevazici Ameriku.

Ne secam se tacno brojki, mislim da je bilo da je Kina pokrivala 32% svetske razmene pred 1. svetski rat, izgubila korak sa Zapadom u industrijalizaciji, onda Mao Ce Tung sveo kinesko ucesce u razmeni na 6%. Zadni put kada sam citao bilo je gore na 16 %. Ko misli da su Kinezi svuda, sada su tek na pola onoga gde su bili pre 100 godina u svetskoj razmeni.

Japanu su glavni trgovinski partner, vise nego Amerika, vec 5 godina.

#298 Gojko & Stojko

Gojko & Stojko
  • Members
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:39

Iz ovdasnjeg SMH:

Scare over rare-earth minerals underlines fear of a rising China

For a panicked moment last week, it seemed China had decided to cut off exports to Japan of a little-known, yet vital, ingredient in everything from iPhones to cruise missiles and wind turbines.

The report by London's Industrial Metals magazine, taken up by The New York Times, was quickly proved false. But the scare riveted much attention on China's quiet near-monopolisation of the raw material for the high-tech industries - rare-earth elements.

China controls 97 per cent of the global output, according to the US Government Accountability Office. Rare-earth minerals are 17 metals whose magnetic properties allow the manufacture of light-weight, super-miniaturised components. They are essential for gadgets such as iPods and digital cameras, flat-screen TVs and smartphones.

They are key to military hardware such as the laser guidance systems in the US F-22 Raptor fighter jet, and are indispensable in renewable energy technologies such as batteries for electric cars, wind turbines and high-efficiency light bulbs.

A Chinese stockbroking analyst, Min Li of Yuanta Securities, was quoted by Reuters as saying: "Rare earth for China is like oil to the Middle East." Except China's rare-earth dominance makes the OPEC cartel, controlling 40 per cent of global oil, look like a wide-aisle 24/7 supermarket by comparison.

The Pentagon is studying potential US military vulnerability. According to The Wall Street Journal, a US military research analyst has written in the Joint Force Quarterly that "China appears to be holding an unlikely trump card". A US Congressional committee is holding an inquiry of its own.

Although China is not blackbanning Japan, it is tightening its shipments of rare-earth ores. It has gradually limited exports since 2005, and last month it cut export quotas for 2010 by 40 per cent because, it said, its domestic industries needed them.

A scary example of the sinister side of China's gathering power? Three quick points.

First, rare earths are not especially rare. Some are more plentiful in the ground than tin. They were named because, before World War II, there was no known method for mass extraction. When scientists worked it out, they put europium in TV sets to give us red. Colour TV was born.

Second, China has a near-monopoly of output, but not of reserves. China has 59 per cent share of known reserves, but the rest is under the ground in Australia, Canada, the US and India, among others.

Australia has Arafura Resources (25 per cent owned by a Chinese state-controlled company) and, until the mid-1980s the world's dominant producer was a US mine at Mountain Pass in California, which closed down years ago.

It's just that China is the country doing the most digging. Why? Price. This is the third point. China is the lowest-cost producer. It flooded the world market with cheap rare earths. From 1990 to 2008, it boosted exports by an extraordinary 1000 per cent, and this pushed down export prices by 60 per cent. Mines elsewhere shut down, points out an Australian expert on mining and energy, Mike Komesaroff.

One of the reasons China is such a low-cost producer? It's a filthy process, and China has been lax with environmental policing. Large tracts of land have been ruined by toxic tailings laced with radioactive waste. Many workers have been harmed.

As global demand grows and Chinese supply tightens, other mines in other countries will become profitable. The market will supply a solution. The owner of Mountain Pass, Molycorp Inc, has plans to reopen by 2012. In other words, don't panic.

Beijing's real cleverness is not in cornering the rare-earths market. That's standard, old-fashioned predatory pricing. It has paid a serious environmental and human price for a temporary advantage. It's not even a big trade, worth only $US1.5 billion ($1.56 billion) a year at current prices.

The truly smart Chinese move is how it has put this advantage to use as a lure to encourage foreign companies to move manufacturing to China.

With tax rebates and other mechanisms, the authorities have made rare-earth elements 31 per cent cheaper to a foreign company that makes, say, wind turbines, in China instead of at home.

That, plus China's $US150 billion investment in wind turbines, means it is rapidly becoming the world leader in a renewable energy industry with tremendous growth potential. Likewise, its rare-earth advantage plus a $US29 billion investment in research supporting electric cars will help cement its lead in another growth sector.

America's General Motors was once the leader in making rare-earth batteries for electric cars. With the Pentagon, it perfected the technique used in Toyota's Prius. But GM saw no future for it, and sold the factory to China.

In 2002, the new owner rebuilt it in China. "Not only did the US lose its rare-earth production capacity, it also threw away its technological lead," Komesaroff says. This is the real lesson. China is an adaptive learner, combining multiple elements of policy to pursue a technological, commercial and economic advantage. It uses state-owned firms but also tax policy, research and development policy, the banking system and much more, the octopus-like arms of a centralised strategy.

What's missing? Beijing is not relying on cheap labour. China's success has already pushed its factory wages way above those of Vietnam and others.

Should we be worried?

China wants what Australia, Japan, the US and others already have - a rich country with high living standards. There's nothing sinister about that.

The open question is how China will deploy its wealth. China has developed under the rubric of "peaceful rise". What happens when it is risen?

Peter Hartcher is the Sydney Morning Herald's international editor.

Share & Enjoy

#299 leclerc

leclerc
  • Banned
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:09

Da je samo kineski rare-earth monopol, a proizvodnja negde drugde, ne bi bio problem, ali...

Evo jedne priče "za laku noć" (ovo može i dvosmisleno da zvuči :) )

How China Bought Magnequench (link)

Magnequench had a unique expertise in the manufacture of high-powered neodymium magnets, which it pioneered in the 1980s for its parent company, General Motors, to use in airbags and mechanical sensors. When GM restructured in the early 1990s, the company began to divest itself of subsidiaries that were not in its "core competence." Magnequench, in spite of its high-tech pedigree-and the fact that it provided critical component parts to "precision guided munitions" that were then in great demand by the U.S. Department of Defense-was put up for sale.

Reportedly, Magnequench supplied 85 percent of the neodymium magnets used in servo motors for PGMs,[5] but neodymium magnets are far more important and ubiquitous than their use in advanced weaponry might suggest. They are the sole reason high-speed, high-capacity computer data storage devices can work. They are found in literally every computer in the world, and in 2004, Magnequench, together with its merger partner NEO Material Technologies (and its integrated Chinese joint-venture partners), supplied about 80 percent of the world market share of neodymium and rare-earth oxide powders used in those magnets

So when GM put Magnequench on the block in 1995, who should come up with the $70 million asking price?[7] An investment consortium headed by Archibald Cox Jr. (son of the illustrious Watergate prosecutor) acting in concert with two Chinese state-owned metals firms, San Huan New Material and China National Nonferrous Metals Import and Export Company (CNNMIEC), which had been pestering GM to sell Magnequench since 1993.

In the deal, the two Chinese firms took at least a 62 percent majority of Magnequench shares, with the senior Chinese investor taking over as the company's chairman and Cox as chief executive officer (CEO)

But the United States government surely would not permit the Chinese simply to walk in and take over a significant U.S. high-tech firm, would it? Several sources indicate that CFIUS did reach a "mitigating agreement"[14] with Magnequench's new owners that the Chinese companies could not remove Magnequench's production equipment or jobs from the U.S. for a period of ten years.[15]

It is, however, an old Chinese tradition that "rules are made to be broken" (shang you zhengce, xia you duice). Magnequench's Chinese owners cleverly reinterpreted the CFIUS conditions. One Magnequench employee reported that shortly after the Chinese took over, Magnequench's neodymium-iron-boron magnet production line was "duplicated in China" and that, after the Chinese "made sure that it worked, they shut down" the U.S. production in Indiana. The employee added, "I believe the Chinese entity wanted to shut the plant down from the beginning. They are rapidly pursuing this technology."[16]

It is quite likely that the Chinese government realized (even if the U.S. government did not) that neodymium-iron-boron supermagnets are absolutely essential to the assembly of U.S. precision weaponry and that there was basically only one U.S. supplier of those magnets to the U.S. defense firms that assembled such arms.

Ima u ovom članku i drugih zanimljivih stvari, ali ja sam hteo da izdvojim ovu - kako je moguće da Kinezi kupe ovu strateški važnu firmu? Ne znam, ali, kao što vidite, moguće je.
Da li je ovo jedinstven primer? Sumnjam. Kad su Kinezi uspeli da kupe ovu firmu i praktično ukradu strateški važnu visoku tehnologiju, šta očekivati za neku manje važnu firmu i tehnologiju?

#300 noskich

noskich
  • Members
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 13:52

http://www.time.com/...2024090,00.html

I love the idea of bipartisanship. Just the image of Democrats and Republicans coming together makes me smile. "Finally," I say to myself, "American government is working." But then I look at what they actually agree on, and I begin to pine for paralysis.

On Sept. 29, the House of Representatives passed a bill with overwhelming support from both Democrats and Republicans. It would punish China for keeping its currency undervalued by slapping tariffs on Chinese goods. Everyone seems to agree that it's about time. But it isn't. The bill is at best pointless posturing and at worst dangerous demagoguery. It won't solve the problem it seeks to fix. More worrying, it is part of growing anti-Chinese sentiment in the U.S. that misses the real challenge of China's next phase of development. (See "Geithner: We Need to Toughen Up with China.")

There's no doubt that China keeps the renminbi, its currency, undervalued so it can help its manufacturers sell their toys, sweaters and electronics cheaply in foreign markets, especially the U.S. and Europe. But this is only one of a series of factors that have made China the key manufacturing base of the world. (The others include low wages, superb infrastructure, hospitality to business, compliant unions and a hard-working labor force.) A simple appreciation of the renminbi will not magically change all this. (See pictures of China's infrastructure boom.)

Chinese companies make many goods for less than 25% of what they would cost to manufacture in the U.S. Making those goods 20% more expensive (because it's reasonable to suppose that without government intervention, China's currency would increase in value against the dollar by about 20%) won't make American factories competitive. The most likely outcome is that it would help other low-wage economies like Vietnam, India and Bangladesh, which make many of the same goods as China. So Walmart would still stock goods at the lowest possible price, only more of them would come from Vietnam and Bangladesh. Moreover, these other countries, and many more in Asia, keep their currencies undervalued as well. As Helmut Reisen, head of research for the Development Center at the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, wrote recently in an essay, "There are more than two currencies in the world."

We've seen this movie before. From July 2005 to July 2008, under pressure from the U.S. government, Beijing allowed its currency to rise against the dollar by 21%. Despite that hefty increase, China's exports to the U.S. continued to grow mightily. Of course, once the recession hit, China's exports slowed, but not as much as those of countries that had not let their currencies rise. So even with relatively pricier goods, China did better than other exporting nations. (See pictures of the making of modern China.)

Look elsewhere in the past and you come to the same conclusion. In 1985 the U.S. browbeat Japan at the Plaza Accord meetings into letting the yen rise. But the subsequent 50% increase did little to make American goods more competitive. Yale University's Stephen Roach points out that since 2002, the U.S. dollar has fallen in value by 23% against all our trading partners, and yet American exports are not booming. The U.S. imports more than it exports from 90 countries around the world. Is this because of currency manipulation by those countries, or is it more likely a result of fundamental choices we have made as a country to favor consumption over investment and manufacturing? (Comment on this story.)

Coming: The New China
The real challenge we face from China is not that it will keep flooding us with cheap goods. It's actually the opposite: China is moving up the value chain, and this could constitute the most significant new competition to the U.S. economy in the future. (See "Five Things the U.S. Can Learn from China.")

For much of the past three decades, China focused its efforts on building up its physical infrastructure. It didn't need to invest in its people; the country was aiming to produce mainly low-wage, low-margin goods. As long as its workers were cheap and worked hard, that was good enough. But the factories needed to be modern, the roads world-class, the ports vast and the airports efficient. All these were built with a speed and on a scale never before seen in human history.

Now China wants to get into higher-quality goods and services. That means the next phase of its economic development, clearly identified by government officials, requires it to invest in human capital with the same determination it used to build highways. Since 1998, Beijing has undertaken a massive expansion of education, nearly tripling the share of GDP devoted to it. In the decade since, the number of colleges in China has doubled and the number of students quintupled, going from 1 million in 1997 to 5.5 million in 2007. China has identified its nine top universities and singled them out as its version of the Ivy League. At a time when universities in Europe and state universities in the U.S. are crumbling from the impact of massive budget cuts, China is moving in exactly the opposite direction. In a speech earlier this year, Yale president Richard Levin pointed out, "This expansion in capacity is without precedent. China has built the largest higher-education sector in the world in merely a decade's time. In fact, the increase in China's postsecondary enrollment since the turn of the millennium exceeds the total postsecondary enrollment in the United States."

The Benefits of Brainpower
What does this unprecedented investment in education mean for China — and for the U.S.? Nobel Prize–winning economist Robert Fogel of the University of Chicago has estimated the economic impact of well-trained workers. In the U.S., a high school-educated worker is 1.8 times as productive, and a college graduate three times as productive, as someone with a ninth-grade education. China is massively expanding its supply of high school and college graduates. And though China is still lagging far behind India in the services sector, as its students learn better English and train in technology — both of which are happening — Chinese firms will enter this vast market as well. Fogel believes that the increase in high-skilled workers will substantially boost the country's annual growth rate for a generation, taking its GDP to an eye-popping $123 trillion by 2040. (Yes, by his estimates, in 2040 China would be the largest economy in the world by far.) (See portraits of Chinese workers.)

Whether or not that unimaginable number is correct — and my guess is that Fogel is much too optimistic about China's growth — what is apparent is that China is beginning a move up the value chain into industries and jobs that were until recently considered the prerogative of the Western world. This is the real China challenge. It is not being produced by Beijing's currency manipulation or hidden subsidies but by strategic investment and hard work. The best and most effective response to it is not threats and tariffs but deep, structural reforms and major new investments to make the U.S. economy dynamic and its workers competitive. That's where we need bipartisan agreement. Someone? Anyone?