Photo

Acceptance

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
224 replies to this topic

#31 edrosenberg

edrosenberg
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 07 July 2001 - 17:39

Dr. Indiana:
While I can understand some of the concerns, I feel there's too much ado about nothing regarding religious education. People are now overly sensitive in Serbia, quite understandably so (once bitten, twice shy), and sometimes tend to make a big deal out of small issues.  

<!--message edited --><font size=-1>[ Izmena poruke: Dr. Indiana na dan 2001-07-07 17:43 ]</font>

Dr. Indiana,

If I edited your post , I'm sorry. Earlier today I tried to quote a small piece of your posting and may have deleted part of it instead.

I wanted to comment on the idea that in your university most students do not care about religion. Although I have no facts supporting it, I suspect many, many American students do not care either. ..quite a shame. I, personally, am not a member of an organized religion; however, my belief in God has sustained and comforted me in my difficult times and has, indeed, enriched my life.

#32 Dr. Indiana

Dr. Indiana
  • Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 July 2001 - 18:00

I edited the post myself after realising that it was quite off the topic - sorry about that. I just made an assumption re religious beliefs of students - I don't have any stats close at hand. I may be wrong, but that's the impression that I get.

For those who haven't read my original post I said that few uni students in Australia are religious, however there are often theological faculties within universities here. I will also add that catholic schools (primary & secondary) are quite numerous and often highly regarded.

#33 edrosenberg

edrosenberg
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 08 July 2001 - 00:56

Dr. Indiana:
I edited the post myself after realising that it was quite off the topic - sorry about that. I just made an assumption re religious beliefs of students - I don't have any stats close at hand. I may be wrong, but that's the impression that I get.

For those who haven't read my original post I said that few uni students in Australia are religious, however there are often theological faculties within universities here. I will also add that catholic schools (primary & secondary) are quite numerous and often highly regarded.

That's okay. Not knowing the language, I have been hunting and pecking. I thought I messed you up.

#34 edrosenberg

edrosenberg
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 08 July 2001 - 16:28

I have planted a seed of inclusion in Croatia. I wrote to an editorial board of a newspaper there.

It appears that Croatia has problems with the acceptance of its minorities...one of which is the Serb population.

I hope the situation can begin to improve.

Reading of these problems in my country and others saddens me. I truly have lived my words and have accepted diversity....and have reaped the benefits of doing so. I have learned and grown. We all could do the same.

#35 intruder

intruder
  • Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 09 July 2001 - 12:05

edrosenberg:
Intruder,

Have faith.  I  think jobs and opportunity  are going to come to  you soon. I will tell you with great sincerity that I believe you are good people. Once things straighten out a bit, you are going to do well.

I have participated in other forums over the last four years that I have been on the internet...and I will tell you without a doubt my Balkan experience has been the best....even the Albanian people during the worst of times a couple of years back always treated me politely and with respect.  In fact, to be honest, I still can't figure out how such good, intelligent people got into such a mess.  

In every nation (Serbian, Albanian, Croatian...) you can find both good and evil people.I'm really happy that your personal experience with Balkan and its people has been very positive.
But...You've been talking to well educated, informed and reasonable people and you might didn't have a chance to see the other side.You need to talk to someone who is not using internet, who has no education and who is a voter also, as we honest and polite people are.Then you will get a better picture and you will find out why all of those ugly things have happened.

I will vote for a peace and tolerance on Balkan but the other side of Serbia will vote for Slobodan Milosevic or Vojislav Seselj (you know this two very well, don't you?).For a long period of time (more than ten years), they were majority in Serbia and they got us into such a mess.Same story in Croatia and other countries in this part of Europe.
Anyway, I hope that time of war is over and that dialogue will take place instead.War criminals will be tried in Hague and the rest of us will contribute to integration of Balkan into Europe and Intentional community.

I'm glad that you are aware that we are not a bunch of savages.

Best of wishes,

intruder

#36 edrosenberg

edrosenberg
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 09 July 2001 - 16:08

Ignorance is alive and well in our nation , Intruder. Perhaps, we have been fortunate,

A key, as you touched on, is education. This is why I liked the addition of religious, democracy, human rights, and tolerance training in your schools. This has to have a positive impact on your society... perhaps, not overnight, but in time.

A free media and the internet (hopefully available to everyone) will help. Of course, jobs and opportunity will not hurt your situation.

You'll get there, Intruder...one step at a time.

#37 edrosenberg

edrosenberg
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 09 July 2001 - 21:37

Sounds pretty inclusive to me...

Part of a current legislative bill defining Serbia's national holidays proposes giving employees the right to choose which religious holidays they wish to observe.

#38 edrosenberg

edrosenberg
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 July 2001 - 22:35

One thing is for certain. If there are any incidents of intolerance, hatred, or discrimination aimed at any group in Serbia and/or the region, the Humanitarian Law Center will respond and B92 will report them.

#39 branka n.

branka n.
  • Members
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 11 July 2001 - 10:51

Hi Ed,

I must say that I'm not so sure that any incidents of intolerance, hatred, or discrimination in Serbia would be dealt with properly, simply because it's well known that those responsible for violence during the recent Gay parade got away with it without any legal consequences for their actions.
I know, that's only one example-but to me it speaks volumes about Serbian government's 'commitment' to justice and equality...as well as their determination in prosecuting criminals & thugs.

I only wish I could share your optimism about current situation in Serbia, I think it will take a long time before things truly change and people become truly tolerant.

Sincerely,
Branx

[ Izmena poruke: branka n. na dan 2001-07-11 12:06 ]

#40 edrosenberg

edrosenberg
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 11 July 2001 - 21:17

Branx,

I am going to keep moving forward searching for the positive and posting what I find.

Let's see what happens.

Next year's Gay Pride parade will be a good way to assess any progress. My guess, at this point, is that there will be an adequate police presence; however, it will not be needed since confrontation of any sort will greatly diminish.

My words are etched in stone...well, at least, they appear here at B92.

Will I eat crow, or will I serve it up to any naysayers?

We shall see.

#41 branka n.

branka n.
  • Members
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 11 July 2001 - 21:54

Hi Ed,

It might be that I sound very bitter in my previous posting. That could be partly due to the fact that I was really shocked because of what happened at the Gay Parade, but probably even more so because of the reaction of the public& people present there who were just standing by or applauding the mindless violence and thugery exercised on their fellow citizens (who were just walking down the street in a joyous group that day).
I also have a huge problem understanding that those responsible for violence will not be held accountable.
Sure wouldn't like to be gay and have to live in Serbia, that almost equates to martyrdom in my eyes now.
However, let's try to put on a brave face and look out for the positive and hope, let's really hope for a better future for Serbia and its people, as well as those in their vicinity.

#42 edrosenberg

edrosenberg
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 11 July 2001 - 22:06

branka n.:
Hi Ed,

It might be that I sound very bitter in my previous posting. That could be partly due to the fact that I was really shocked because of what happened at the Gay Parade, but probably even more so because of the reaction of the public& people present there who were just standing by or applauding the mindless violence and thugery exercised on their fellow citizens (who were just walking down the street in a joyous group that day).
I also have a huge problem understanding that those responsible for violence will not be held accountable.
Sure wouldn't like to be gay and have to live in Serbia, that almost equates to martyrdom in my eyes now.
However, let's try to put on a brave face and look out for the positive and hope, let's really hope for a better future for Serbia and its people, as well as those in their vicinity. 

That's the spirit!

[ Izmena poruke: edrosenberg na dan 2001-07-11 23:07 ]

#43 edrosenberg

edrosenberg
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 21 July 2001 - 02:22

I have not posted for a while, but I am still with you. I read B92 news reports every day.

#44 branka n.

branka n.
  • Members
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 21 July 2001 - 02:46

Hi Ed, good to know you are still with us.
I've been away from the forum for a couple of days, though it seems not much has happened meanwhile.
How are things with you?
Has your son got somewhere with his plans to organise a gig in Serbia?

[ Izmena poruke: branka n. na dan 2001-07-21 04:26 ]

#45 edrosenberg

edrosenberg
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 21 July 2001 - 03:44

Hello, Branka.

I have been wound up, like many Americans, with Bush's Faith-based Initiative.

My son's group would knock the socks off of the people in Belgrade. They played in New York City to a packed house the other night. They may do a European tour at some point. I'd like to see them play in Serbia. I'd be sure to come with them.