Photo

Acceptance

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
224 replies to this topic

#16 edrosenberg

edrosenberg
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 02 July 2001 - 22:46

Well,Branka, I am glad I posted. There appears to be the smell of optimism in the air relating to Yugoslavia's future. Perhaps, I can help in a positive way here and there.

I'll keep visiting and reading B92 news.

Thanks again to you, Sister, and the Coolest One for the warm welcome.

By the way, my daughter visited London a couple years ago and had a wonderful time.

#17 branka n.

branka n.
  • Members
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 03 July 2001 - 09:35

Ed, as you have said recently, it's a 'new dawn' for Serbia and all I'm saying in that regard is let's hope it all changes for the better.

London is a great city with something interesting for everyone, although I've been living here for years, I can still say there are many places that I have not discovered yet..
My regards to you & yours,
Branx

[ Izmena poruke: branka n. na dan 2001-07-03 10:40 ]

#18 intruder

intruder
  • Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 July 2001 - 11:01

My opinion is that we made a small step toward the EU, but we still have a long way to go.

For a country where people are being brutally beaten up for being gay, I don't have much of a hope.If those things are taking part in Belgrade, what would happen in some rural parts of Serbia? Gays have every right like all of us does.I could understand that someone doesn't share my point of view, that disagrees with me, and thinks that gays should not parade in our city, but I can not understand why gays should be beaten? For being something else than a rest of us are? Gays are not violating any law of this country...

If we are claiming to be a part of the Europe, we should act like one.

intruder

PS - it appears that Djindjic is just right person for Serbia at this moment.That statement could not stand for Kostunica.I must admit that I'm disgusted with him lately (hmm... let say from last Oct.)

#19 edrosenberg

edrosenberg
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 03 July 2001 - 11:50

I think Serbia is going to do just fine, Branka. It really is a New Dawn.

#20 edrosenberg

edrosenberg
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 03 July 2001 - 12:03

Intruder,

I must admit being surprised when I heard of the beatings and other problems relating to the Gay Pride Parade, but, at least, the issue is being widely discussed. ..better now than ten years down the road.

#21 edrosenberg

edrosenberg
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 July 2001 - 02:49

Prime Minister Djindjic continues to be talking about the things that truly will bring Serbia closer to the European community and the European Union.

Today he mentioned the securing of govermental participation from Serbia's ethnic minorities.

Sounds pretty inclusive to me.

#22 edrosenberg

edrosenberg
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 July 2001 - 04:10

I would like to add something relating to inclusion. (I was interrupted earlier by a severe thunderstorm in my area.)

If Prime Minister Djindjic can keep three words in the back of his mind in all of his dealings now and in the future...in fact, if any Serbian or Yugoslavian leader can do so also, then your nation will do well both for its people and in the world arena.

Everyone
is
Included

Remember them well...

#23 edrosenberg

edrosenberg
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 July 2001 - 21:56

Nothing but good, in my opinion, will come out of adding Religious Education ( with the option of taking classes in democracy, human rights, and tolerance instead, I believe) to the curriculum of Serbian schools.

There truly is a New Dawn in Serbia.

In making this announcement, Prime Minister Djindjic mentioned that there were consultations with "different religious communities"...Again, this sounds pretty inclusive to me...and respectful too.

#24 branka n.

branka n.
  • Members
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 06 July 2001 - 10:09

Hello Ed,

I must say that, although I understand your point of view and possible reasons for being in favour of the introduction of Religious Education into schools, I'm not in favour of such radical measures when it comes to curriculum changes in Serbia.

Some changes are inevitable, there's no doubt about that, history curriculum has to be scraped and a new one implemented, but any Religious education, I'm afraid will not be beneficial if it's made compulsory at this day and age.

In Vojvodina, where I come from, I feel this is going to be a huge issue. I remember from my school days, majority of kids there are either of different religion than Orthodox or not religious at all. How is compulsory Religious Education in Orthodox Christianity going to be beneficial in these parts of the country, I can't envisage really.

By far the biggest problem I have with this new law is that Religious Education is going to be made compulsory, I'm of a belief that it should be non-compulsory and open as an option to those kids whose parents decide their kids would benefit from such education.

When I used to teach in a (private)Californian primary school, we used to ban any religious teachings or doctrines in school and from my experience kids who had intensive religious education at home or went to Sunday school used to be rather confused about it, I can't say I've noticed any positive influences from those practises, if truth be told, I'm convinced these teaching were actually counter-productive. I am of the opinion that kids 7-8 years of age can not comprehend majority of religious teachings and end up being more confused than 'enlightened' through such old fashioned educational practises and doctrines.

Generally speaking European religiousness has been diminishing with time, Americans have Religious Education as an optional teaching practise (Sunday schools), so I can't see why should it be made compulsory in Yugoslavia.

#25 orso

orso
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 06 July 2001 - 11:02

branka n.:

By far the biggest problem I have with this new law is that Religious Education is going to be made compulsory, I'm of a belief that it should be non-compulsory and open as an option to those kids whose parents decide their kids would benefit from such education. 

Religious education in schools from September
16:57 BELGRADE, Thursday  Serbian Prime Minister Zoran Djindjic announced today that religious education would be available in schools from the beginning of next term.
Following talks with representatives of different religious communities, Djindjic confirmed that parents and pupils would be able to choose between either religious education or classes in democracy, human rights and tolerance.
The prime minister said that the Education Ministry would have to approve the books used and to monitor the training of teaching staff but, if all goes well, quality education in accordance with the law begins from September 1.
Education Minister Gaso Knezevic emphasised that the majority of Serbian people wanted religious education in schools.
The education ministry will not act as a censor, Knezevic added. (B92)

I hope this will cheer you up a bit.

#26 branka n.

branka n.
  • Members
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 06 July 2001 - 11:42

Orso, thanks for the information. It definitely cheered me up because this decision by the Education Ministry promotes exactly what I was talking about: a CHOICE to have religious education or a CHOICE not to have religious education, but instead opt for classes in democracy, human rights and tolerance.
I know what classes I would have chosen for my kids-in case I had any, that is.

#27 edrosenberg

edrosenberg
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 July 2001 - 12:49

Hello, Branka,

As you would probably guess, I, personally, would not support any one religion being favored in a public school, but I would not have any problems with a general discussion of all religious thought....especially the great values and virtues within them which is the goodness that I see.

Closeness to the Spiritual world, in my view, is not only good for the soul and enhances one's life...but also, in a practical sense, may help us improve human relations and appreciate the Good Earth better.

If no religious education were an option or if it was not available, I think the courses on democracy, human rights, and tolerance would greatly help a society and the individual too.

This program would be a very good step in the right direction, as I see it, for any nation...including the U.S.

#28 intruder

intruder
  • Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 July 2001 - 13:28

As I understand this issue, there will be an option of taking classes in democracy, human rights, and tolerance instead.But that is not good enough for me.

I come from Vojvodina, also and I share Brankas point of view.

Serbia has many other huge problems and introduction of Religious Education in elementary schools is one big step back, as I see this.At the age of 7, kids will become indoctrinated and I just don't see how this idea will bring benefit to our society.

Our government should think how to pump up some money into our ruined economy, how to open some new jobs and how to give a hope to upcoming generations that things will get better in this country.We should seek for a solutions of these problems instead of wasting our time and energy on topics such as this one...

Instead, they are introducing religious education into elementary schools... Well done...

intruder

#29 Dr. Indiana

Dr. Indiana
  • Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 06 July 2001 - 15:11

While I can understand some of the concerns, I feel there's too much ado about nothing regarding religious education. People are now overly sensitive in Serbia, quite understandably so (once bitten, twice shy), and sometimes tend to make a big deal out of small issues.

[ Izmena poruke: Dr. Indiana na dan 2001-07-07 17:43 ]

#30 edrosenberg

edrosenberg
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 July 2001 - 19:36

Intruder,

Have faith. I think jobs and opportunity are going to come to you soon. I will tell you with great sincerity that I believe you are good people. Once things straighten out a bit, you are going to do well.

I have participated in other forums over the last four years that I have been on the internet...and I will tell you without a doubt my Balkan experience has been the best....even the Albanian people during the worst of times a couple of years back always treated me politely and with respect. In fact, to be honest, I still can't figure out how such good, intelligent people got into such a mess.