IndyCar sezona 2018

• Please log in to reply
519 replies to this topic

#31 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 21:41

Ozvanicen kalendar za narednu sezonu, Portland umesto Glena, nista od trka u Meksiku:

The 2018 Verizon IndyCar Series race schedule, by venue, is as follows:

March 11 – Streets of St. Petersburg
April 7 – Phoenix Raceway
April 15 – Streets of Long Beach
April 22 – Barber Motorsports Park
May 12 – Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course
May 27 – Indianapolis 500
June 2-3 – Raceway at Belle Isle Park
June 9 – Texas Motor Speedway
June 24 – Road America
July 8 – Iowa Speedway
July 15 – Streets of Toronto
July 29 – Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
Aug. 19 – Pocono Raceway
Aug. 25 – Gateway Motorsports Park
Sept. 2 – Portland International Raceway
Sept. 16 – Sonoma Raceway

Ponovo 17 trka uz dabl-heder u Detroitu, isti odnos autodroma/ulica/kratkih ovala/superovala kao i prosle sezone.

#32 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:02

#33 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 15:15

Jos uvek postoji sansa da se doda 18. trka, u Meksiko Sitiju:

...series boss Mark Miles said the possibility remained for the addition of a race in Mexico City next August.

"Yes, I think there is still a possibility of adding Mexico City for next year," Miles said. "We felt like with Portland being nailed down, most of the schedule – a schedule we're happy to have as our final schedule for next year – is set [and] ought to be public. But there is ongoing work in Mexico City to get to the track there. I think it's quite close. We're optimistic about the possibility, even to be added for the 2018 schedule.

"If it happens, it will be in there probably just after Mid-Ohio (July 29, -Ed.), where we have a little longer break in the middle of our summer than we'd like. Everything we know about the opportunity there is exciting. Great track, great facility. Obviously huge market. A lot of open-wheel fans and IndyCar fans. We hope that can come together, but the schedule works for us if it doesn't.

#34 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 15:20

MILLER: On the right track
Thursday, 12 October 2017
By Robin Miller / Images by Abbott, Levitt/LAT

abbott_gateway_0817_8225.JPG

Yeah, yeah, it took longer to get out than desired (relax, the first race still isn't til March), there is still a big gap between July 29 and Aug. 19 (unless Mexico City fills it), and a week between Portland and Sonoma probably isn't as cost effective as many would like.

But Phoenix and Long Beach are only a week apart in April, so that's a big expense positive, and it's pretty much a cut and paste from this year.

IndyCar's Mark Miles and Jay Frye want continuity and they want the end of the season to have some pop – so that's why you should take a good, long look at the 2018 IndyCar schedule because it's probably going to have a totally different finish in 2019.

Miles is a lifetime tennis guy who's spent the past four years trying to learn the nuances and politics of IndyCar racing along with volleying television, schedules, promoters and owners' egos. OK, he's never going to be able to recite Indy 500s winners from 1950 until now but he's paying attention.

levitt_son_0917-14593.jpg

He came in enamored with ending the season in Sonoma (pictured, above), having the banquet in San Francisco and making it a big weekend party for sponsors and a few friends and family. Your eyes don't lie and I know Miles could see there wasn't a lot of atmosphere, people or drama the past three years and it felt like anything but your championship-deciding finale.

At the same time he and most of the IndyCar nation were still trying to grasp what they'd seen a couple weeks earlier at Gateway (pictured, top). After a 14-year absence, we'd watched a gung-ho trio of Curtis Francois, Chris Blair and John Bommarito resurrect IndyCar racing with fantastic promotion, an enthusiastic crowd of 42,000 and a ballsy pass from Josef Newgarden to stake claim to his first championship.

It felt like a big deal because it was. It had early action and late drama and people stood and cheered like the old days. I don't care if 40 percent of then came from Indianapolis or Indiana – they came and they liked what they saw.

It's exactly the place for IndyCar to close out 2019 and listen to what Miles said a couple weeks ago: "I'd like to see our season end with our three strong formats culminating with an oval."

Bingo. You swap a parade where nothing ever happens without some crazy caution to a short oval where anything can happen. You end up on a traditional IndyCar track in the heartland of your fan base. You play in front of a big house, not an empty one.

And the timing is perfect because Sonoma's three-year contract is up after 2018.

I know there's also talk of moving Phoenix to the end and track president Bryan Sperber has been pushing hard to make PIR work the past two years but it appears to be too much to ask to replicate Gateway's gonzo attack and success.

Not sure if Miles and Frye – a big advocate of finishing on an oval – want to move a street race or add a street race to couple with Portland to close things out (tip of the hat to Sonoma for sticking with IndyCar in what has become NASCAR country) or even if they've got that far down the road but they're on the right track.

Literally and figuratively.

Edited by Rad-oh-yeah?, 13 October 2017 - 15:21.

#35 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 16:00

- Indi lajt tim Belardi razmatra ucesce na Indi 500 za ovu sezonu..

- Drejer & Rejnbolt nekadasnja Indikar ekipa koja zadnjih par sezona ucestvuje samo na Indi 500 razmatra da prosiri svoj program na jos par trka ove sezone.

#36 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 19:15

McLaren still undecided on 2018 Indy 500 run
Friday, 13 October 2017
By Marshall Pruett / Image by Scott LePage/LAT

lepage-170528-indy-13166_edited.jpg

McLaren executive director Zak Brown expects to see the company return and race at the Indianapolis 500, but there's no guarantee it will take place in 2018.

With two-time Formula 1 world champion Fernando Alonso at the controls, the McLaren-Honda-Andretti effort owned the headlines during an unforgettable month of May and gave the Verizon IndyCar Series a healthy bump in international interest. The circumstances that allowed Alonso to skip the Monaco Grand Prix in favor of Indy were also unique, made possible by the team's dreadful output using Honda's F1 power unit.

With significant changes to its Formula 1 team next year, namely a switch from Honda to Renault, the need to focus on restoring McLaren's place among the grand prix constructors could take precedence over a sophomore run for Alonso at Indy.

"We have a lot of changes going on and set the bar pretty damn high last year," Brown told RACER. "It will be hard to ever repeat that, but what we need to do as McLaren is have that type of breakthrough and impact. While the door is still open for conversations and conversations are ongoing, I think it's less likely than more likely that we'll get something put together for next year."

Brown says McLaren's change in engine suppliers is unrelated to the likely delay in competing with the Honda-powered Andretti Autosport team at the Brickyard.

"It's not for technical reasons," he continued. "It would need to be something special, and we have a few ideas we're working on but short of that, we're not going to go to Indy just to go to Indy. Right now, there are a couple of McLaren-like options, but it it's not of that caliber, we won't do it. But it's not a case of if we'll be back at Indy, but when."

Brown has declared McLaren's interest in fielding a full-time IndyCar entry, possibly as soon as 2019. If another Andretti collaboration were to happen, he says the team's expanded Indy 500 roster – which is already up to five cars next year and could include a sixth if Michael Shank Racing returns – would not be a deterrent.

"I'm not concerned if Michael says he can put together a competitive team with us," he added. "He needs to be concerned with how many cars he can run, but I don't. If he tells us he has a solution for us, I'm not concerned."

#37 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:33

- Ceka se zvanicna potvrda, ali kako stvari stoje dogodine ce tim Smit-Piterson Motorsport biti Tim Kanada - pored "Gradonacelnika" Hinca koji je prema glasinama dobio visegodisnji produzetak ugovora za bolid #5 u bolidu #7 vozice njegov zemljak Robert Vikens, nekadasnji sampion Formule Reno 3.5 i doskorasnji vozac Mercedesa u DTM sampionatu. Vikens je prosle godine imao par Indikar testova koji su prosli uglavnom uspesno, sad ce konacno dobiti priliku da pokaze koliko zna i ume!

JGS_6033-1.jpg

#38 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 15:55

Schmidt Peterson Motorsport’s Canadian ace James Hinchcliffe says the configuration of the 2018 universal aerokit will cause most difficulties for IndyCar drivers on the series' five temporary tracks.

Last week, Hinchcliffe got to test the SPM car equipped with the new universal aerokit at Mid-Ohio SportsCar Course, along with Chip Ganassi Racing’s Scott Dixon. The five-race winner, whose most recent victory came at Long Beach in April this year, said that he expects the street courses to be the biggest challenge as drivers adapt to the new-for-2018 aerokit.

Hinchcliffe told Motorsport.com: “Certainly there’s a big difference. I think IndyCar has done a good job in terms of the car being balanced and still comfortable, but it’s up to us to get used to relearning how to drive certain tracks, relearning braking points and so on. It’s a very noticeable loss of downforce.

“I think we’re actually going to feel the loss of downforce more at street circuits than we will on a road course. That seems a little weird because obviously Mid-Ohio and Barber are max-downforce tracks but street circuits are max-downforce as well – it’s just that you can’t run the super-low ride-heights you can at road courses. You’ve got to deal with bumps and so you don’t get the efficiency of the floor of the car.

“So now, with the 2018 car having so much downforce-generation switched from the top surfaces to the bottom, raising those ride-heights will make a more dramatic difference in terms of when you get on the brakes, corner entry speeds and things like that. And obviously with no street-course testing – the closest we can get is Sebring, for its bumps – then we’re going to be very busy in our practice sessions.”

Although Hinchcliffe said the reduced drag of the 2018 kit is very obvious on the straights, he said drivers would quickly adapt to that, and it would be the longer brake zones that would be the bigger challenge.

“You get used to the higher straightline speed pretty quickly because we’re used to ovals at 220-plus mph,” he said, “but obviously the 2018 car’s higher maximum speed combined with the lower downforce means you’re extending the brake zones and that’s always going to be a good thing for racing. I think it will force us to be more consistent, more precise.

“I didn’t get a chance to run behind Scott [Dixon, also at Mid-Ohio testing with Chip Ganassi Racing] but it sounds like these cars will be able to run much closer in traffic which opens up opportunities to pass. So when we make mistakes, there’ll be more of a penalty because there could be someone now able to follow right behind you, ready to make a pass when you mess up.”

Hinchcliffe echoed the sentiments of other drivers who’ve been able to sample the 2018 car, observing that the Firestone tires would probably need to allow a greater slip angle.

“Yeah, I think the tires will need to change because the tire we had for the high downforce manufacturers kits had a lot of grip but when it reached its limit it would break away quite quickly,” he commented. “That would be a confidence-killer for drivers, and if you want to see drivers getting sideways off corner, that’s a lot easier to do if we can feel it coming and it’s not just a sudden snap oversteer that makes us not want to do that next time through.”

Despite the reduction in overall downforce, Hinchcliffe said that he’s not expecting the 2018 cars to be much slower at roadcourses.

“Somewhere like Mid-Ohio, I reckon we’ll get down to just a second slower than we were doing this year,” he said. “The difference is how we get that speed. The minimum speeds in all the corners – even the slower corners like Turn 2 and Turn 12 – has dropped; and in the quick corners like Turn 4 and Turn 11, we’re going a big chunk slower. But then we’re making up a lot of time on the straightaways and we’ve got decent-sized straights there.

“It’s good. Speed through somewhere like Turn 4 is no longer just a function of who’s the bravest guy in terms of braking and rolling speed through. You can’t just come off the brakes and change down and then snap the throttle wide open. There’s more technique required.”

Hinchcliffe said that he is expecting to see a widened gap between fastest and slowest cars on the grid, and not just because of the renewed emphasis on driver skill.

“There’s no doubt that the downforce we had before was essentially a band-aid for poor mechanical setup,” he said, “so as we take downforce away, teams with a superior mechanical package are going to rise to the top. If you’ve been using downforce as a crutch in the past then you’re not going to have that any more.

“We’ve seen almost the entire field at Mid-Ohio covered by eight-tenths of a second before and that’s just not going to be the case in 2018. OK, some people will be worried about the field being more separated, but actually, once the green flag drops, the pockets of cars on the racetrack are going to be able to run closer together and race each other better. So even if the gap from the leader to the last-placed car is bigger than before, the spectacle will still be better than we’ve seen.”

Hinchcliffe is expected this week to be confirmed for a fourth straight season at SPM. Meanwhile for the second seat, DTM ace and compatriot Robert Wickens is believed to be favorite, after team owner Sam Schmidt narrowed his original list of 28 potential candidates down to four, just two weeks ago.

#39 /13/Ален Шмит/

/13/Ален Шмит/
  • Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 23:17

:hail:

wSH4GB2.jpg

#40 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:38

2017_i500_borgwarner3_1600x800.jpg?mw=12

Sato Shines with Gratitude during Unveiling of Likeness on Borg-Warner Trophy
October 17, 2017 | By Phillip B. Wilson, Indianapolis Motor Speedway

An anxious Takuma Sato leaned in, but that wasn’t close enough.

So he knelt for an even better view of his sterling-silver likeness on the 65-inch, 110-pound Borg-Warner Trophy when it was unveiled Tuesday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum.

“Wow,” said Sato, the winner of the 101st Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil on May 28. “That’s fantastic.”

The 104th likeness on the trophy met with his approval.

Sato repeated what he had told sculptor Will Behrends when examining a clay likeness during a visit to the artist’s workshop in Tryon, N.C.: “He’s actually a better guy.” It’s the 28th likeness Behrends has sculpted.

IMS President Doug Boles reminded that Sato defined himself as a great winner by “screaming at the top of his lungs” on the radio after winning the race in a duel with three-time Indy 500 winner Helio Castroneves of Team Penske.

“I almost want to scream today,” Sato said, “because I’m so happy.”

The first Japanese driver to ever win “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing” couldn’t stop smiling during the ceremony, which has become an annual tradition for the historic race. The one time that grin disappeared was for a startled moment, when Sato, a 40-year-old Tokyo native, slightly bumped the trophy during the photo session.

Sato flashed a frightened facial expression, then collected himself. He and the trophy were just fine. The smile returned, cameras started clicking again, and Sato eventually took selfie pictures of himself with the trophy.

Dapperly dressed in a black suit and tie with his black shoes buffed to a spiffy shine, Sato wore a winner’s ring on each hand. Always polite, he did his best to search for the appropriate words to describe his gratitude.

“Wow,” he said, “That’s a special moment. Thank you. Thank you so much. Thank you very much. Thank you very much everyone, first of all. Good afternoon.

“How long do we got today?”

Sato won the race while driving for Andretti Autosport but has since joined Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing.

Boles suggested another IMS duel that didn’t work out for Sato endeared him to race fans. Sato drove for RLL in the 2012 Indy 500 and crashed on the last lap while trying to pass eventual winner Dario Franchitti in Turn 1.

“You laid it all on the line in Turn 1,” Boles said. “You were going to win that race or crash trying. I think our fans knew that. When you had an opportunity to win this year, the people stayed around, they were excited, and that was really because they know that you know how important it is to win the Indy 500.”

Scott Gallett, BorgWarner vice president of marketing, public relations & government affairs, agreed with Boles that Sato’s likeness is on “the best trophy in the world.”

The trophy has been appraised at $3.5 million, Gallett said.

“But we think it’s pretty much priceless,” he said.

The same could be said for Sato’s reaction and genuine appreciation for his likeness appearing on that trophy. He always dreamed of winning the race but never had any idea about the “impact and power” of winning an Indy 500.

“Today, I look at the face, and he’s just a happy man,” Sato said of his likeness, “as I am.”

2018 race: The 102nd Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil is scheduled for Sunday, May 27. Fans can apply for tickets by visiting IMS.com.

#41 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 14:25

- Zvanicno potvrdjen Tim Kanada u Smit-Piterson Motorsportu - u sezoni 2018. za njih ce voziti Kanadjani Dzejms Hincklif u bolidu #5 i Robert Vikens u bolidu #7! :thumbs:

team_canada.jpg

#42 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 19:51

Hinchcliffe, Wickens confirmed at SPM
Wednesday, 18 October 2017
Marshall Pruett / Image by Levitt/LAT

levitt_RA_0617-03097.jpg

Schmidt Peterson Motorsports has confirmed its all-Canadian pairing of James Hinchcliffe and Robert Wickens will represent the Honda-powered Verizon IndyCar Series program. First mentioned by RACER several weeks ago, the close friends will be tasked with helping SPM to form its first consistent one-two punch since the team was formed in 2001.

"Not only am I really excited to be able to say I'll be back with SPM for next year and beyond, but I am also really looking forward to being teammates with one of my oldest friends," said Hinchcliffe who, like Wickens, hails from the outskirts of Toronto.

"Robbie and I grew up racing against one another, eventually took different paths, me staying in North America in open-wheel cars and him going off to Europe in sports cars, but it's pretty neat that we both ended up here and we get to live our dream of being professional racing drivers, together on the same team.

"I think 2018 is going to be a great year for the SPM organization, from having Robbie here to the team's new partnership with Honda and the 2018 aero kit; I just can't wait to get back on track and bring some good results home for the Arrow Electronics crew."

The last team with a Canadian theme to grace the IndyCar scene came from the Player's Forsythe Racing program, which delivered the 2003 Champ Car title with Paul Tracy. Launched by the Player's tobacco brand in the early 1990s as an initiative to groom English- and French-Canadian open-wheel talent, Player's made a significant impact by sponsoring racing series, teams and drivers across F2000, Formula Atlantic, Indy Lights, CART, and Champ Car.

David Empringham, Greg Moore, Bertrand Godin, Lee Bentham, Alex Tagiani, Patrick Carpentier, Tracy, and more achieved considerable success as a direct result of Player's support. In the case of SPM, its Canadian team owner, Ric Peterson, and the support of Arrow Electronics along with other sponsors have given the modern IndyCar series its first Canadian driving duo.

"This is an entirely new chapter to add to my racing career, and I am really excited for this opportunity that Schmidt Peterson Motorsports has given me," said Wickens, who amassed eight successful seasons of open-wheel racing before turning to the German DTM series in 2012.

"I think everyone knows the story by now that James and I grew up racing against one another in go karts, and to make it to the largest open-wheel racing series in North America together as teammates, it's crazy to think about. I am very thankful for the six years I had with everyone at Mercedes and DTM; those are memories I will cherish forever. I can't wait to truly see what the Verizon IndyCar Series is all about!"

For Peterson, the opportunity to showcase elite talent from his home country was too good to pass up.

"We're all very pleased to have Robert on board, and not just because he's another Canadian," he said. "He's obviously someone who has been on our radar for some time now, and we're excited about this new chapter in the SPM organization. We've been building a lot of momentum within the team and hope this latest addition will be a great next step as we move forward. I'm also really proud that we'll be able to represent 'Team Canada' and be able to showcase two great Canadian athletes."

#43 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 20:02

Attached File  22548823_1550997148289806_5851454377983193919_o.jpg   90.29KB   1 downloads

Attached File  JamesHinchcliffe-2007-robertwickens.jpg   62.15KB   1 downloads

Attached File  02-24-Hinch-Wickens-At-SPM-Shop.jpg   625.56KB   1 downloads

:)

#44 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 15:20

Evo i kalendara za Indi Lajt i ostale pratece serije:

Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires 2018 Schedule

March 9-11        
     Streets of St. Petersburg, FL         
    1.8-mile street course*

April 20-22
     Barber Motorsports Park
    2.3-mile road course*

May 10-12
     Indianapolis Motor Speedway   
    2.439-mile road course*

May 25
    2.5-mile oval

June 22-24
     Road America
    4.014-mile road course*

July 7-8
     Iowa Speedway
    .894-mile oval

July 13-15
     Streets of Toronto, Ontario, Canada   
    1.786-mile street course*

July 27-29
     Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
    2.258-mile road course*

August 24-25
     Gateway Motorsports Park
    1.25-mile oval

August 31- Sept. 2   
     Portland International Raceway
    1.967-mile road course*

*Doubleheader events

With the debut of the Tatuus PM-18, Pro Mazda will expand to a nine-event, sixteen-race schedule which includes two ovals, five road course and two street course venues. The Pro Mazda Classic series will cater to the previous generation car and award seperate points and purses.

Pro Mazda Presented by Cooper Tires 2018 Schedule

March 9-11    
    1.8-mile street course*
    +PMC

April 20-22
    Barber Motorsports Park
    2.3-mile road course*
    +PMC

May 10-12
    2.439-mile road course*
    +PMC

May 25
    Lucas Oil Raceway  
    .686-mile oval

June 22-24
    Road America
    4.014-mile road course
    +PMC

July 13-15

July 27-29
    2.258-mile road course*
    +PMC

August 24-25     
    Gateway Motorsports Park
    1.25-mile oval

August 31 - Sept. 2  
    1.967-mile road course*
    +PMC

*Doubleheader events
+PMC = Pro Mazda Classic Series

Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship Powered by Mazda 2018 Schedule

March 9-11
    1.8-mile street course*

May 10-12
    2.439-mile road course*

May 25
    Lucas Oil Raceway
    .686-mile oval

June 22-24
    Road America
    4.014-mile road course*

July 13-15        

July 27-29
    2.258-mile road course**

August 31 - Sept. 2    
    1.967-mile road course*

*Doubleheader events
**Tripleheader event

Coverage of all three championships will be available on Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Roku and Xbox One as well as Road To Indy TV and on the Road To Indy TV App. Worldwide live streaming and live timing is also available on racecontrol.indycar.com.

#45 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 15:24

- Nepotvrdjene glasine kazu da Montoja pregovara sa Semom Smitom oko angazmana za Indi 500. Ako dodje do ovoga to bi bio cetvrti SPM bolid za Indi (u #5 i #7 su standardni Hinc i novajlija Vikens za celu sezonu, u #77 je potvrdjen Tristan Gomendi samo za Indi).