101. Indi 500

• Please log in to reply
405 replies to this topic

#31 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 19:02

88 krugova, najbolji krug 222.548 mph, podigao se i vetar, izgleda da je to to za danas.

@Miki - kad sam bio klinac, moji drugari se lozili na Zvezdu i Partizan a ja na Meklaren. I kazu oni meni, kako mozes to da gledas, samo se vozaju u krug, nikad nigde ne stignu? Jebiga, mogu.

U sustini Indi nije mnogo drugaciji od bilo koje kruzne trke, ovo je najmanje oval medju svim ovalima, i prakticno vozi kao Monca nekad davno pre nego sto su je ispresecali sa sikanama.

U odnosu na tipicne ovale Indi je mnogo uzi, i sa krivinama bez nekog narocitog nagiba tako da je tehnika voznje slicna onoj na koju je Alonso navikao. Ono sto je tu izazov je konstantna velika brzina sto zahteva jako veliku preciznost od vozaca, ne sme biti naglih cimanja volanom. Takodje, blizina zidova poput Monaka, samo sto su ovde brzine (u kvalifikacijama) 380+ km/h za razliku od Monaka, sto nije za svakog - onomad Alen Dzons dosao, odvezao 5 krugova, parkirao bolid, i otisao pravo na aerodrom.

(Takodje netipican oval je i Pokono sa tri potpuno razlicite krivine, ali je on toliko sirok da je stil voznje potpuno drugaciji i slicniji standardnim ovalima.)

Ako ces godisnje da pogledas samo jednu ovalnu trku, onda preporucujem upravo Indi.

@Ray - Finiks se vratio na kalendar prosle godine nakon dobrih 10 godina pauze, i obe dosadasnje povratnicke trke su bile sranje. Staza je u medjuvremenu dok Indikar tu nije vozio preradjena i prilagodjena za Naskar i ovi bolidi ne voze dobro na njoj, imaju suvise "gripa" a osetljivi su na turbulentan vazduh, prakticno pate od istih problema kao F1 bolidi zbog kojih imaju problema sa preticanjem. Trke na drugim ovalima su bolje - vidi Teksas proslogodisnji na primer. Navodno, ovo bi trebalo da bude reseno sa novim aeropaketom naredne godine, videcemo da li ce uspeti ili ne.

#32 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 19:50

Jos par krugova, trenutno je na cifri 95.

#33 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 20:33

110 krugova, pocela je kisa, gotovo za danas. To je vise od pola duzine trke (200 krugova) i duze od uobicajene duzine F1 trke. Alonso godinama nije ovoliko izvezao u jednom danu!

Utiske dana i sveopste raspolozenje najbolje opisuje fotografija:

C-7BxKcXUAAQZm7.jpg

Inace, preko 800 hiljada gledalaca je pratilo ovaj test putem interneta, nezapamceno interesovanje s obzirom da je samo jedan bolid na stazi.

#34 MikiVeliki

MikiVeliki
  • Members
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 20:35

88 krugova, najbolji krug 222.548 mph, podigao se i vetar, izgleda da je to to za danas.

@Miki - kad sam bio klinac, moji drugari se lozili na Zvezdu i Partizan a ja na Meklaren. I kazu oni meni, kako mozes to da gledas, samo se vozaju u krug, nikad nigde ne stignu? Jebiga, mogu.

Pazi i ja postavljam glupo pitanje.Mislim, tolike godine od 2006 te znam na ovom forumu i znam koliki si zaludjenik za auto-moto sport i postavim ovo pitanje. Necu vise da ti kvarim dojam, uzivaj covece, nadam se da ce ti to pomoci da na kratko zaboravis horor u f1 u reziji Honde!

#35 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 20:48

Ide KSZ sa Alonsom.

#36 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 21:45

alonso_turn.jpg

Alonso passes 'perfect' rookie orientation
Wednesday, 03 May 2017
By RACER Staff / Images by Michael Levitt/LAT

Fernando Alonso quickly passed all three phases of the Indy 500 rookie orientation program, running as fast as 219.654mph in a morning session that team owner Michael Andretti described as "perfect."

Marco Andretti shook the car down early in the morning before handing it over to Alonso, who proceeded to pass all three phases in succession.

"It was fun. It's a good way to start, to build the speed," Alonso said during a brief break. "Probably a little bit difficult at the beginning to reach the minimum, but then on the next stages it felt good. Now hopefully we can put some laps and start feeling a little bit of the car."

Alonso said he felt at ease in the car as the laps progressed and the speed rose.

"[It's comfortable], not because of speed, just because of the laps," he said. "With 40 laps in the pocket you're able to fine-tune a little bit the lines, and the upshift and downshift, which gear to use in which corner, etc. At the moment everything looks good. Now we start the real thing.

"I think the feeling on the simulator is quite realistic. You have the first touch, the first impression of how it's going to be. But the real car is just a unique feeling, so when you have to go flat-out in the corner it's not the same as the simulator. So far it's been good, the team is amazingly helpful, everyone, Marco [shaking down the car this morning]. Running alone is quite OK (he said with a smile), we'll see the later on in the next weeks.

"It was so far a good experience. Now I think we start the real deal."

Alonso has peppered the team with questions, an indication to team owner Michael Andretti of how quickly the two-time F1 world champion "gets it" and shows his world-class abilities.

"He did perfect, did everything he was supposed to do and got through all three phases [of rookie orientation]," Andretti said.

“He gets it. He’s one of the best in the world and you can see why. He watched what he was doing with his line and was changing up lap to lap to get a feel and he had a little bit of understeer that run and he adjusted his line. He’s the real deal; I think he’s going to be really strong this month.”

After passing the three-phase orientation process, Alonso and his McLaren Honda Andretti team spent the next hour getting Alonso acclimated to pit entry and tools in the car as they tested different trims.

“The wind’s gusting now, the wind picked up a little bit in the last couple runs," Alonso said after stepping out of the car for what appeared to be the final time. "But it’s good information to have some difficulties out there. But yeah, everything went fine so far.

"When you put on new tires it masks a little bit the problems, so it masks the lower level of downforce, so now we’re playing a little bit with old tires, new tires and different trims. I was able to feel all the changes. I was able to play a little bit with the front bars, weight jackers, all these new things for me, but now I really need to have a taste now."

Despite consistent speeds, Alonso said it wasn't as easy as it looked.

"[It was] not at all [easy]," he said with a laugh. "I was getting up to speed. The circuit looks so narrow when you’re at the speed; when you watch on television or in the simulator everything seems bigger and easier and when you are in the real car it’s very, very narrow, so I was trying different lines and things like that but [I was] really not as comfortable as I will be probably in a couple weeks’ time.

"At the beginning I have to be honest, the right foot, how do you say, [had a mind of its own and] was not connected with my brain, so I wanted to be flat out, but the right foot has its own life. Right now I’m more in control with my body and in control with the car so I’m able to be flat out."

#37 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 23:09

alonso4.jpg

Alonso ‘amazed’ by first run at Indy
Wednesday, 03 May 2017
By RACER Staff / Images by Kuhn, Williams & Levitt/LAT, IMS Photo

Fernando Alonso completed a clean day of testing Wednesday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, passing rookie orientation in about an hour and getting acclimated to the 2.5-mile oval over the course of several hours with the track to himself. Turn 1 at Indianapolis can be the most intimidating corner in all of racing, and for someone as seasoned as the two-time Formula 1 World Champion, experiencing it for the first time was not what he expected it would be.

"It was OK, I think thanks to the rookie [orientation]," Alonso said. "The first couple of laps you lift off and you go in corners and you start feeling the grip, the car, and you try to follow that target you need to reach in terms of speed, so that was one thing and then at one point they told me, OK, you're doing with all the limitations, so now you just need to do 15 laps above 215mph.

"I knew that Marco was flat out in Turn 1 so I said, I can do flat-out now in Turn 1 because the car is able to do it, so I arrived to Turn 1 and I was convinced 100 percent I was doing flat out, but the foot, it had its own life, it was not connected, my brain and foot at the moment. So the second or third lap I was able to do it ... to be able to feel the respect of the place, the respect of the car, the respect of the speed is something for any racing driver is just pure adrenaline. It was a good day."

Team owner Michael Andretti went a step further, calling the rookie orientation program session "perfect."

"He did perfect, did everything he was supposed to do and got through all three phases [of rookie orientation]," Andretti said.

“He gets it. He’s one of the best in the world and you can see why. He watched what he was doing with his line and was changing up lap to lap to get a feel and he had a little bit of understeer that run and he adjusted his line. He’s the real deal; I think he’s going to be really strong this month.”

Alonso5.jpg

Alonso managed to run over 100 laps, with a fastest lap of 222.548mph. The 35-year-old Alonso, who ranks sixth on F1's all-time win list with 32, credited the smoothness of the session to the "fantastic" combined efforts of the McLaren Andretti Honda team, from the IndyCar side with Michael Andretti, the McLaren side with McLaren executive director Zak Brown and the team of engineers and Andretti Autosport drivers who have exchanged information over the past few weeks.

"The team has been very supportive," Alonso explained, "not only today but the last few weeks we exchanged information every day. I’m amazed at things like that that I was able to go into the test knowing more or less most the important things of the car and procedures.”

“Marco this morning, shaking down the car, making some setup changes already thinking of how I could feel the car on the first time I jumped in, so everyone was really looking after me, and together with the people from Honda we make some setup work on the engine side, with Gil de Ferran, the last two or three weeks we’ve been through many of the things that I was probably facing on this first day. Now we have a lot more things to go through after this test that will be much more.”

The day started out a bit cool but the winds – and the rain that eventually cut the session a bit short – gave him his first taste of how an IndyCar reacts around the speedway.

alonso6.jpg

"The track definitely changed during the day," he said. "In the morning I think the conditions were a little better, less windy, less gusty. The wind became strange in the afternoon. But if the conditions were good or bad, I have no idea. It's what the team was asking me, how do you feel, and I feel good. I have no experience here when the circuit is good or bad or is fast or slow.

"It got worse throught the day in terms of wind on the straights, it was moving at times, in the last couple of rounds the wind was coming and picked up a little bit. It's very sensitive, this place, to wind and climatic conditions, so everyone was telling me this before coming here, we confirmed today we need to be always ready to set up the car for whatever conditions we have there."

The afternoon session was not entirely without incident, as two birds fell victim to the No.29 McLaren Andretti Honda.

“I didn’t see that one coming,” Alonso said. “I saw one bird approaching Turn 3 in the penultimate run, and I just lift off and avoid the bird, probably I will not do that during race day, but today I saved one life there. But I didn’t manage to save the other two that apparently they came out of 1, but those one I didn’t notice.”

#38 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:57

alonso_michael_lat.jpg

Andretti team impressed with Alonso
Wednesday, 03 May 2017
By Marshall Pruett / Images by Levitt & Williams/LAT

It should come as no surprise to learn the Andretti Autosport team came away from Wednesday's test at Indianapolis Motor Speedway with a healthy appreciation for Fernando Alonso's talent.

The one-day introductory outing, arranged by Andretti, its partners at the McLaren-Honda Formula 1 team and the Verizon IndyCar Series, gave the Formula 1 ace his first taste of oval driving at the 2.5-mile circuit where he'll make his Indy 500 debut on May 28.

New to the art of turning left, but far from inexperienced with how to prepare for a new challenge, Alonso made quite an impression on how he approached the daunting speedway during six hours of live streaming action.

edwards.jpg

"I would say [I'm] relieved the first live test we've ever been a part of went OK," Andretti COO Rob Edwards (pictured) told RACER. "It's the first test I've ever done where we had a production planning meeting beforehand! It was good, right? Why would we not expect him to do a good job, given his credentials?

"Given the amount of time he spent preparing, he's just super thorough about every aspect of it and has taken a lot of time and effort to educate himself about what to expect. I think it went every bit as well as we hoped it would, and fortunately the weather held off for us and we were able to tick all of the boxes on the test list."

Across 110 laps, Alonso completed IndyCar's Rookie Orientation Program, tried a number of aerodynamic setup changes and one mechanical change, got a feel for Firestone's tires, tried running in fuel conservation mode and simulated everything from race-like pit stops to caution periods. Altogether, the 35-year-old absorbed more in one day of intense learning at IMS than most rookie earn in a week of open practice.

"As everyone was able to see, we did yellow running, he was able to practice exiting off of Turn 4 which is something as a rookie he wouldn't have a chance to do until Carb Day," Edwards added. "His exploring nature [was seen]; a couple of times he just came in off of Turn 3 rather than Turn 4 because he was out to experience as many different aspects of the track as he could today. [I'm] impressed with everything he did, but not surprisingly impressed because that's very much his nature."

Alonso's race engineer clearly enjoyed the first day of working with his new driver.

Alonso_Stream_Bretzman1.jpg

"He'd been in the simulator for some laps, [and] of course you're never sure how that's going to pan out," said Eric Bretzman (pictured above), who won the 2008 Indy 500 and three IndyCar championships with Scott Dixon at Chip Ganassi Racing. "It was closer than what he expected so he was reasonably comfortably pretty quick. I think a lot of it was how he imagined; maybe not all of it.

"I think he's got a very good understanding and very good appreciation for the details and nuances of the track and the different corners and different lines. He's asking a lot of the right questions, seems to be worried about a lot of the right things. Pretty impressed."

More than a decade of working alongside Dixon has given Bretzman a solid understanding of what supreme talent looks and acts like when faced with new obstacles, and he found Alonso to be up for the task of becoming a serious contender at the Indy 500. Some Indy rookies step out of the car at the end of their first day feeling overwhelmed, but that wasn't what Bretzman saw with the Spaniard.

Alonso_turn2.jpg

"He would have stayed until the sun went down if it didn't rain," he said. "It is not happening faster than him at the moment, so that's good. He's got more experiences he needs to encounter, and has all of the running in traffic to encounter, so we had a talk about that tonight. That will be his next big challenge to take that in and figure out what to do with it and our next big challenge is to keep making the window wider on the car to put the car where he wants it."

Alonso's ability to run just above 220mph range on his first day was an indicator of his natural ability and the quality of the car he was given by Andretti Autosport. His best lap of 222.548mph came as a result of the comfy downforce Bretzman kept on the No. 29 Honda to ensure his driver built confidence throughout the test, but that will need to change when he returns after the Spanish Grand Prix.

Trimming downforce and drag in pursuit of the 230mph-plus laps to earn pole position will transform his car from a gentle friend at 222.5mph to living on the razor's edge to fight for a top starting position. Getting Alonso to the point where he knows what to ask for from Bretzman is part of the process; Bretzman and the Andretti team will also need to educate Alonso on what to want and what to avoid.

"We've been telling him some of the usual pitfalls you have to watch out for," he said. "Obviously you can't keep reducing push because you're going to find out the hard way [and understeer into the wall]. He's got a pretty good hard disk on his shoulders and he's processing a lot as well. We have to teach him how to practice, and help him to understand the questions he needs to ask."

Although downforce modifications comprised the majority of the setup changes that were thrown at Alonso, one suspension tweak was completed for the sake of adding to his mental database.

"He's an amazing combination of laid-back and super detailed," Bretzman said of Alonso's Dixon-like demeanor and attitude. "We made one left-rear spring change so he could feel and asymmetrical change because he never had that before.

"You wouldn't do that in F1, but on an oval, it's normal, but he's never felt what it was like to change a spring on the left-rear to alter the feeling of the right-front. We tried that in the simulator, and he perked up and 'hmmm, said that's interesting...' so we wanted him to experience it in real life."

With the day done and more than 250 miles logged by Alonso, Edwards hoped his driver’s motivations for tackling his first Indy 500 – in the middle of a dismal F1 campaign – will be seen with total clarity by his detractors.

"He's only here to do one thing, and that's to win the race," he said. "Everything he's doing is to prepare himself is to achieve that goal, no question. He's not here because he wants to compete in the Indianapolis 500; he's here because he wants to win the Indianapolis 500."

Behind the scenes, Edwards and the Andretti team have also found Alonso to be the opposite of any F1 stereotypes.

"He is not aloof, he's not pretentious, [or] any of those things a preconceived notion might be," he continued. "He's fun to be around, he's appreciative, everyone on the team's has warmed to him in a very short space of time. For everything he's done and achieved, he's just very down to earth, very normal, just great to work with."

If there was one slight error made by Alonso on Wednesday, it was failing to avoid a pair of birds sitting on the backstretch. Approaching at nearly 230mph, the unsuspecting creatures were pulverized by the No. 29 Honda as an explosion of feathers trailed behind the car.

Alonso_Stream_Birds1.jpg

Asked if it was part of the test plan, the good-natured Bretzman insisted the maneuver wasn't on his to-do list.

"He was just showing off getting two birds ... all those years, we never got more than one...he got two simultaneously," he said with a smile. "We got a lot of birds [in the past], just never two at once."

#39 MrIncredible

MrIncredible
  • Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:09

"Double Bird Kill"  :rotflmao:

#40 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 14:23

alonso_stare_lat.jpg

MILLER: Welcome to Indianapolis, rookie
Thursday, 04 May 2017
By Robin Miller / Images by Kuhn, Williams & Levitt/LAT

When Marco Andretti came down the front straightaway Wednesday morning at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to begin "shaking down" Fernando Alonso's No.29 Dallara/Honda, his first hot lap going into Turn 1 was wide open.

Just like Alonso's eyes.

The two-time F1 champ had pulled off his headset to listen to the throttle and it never changed pitch. He looked at Michael Andretti, shook his head and tried to process what he'd just seen.

But about 90 minutes and some 50 laps later, Alonso entered Turn 1 at 227mph with his right foot buried in the throttle.

Welcome to Indianapolis, rookie.

alonso_bricks.JPG

"At the beginning, I have to be honest: The right foot has his own brain, his own power; it was not connected to my brain, so I wanted to be flat out but the right foot has its own life," he said with a grin while moving his right hand up and down like the throttle.

"Right now, I'm in more control with my body and control with the car so I'm able to be flat out. I knew Marco was flat out but it took me a little while do it."

Asked if he felt comfortable after completing his three-phase test, Alonso replied:

"Not at all! I was getting up to speed, but the circuit looks so narrow when you are at that speed. When you watch on television or you are on the simulator, everything seems bigger and easier but when you are in the real car, it is very, very narrow.

"So I was trying different lines but really not as comfortable as I will be probably in a couple of weeks' time."

His refreshing honesty is just one of the many impressive things about the 35-year-old Spaniard, but it pales in comparison to what he accomplished in roughly six hours. He had never turned a wheel on an oval and was running 222mph in a couple hours.

Yeah, yeah, I know the cars are stuck with loads of downforce, the Firestone tires are great and it was a perfect day for going quick.

But this wasn't Kurt Busch, whose 2014 Indy 500 debut (he finished sixth) dazzled everyone. Busch grew up on ovals, big cornering speeds were old hat and he kinda knew what to expect even though he'd never driven an IndyCar on an oval.

This was a world-class road racer whose only oval laps had come on a simulator. Yet Alonso approached the task with sensibility, saavy and a little humility sprinkled in.

"I am not up to speed," he declared. "I am not able at the moment to feel the car or the small changes that we can make to the car, because I'm not driving the car; the car is driving me.

alonso_turn_robin_lat.jpg

"So the first couple of laps, you lift off and then you go in the corner, so you start feeling the grip, the car, and you try to follow that target that you need to reach at the end of the lap in terms of the speed.

"It was a good start but I have a long way to go by race day."

Mario Andretti, who provided commentary for the worldwide streaming show, went down to the pits to congratulate Alonso after he breezed through his rookie test, and it seemed like the 1969 Indy winner was happier than the McLaren driver.

"This is a great day, so good for racing and this guy really gets it," said the 1978 F1 king after reaching into the cockpit to shake Alonso's hand and give him a thumbs up. "I'm really impressed with his approach and he looks very good out there.

"I think he's going to do just fine."

There's much to like about Alonso: his personality, openness, ability and global following (more than 1.1 million people watched the live streaming of his test on a WEDNESDAY!).

But it's his spirit that resonates with the good old days of A.J., Parnelli, Gurney, Mario, Lone Star J.R. and the Unsers.

"I guess I'm pretty ambitious but Indianapolis is the greatest race in the world and to be considered a world-class driver I think you have to be willing to take on the biggest challenges," said Alonso, whose been stuck at 32 F1 wins since 2014 because of his uncompetitive equipment.

"The last couple years have been pretty frustrating, obviously, and we're not very competitive but The Triple Crown (Le Mans, Indy and Monaco) is still possible and I know I have a lot to learn here (Indy) but I do have a chance."

And that's all a real racer ever wants.

#41 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 15:26

#42 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 17:00

Objavljene fotke ovogodisnjeg pejskara za Indi:

The Corvette Grand Sport is the official Pace Car for the 2017 Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil and will lead drivers to the green flag Sunday, May 28 for the 101st Running of the legendary race.

It marks the 14th time a Corvette has served as the official Pace Car, starting in 1978, and the 28th time a Chevrolet has led the field, dating back to 1948, when a 1948 Fleetmaster Six convertible paced the race. No other vehicle has served as the Pace Car more than the Corvette.

"Chevrolet is proud to once again pace the Indianapolis 500," said Steve Majoros, marketing director for Cars and Crossovers. "The Corvette Grand Sport's performance capability and motorsports heritage make it the perfect choice to pace 'The Greatest Spectacle in Racing.'"

The 2017 Corvette Grand Sport Pace Car features:

• 460hp LT1 direct-injected V8 engine with dry-sump oiling and active exhaust
  • Eight-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission
  • Equipped with the available carbon-fiber ground effects package
  • Specific Grand Sport wheel design: 19 x 10-inch (front) and 20 x 12-inch (rear)
  • Standard magnetic ride control, specific stabilizer bars and unique springs
  • Standard electronic limited-slip differential
  • Includes the available Z07 package, with carbon ceramic-matrix brake rotors and 285/30ZR19 (front) and 335/25ZR20 (rear) high-performance tires
  • Brembo Carbon Ceramic brake system with 15.5-inch (394 mm) rotors with six-piston calipers in front and 15.3-inch (380 mm) rotors with four-piston calipers in rear
  • Unique Indy 500 graphics package
18301698_10156058186432699_6782110476420

The Grand Sport Pace Car equipped with the Z07 package can accelerate from 0-60 mph in 3.6 seconds, cover the quarter mile in 11.8 seconds and achieve 1.2 g cornering capability.

Chevrolet has a storied history with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Chevrolet was founded in 1911, the year of the inaugural 500-Mile Race, and company cofounder Louis Chevrolet, along with brothers Arthur and Gaston, competed in early Indy 500 races. Arthur Chevrolet competed in the 1911 race, and Gaston Chevrolet won it in 1920.

"Chevrolet and Indianapolis are inextricably linked, sharing one of the longest racing heritages in all of motorsports," said Doug Boles, president of Indianapolis Motor Speedway. "We are proud of the longstanding relationship between Chevrolet and the Speedway, and we love having the Corvette Grand Sport lead the '500' field to the green flag."

Chevrolet is pursuing its sixth consecutive IndyCar manufacturer championship this year, building on a successful 2016 season that saw 14 wins out of 16 races.

#43 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 17:02

Sejdz Karam koji ce voziti bolid #24 za Drejer-Rejnbolt dobio sponzora:

mecum1.jpg

#44 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:10

#45 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 19:46

Indycar boss Mark Miles thinks Fernando Alonso's Indy 500 foray is good not only for the American series, but also formula one.

This week, F1 chief Chase Carey said of the McLaren-Honda driver's decision to skip Monaco: "It is indirectly beneficial to us as a great F1 driver who reaches the American audience in a different way.

"But it is not an ideal situation. If I could choose, I would prefer to see him in Monaco," the American added.

Mark Miles, the Indy 500 and Indycar chief, said he can understand Carey's position.

"I would have thought the same thing if a month ago our champion, (Simon) Pagenaud, asked me if he could do a (F1) race," he told the Spanish sports newspaper Marca.

"But now I see it differently -- that it helps to expand both sports. For us it means a lot, not commercially because the contribution will be marginal, but it does put us in the sights of many people who don't know about our series."

Indeed, Alonso's first test day in his orange Indycar earlier this week was watched by an online international audience of 2 million people.

"We didn't expect that the broadcast would have that impact -- some even thought that no one would watch it, but it was impressive and we haven't even started yet," said Miles.