Photo
- - - - -

BMW F1.08

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 alpiner

alpiner
  • Members
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 13:39

The BMW Sauber F1 Team has unveiled their 2008 contender today at BMW Welt in Munich. The F1.08 is discribed as a completely different car than the F1.07 and when you take a first look at the car, the new front wing and winglets immediately catch your eye.

Posted Image

The BMW Sauber F1.08 has been built on high-class foundations, its predecessor – the F1.07 – having comfortably lived up to everything expected of it. The designers, therefore, enjoyed a sound basis on which to build, and were under no pressure to take any major risks. “That’s why we decided to go for evolution rather than revolution,” says Technical Director Willy Rampf. Added to which, the engineers benefited from the achievement of the BMW Sauber F1 Team in establishing itself as the third-strongest team on the grid early on in 2007. “That gave us the chance to divert more resources to the development of the new car,” explains Rampf. “We put our faith in some logically consistent approaches, which led to interesting solutions.” The result is a car which Rampf describes as a “radical evolution”.

“Our aim was to build a car with impressive aerodynamic efficiency, but which also boasted a very stable aero balance. Which means that it hardly loses any downforce when the wheels are turned in, and thus gives the driver a lot of confidence,” says Rampf, offering a glimpse into his team’s thinking. Two other items on the priority list were an improvement in mechanical grip – in order to fully exploit the potential of the tyres – and a reduction in the weight of numerous components. This approach was designed to allow a high level of flexibility in terms of weight distribution through the maximum use of ballast. There was, however, no room for compromise as far as rigidity was concerned. The F1 regulations inevitably play a central role in the construction of a new car. The two key changes to the rulebook for 2008 were the introduction of a standard electronics unit (SECU) and the new running time stipulation for the gearbox, which is now required to survive four consecutive grands prix.

The development of the chassis was particularly hard hit by the incorporation of the SECU, with the traction control and engine braking control systems among the casualties of the new standard unit. This had the effect of making the car considerably more nervous under acceleration and braking. In order to counteract the loss of traction control as far as possible, the engineers focused particular attention on improving mechanical grip.

The concept phase got underway in May. “The scheduling looked after itself really, as we wanted to evaluate the data from the first few races of the season before getting down to work on the design of the new car,” says Rampf. Among the areas of the car decided on at this point were the position of the engine, the length of the gearbox, the wheelbase, weight distribution, tank size and suspension concept. Here, the experience collected by the technicians with the standard Bridgestone tyre played an important role.

Striking front wing
Look the F1.08 in the eye and its front wing cuts an imposing figure. A totally new development, it now consists of three elements. The BMW Sauber F1 Team’s aerodynamics experts invested a considerable amount of time in its design; after all, the front wing affects the aerodynamics of the whole car. Only if this component possesses extremely high downforce potential will the car be able to show perfect balance.

The nose section of the car, which is significantly slimmer than that of its predecessor, has to work harmoniously with the front wing, as Rampf confirms: “You can’t treat the individual components in isolation. At the end of the day, it is critical that they work together to optimum effect.”

When it came to developing the concept for the side turning vanes, the aerodynamics experts returned to their experience with the F1.07. On the new car these are once again made up of two elements – the forward turning vane and the main turning vane. Although appearing identical to the turning vanes on the 2007 car, when you take a closer look they are actually totally different. The endeavours of the aerodynamics team have ensured improved airflow around the sidepods and enabled the underbody to work with great efficiency.

The sidepods have undergone minor modifications in both form and size in order to further enhance cooling. With the engineers having enjoyed a successful result with the cooling concept of the F1.07, the same principle was retained, and complemented by further optimisation measures, in the development of the F1.08. This paved the way for heavier tapering at the rear of the sidepods, enabling extremely efficient airflow to the rear wing and diffuser. The radiator remains in a similar position as on the F1.07.

Ultra-slim rear
The engine cover has been downsized substantially in terms of bulk, improving the efficiency of the rear end. The cooling air outlets and “chimneys” have been optimised to almost eliminate any tail-off in performance during a GP run in extreme heat. Positioning the exhaust system at particularly close quarters to the engine was a factor in achieving the extremely slim-cut construction of the rear. The new layout was developed in cooperation with engine develop-ment colleagues in Munich, who refined the construction during a series of trials on the test rig.

The extra wing elements on the engine cover – which link up harmoniously with the winglets in front of the rear wheels – are another all-new feature of the 2008 car. These not only generate downforce but also enhance airflow to the rear wing, which is itself a further development of last year’s version.
The car’s aerodynamics are rounded off by the wheel rim covers, fixed stationary on the front axle but designed to turn with the wheels at the rear. Their task is the same at both the front and rear: to optimise brake cooling and improve the flow of air around the tyres. A critical factor in all of these developments was the interplay between the testing programme in the wind tunnel and CFD (computational fluid dynamics). It was late 2006 when the team’s experts put the supercomputer Albert2 into operation. Based on Intel technology, its huge performance potential has allowed the engineers to carry out not only more, but also extremely complex calculations.

The development process for the suspension was still young when the engineers began to address the implications of traction control’s fall from grace. Added to which, they also set about channelling the knowledge gained with the standard Bridgestone tyre in 2007 into the new car. Their aim was to make optimum use of the tyres both on a hot lap in qualifying and over the full race distance. And that meant ensuring a combination of good traction and high braking stability. Achieving this goal would help to preserve the tyres and make life easier for the drivers by providing stable handling. The front suspension is a consistent further development of the system familiar from the F1.07. Modified kinematics and another step forward in the power steering system ensure increased feedback for the driver. The rear-axle kinematics were designed to give the car predictable handling and imbue the driver with plenty of confidence.

Changes to the appearance of the cockpit area can be traced back to new safety stipulations set out in the F1 regulations. The cockpit’s head protection sidewalls had to be raised further to enhance safety for the drivers should their car be hit by another car which is off the ground.

“In the development of the BMW Sauber F1.08 we concentrated our efforts on the two areas which offered most potential in terms of performance: aerodynamics and the chassis, with its knock-on effect on tyres,” says Rampf, and adds: “Our success with the F1.07 gave the whole team a lot of confidence, and that has now been reflected in a number of innovative solutions. The data we are getting from the BMW Sauber F1.08 is very encouraging.”

Pre-season development work still had a long way to run after the presentation of the F1.08 on 14th January 2008 – as Rampf explains: “We will come up with a new aerodynamics package before the first race of the season in Melbourne.” A notable side-effect of this will be a moderately striking change in the outward appearance of the F1.08.

BMW Sauber F1.08 – technical data.

Chassis
Chassis: carbon-fibre monocoque
Suspension: upper and lower wishbones (front and rear), inboard springs and dampers, actuated by pushrods (Sachs Race Engineering)
Brakes: six-piston brake callipers (Brembo), carbon pads and discs (Brembo, Carbone Industrie)
Transmission: 7-speed quick shift gearbox, longitudinally mounted, carbon-fibre clutch (AP)
Chassis electronics: MES
Steering wheel: BMW Sauber F1 Team
Tyres: Bridgestone Potenza
Wheels: OZ
Dimensions: length 4,600 mm
width 1,800 mm
height 1,000 mm
track width, front 1,470 mm
track width, rear 1,410 mm
wheelbase 3,130 mm
Weight: 605 kg (incl. driver, tank empty)

BMW P86/8 – technical data
Type: normally aspirated V8
Bank angle: 90 degrees
Displacement: 2,400 cc
Valves: four per cylinder
Valve train: pneumatic
Engine block: aluminium
Cylinder head: aluminium
Crankshaft: steel
Oil system: dry sump lubrication
Engine management: standard ECU (MES)
Spark plugs: NGK
Pistons: aluminium
Connecting rods: titanium
Dimensions: length 518 mm
width 555 mm
height 595 mm (overall)
Weight: 95 kg
Maximum engine speed: 19,000 rpm

#2 alberto.ascari

alberto.ascari
  • Members
  • 28,756 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 13:42

Kakvo čudo od prednjeg krila.

Ima još bolja slika iz blizine na F1.com, ali ne može da se kopira.

Sve se može kad se hoće...

Posted Image

Edited by alberto.ascari, 14 January 2008 - 13:45.

#3 Jr

Jr
  • Banned
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 14:49

Cmok

Sad znam za koga cu da navijam da pije treci sampanjac...

#4 alpiner

alpiner
  • Members
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 15:37

Fenomenalno izgleda.

Mislim da će BMW ove godine početi da pobeđuje. Razvoj Alberta 2 i CFD tehnologije je jako pametno ulaganje. Novac troše na prave stvari i mislim da uskoro stižu i vrhunski rezultati.

#5 alberto.ascari

alberto.ascari
  • Members
  • 28,756 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 15:54

Albert 2 can make 12,288,000,000,000 calculations per second. This is the equivalent of more than one million people multiplying two numbers every three seconds for an entire year.

Neverovatno...

#6 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 16:36

Kakvo čudo od prednjeg krila.

Ima još bolja slika iz blizine na F1.com, ali ne može da se kopira.

Sve se može kad se hoće...

Hm, pa cini mi se da barem BMW, po ovome sto smo dosad videli, nece kopirati onaj meklarenovski most preko nosa ove sezone...

#7 Downforce

Downforce
  • Members
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 15:47

Definitivno ljudi koji su najvise radili na aerodinamici u odnosu na prethodni bolid. Jako lepo oblikovan nos bolida, prednje krilo znacajno drugacije u odnosu na proslogodisnje kao i nacin na koji je ono povezano sa nosem.

Bocni usisnici koji su neverovatno stanjeni. Bar 1.5 puta su uzi od Ferrarijevih ili McLarenovih. Ne mogu da verujem da ce uspeti da ohlade motor sa hladnjacima koji su tako tesno spakovani.

Ukoliko budu radili kako treba(a nisam optimista po tom pitanju-bice tu mnogo vise "skrga" potrebno) bice to znacajna prednost BMW-a.
Ono sto su dobili na bocnim usisnicima definitivno su smanjili sa ovim rogovima i poprecno postavljenim krilcima na poklopcu motora. To ce dosta "prljati" struju vazduha ka zadnjem krilu...

Deo na poklopcu motora koji me je zaintrigirao je ova "rupa" ispred veze rogova sa airboxom. Cemu ovo sluzi?

Posted Image

Takodje, prednje krilo mi deluje isuvise agresivno i pomalo prebudzeno(zaokruzeno). Ugao pod kojim vazdusna struja napusta izlaznu ivicu krila i potom udara u donji deo nosa mi je nekako preveliki...to su mogli i malo neznije da odrade...

Posted Image

U svakom slucaju aplauz za koliko-toliko inovativniji pristup aerodinamici od strane BMW-ovih inzenjera. Videcemo kako ce funkcionisati...

Edited by Downforce, 15 January 2008 - 15:48.

#8 alpiner

alpiner
  • Members
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 23:57

VIDEO's: Theissen, Rampf explain the F1.08 and first test run

#9 Downforce

Downforce
  • Members
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 15:27

Ona "rupa" sluzi za provlacenje sajle kako bi dizalica mogla da digne bolid... :huh: :rolleyes:

LM...evo kako izgleda BMW-ova interpretacija "frizbija" na prednjim tockovima...jako zanimljivo resenje...

Posted Image

Takodje, evo i linka ka slikama visoke(ogromne takoreci) rezolucije sa testiranja u Valensiji...za one koji vole BMW prvenstveno( :)), ali i za sve ostale obozavaoce F1 tehnologije...
Testiranje u Valensiji - BMW F1.08

#10 Jr

Jr
  • Banned
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:22

LM...evo kako izgleda BMW-ova interpretacija "frizbija" na prednjim tockovima...jako zanimljivo resenje...

Posted Image

Prije ili posle sudara?

A ako ipak nije bilo sudara - nego je ovako namjesrno napravljeno - imas li ikakvu ideju zasto?

Oblik je skroz nepravilan...

#11 Downforce

Downforce
  • Members
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:02

Deluje mi kao da taj pravougaoni deo frizbija strci sa namerom da poveca potpritisak u oblasti izlaza iz felne. Ukoliko bi ta pravougaona ivica bila oblikovana kao avionsko krilo, na spoljnoj ivici bi se stvarao natpritisak a sa unutrasnje ivice potrpritisak. Time se poboljsava strujanje kroz felnu i hladjenje kocnica(sto je veca razlika pritisaka na ulazu i izlazu, veca je i brzina vazduha koji prolazi kroz felnu). Za stvaranje ovog efekta bi se koristio vazduh visokog pritiska koji se "gomila" u oblasti ispred prednjeg tocka i opstrujava ga sa bocnih strana, vazduh koji frontalno nailazi na tu ivicu, kao i manji deo vazduha koji je "prilepljen" uz rotirajuci tocak i koji se vrti zajedno sa njim. Zadnji deo je malo povijen ka tocku/pneumatiku kako bi se struja vazduha usmerila u oblast niskog pritiska koja se nalazi odmah iza tocka, pri cemu joj je dodatna funkcija da odrzi struju vazduha pripijenu uz tocak i time smanji otpor vazduha...

To bi bilo onako na prvi pogled...kako bi mali djokica Downforce to konstruisao... :rolleyes:

#12 Jr

Jr
  • Banned
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 20:39

Sorry sefe
Sjajno objesnjenje, i mnogo ti hvala na njemu...

Nego, ja kreten... Iz ko zna kog razloga mislio da se taj dio OKRECE :rolleyes: ... i onda se ubio razmisaljuci zasto... Nikad vise tehnicke analize posle vranca :huh:

#13 alpiner

alpiner
  • Members
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 19:13

Još jedno originalno rešenje na današnjim testiranjima.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 19:17

Posted Image
Posted Image

Ovo odmah prosledi pravo onamo u egzotiku :rolleyes:

#15 Downforce

Downforce
  • Members
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 19:21

Jeste originalno...ali je apsolutni visak na bolidu...