• Please log in to reply
5219 replies to this topic

#4906 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:09

Daj ne lupetaj.

8% je porast publike na stazama, zato sto ljudi sada imaju nesto i da vide jer je Liberti malo otvorio padok i ulozio neke pare u prateci program oko F1 vikenda. Pantelijina ambicija je bila staze bez tribina za publiku, samo VIP loze za nekih par stotina ultrabogatasa koji ce tokom trkackog vikenda da prave poslovne dilove.

Niko se ne zalaze za udese, oreol je tu zato sto su se timovi obavezali da ce da smisle nekakvo resenje za problem povreda glave (treba li ponovo pisati imena, degutantno je) a otezali su i pravili se blesavi pa smo sada dobili ovo sto se nikome ne svidja. I sa oreolom F1 ostaje ludacki opasna, jer uvek kad se ljudsko telo krece brzinama od 300+ km/h i naglo se zaustavi desavaju se jako lose stvari.

#4907 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:05

Mann's stand against FIA commission appointment draws wide support
Saturday, 09 December 2017
By Mark Glendenning / Images by Michael Levitt/LAT

LAT-levitt-ipoc-02341.jpg

Pippa Mann says that she has been buoyed by the response she has received since speaking out against the FIA's appointment of Renault F1 development driver Carmen Jorda to its Women in Motorsport Commission. Jorda, whose place on the Commission was announced on Friday, has been a frequent advocate for the creation of a separate Formula 1 world championship for females on the grounds that she does not believe that they can compete on equal terms with men. When news of the Spaniard's new role broke, Mann responded with a tweet expressing her disappointment:

@PippaMann

Dear @fia,
If the news I am hearing is correct, and you have appointed a racer with no notable results, who does not believe we compete as equals in this sport, to represent women in racing, I am incredibly disappointed.
Sincerely -an #Indy500 qualifier, #IndyLights race winner.

Among those who responded was Leena Gade, who has three 24 Hours of Le Mans wins as a race engineer to her credit, and who currently serves on the Commission.

@Leena Gade

I'm in the commission, an ambassador 4 engineering. I'm addressing this with them b4 commenting further BUT I chose to compete in a man's world, like so many other women in countless Motorsport roles. WE want to be the best against males & females. Can't do that?Play another game

"Honestly, [the response] has been really surprising," Mann told RACER. "This was obviously something that mattered too me quite deeply personally, as I fought fairly hard to take a stand on this. We saw a lot of other female racers stand up earlier this fall when Carmen made her comment that she does not believe women can be equal.

"Obviously that's not what most of us feel in the sport, however to see someone with that opinion elected to this position to represent women in motorsport on the FIA Womens' Commission was disappointing.

"It's a very, very difficult situation. I think the best thing that has happened since this appointment has been how strongly many of us – and not just female racers, but women who work in the sport and many male and female fans – have also stood up and said, 'This is not a good appointment for this position, for this reason.'

"To me, the most worrying thing is whether this is a reflection of the beliefs of the FIA towards female athletes in motorsport in general. It's not personal with Carmen. It's that someone who holds those beliefs should not be put in a position of power where the mission statement is the opposite of those beliefs."

levitt_WG_0617-22461.jpg

According to Mann, the timing of Jorda's appointment is made all the more incongruous by the success that female drivers have enjoyed across the sport this year.

"When we look outside of the Formula 1 blinkers, this year Christina Nielsen claimed her second IMSA GTD drivers' championship," Mann said. "Katherine Legge (at right, above) and her co-driver [Andy Lally] were multiple race winners. This year I actually became the first female in Indianapolis Motor Speedway history to turn a 230mph lap. Tatiana Calderon fought for points in GP3 and became the first female racer on the podium in a World Series V8 race.

"So against this backdrop of female talent that's actually out there achieving, that's why it's so disappointing to see the FIA take this step, because there are female racers out there right now who are competing."

#4908 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 13:11

OPINION: Limits and perceptions
Sunday, 10 December 2017
By Mark Glendenning / Images courtesy of NHRA and Lotus F1 Team

rpm_nhra_fans_d1_800x450.jpg

I have a two-year-old daughter. She loves Peppa Pig, dinosaurs, scary robots, and pasta. And as I suspect is the case with all two-year-olds, she has no real concept of limitations. If she can think of something, she assumes that there's some way that she can do it. Now, as a parent, that can be terrifying – toddlers are basically tiny Evel Knievels – but at the same time I deeply hope she retains that optimism and ambition, tempered with some vague sense for self-preservation, as she gets older.

In short, I hope she does not grow up thinking like Carmen Jorda.

If you hadn't heard of Jorda until recently, it's probably because she's not a very good racing driver. There's no shame in that. Most people are not very good racing drivers. What sets Jorda apart is her apparent conviction that the reason for her lack of success is that she's female. And that's a problem, because she has just been appointed to the FIA's Women in Motorsport Commission.

Basically, the point of the Commission is to advocate for women in racing. Its website speaks of the need to "show that the door is open to women in all aspects of motorsport" and to "support and accompany current female drivers; to encourage the participation of new young drivers and officials; to promote the involvement of women at all levels of motorsport and to highlight where women are successful thus strengthening their participation."

One thing that sets motor racing apart from the vast majority of other sports is that women can, and do, compete against men at the professional level, and have done so for decades, is something to be celebrated. Jorda? She has spent the past couple of years calling upon the FIA to establish a separate Formula 1 championship for women because she doesn't believe they can race against men. Here's what she told ESPN last year:

"They think because we are driving a car we are on the same level as men, which is completely not true because we will never be the same as them. I have had to fight through many things to get to the top of this sport, just because I am a woman, and that is not fair."

59c47c8c0a29e1ef66626302247090e9.jpg

In another interview, Jorda claimed that women can't summon the physical strength required to match a male in a racecar. I've watched Simona de Silvestro drive a lot of laps in an IndyCar without the benefit of power steering. She seemed to be doing just fine.

Jorda's argument that she has "had to fight through many things to get to the top of this sport, just because I am a woman, and that is not fair," also looks shaky under a microscope. On the contrary, the closest most drivers with her CV get to Formula 1 machinery is posing for a photo next to a show car in the Fan Village.

Jorda has held development driver roles with Lotus (pictured above) and Renault. It's a largely symbolic job that often amounts to little more than standing around in a team shirt waiting for occasional turns in the simulator, and some – including perhaps Jorda herself – pay for the privilege. But it's still more than her raw results warrant, and at risk of sounding unnecessarily unkind, a glance at her career statistics suggest that it's not Jorda's gender that has been holding her back here.

But her lack of speed is not the issue. The problem is that her regressive view of the sport renders her entirely unsuited to serve as an advocate for the advancement of females in racing, and her appointment undermines that work done by those for whom gender really was a barrier to be overcome – Lyn St James, Michelle Mouton, Janet Guthrie – as well as those who are already competing, and succeeding, as we speak.

Just this year, Christina Nielsen won her second IMSA GTD title on the bounce alongside Alessandro Balzan, while Katherine Legge combined with Andy Lally in the same class to deliver two wins and two additional podiums. The Force sisters, along with Erica Enders, have been delivering for so long in the NHRA that gender ceased to be part of that conversation years ago.

As my daughter gets older, she's going to find that there genuinely are some limitations in life. But there are also artificial barriers that she'll hopefully find a way around. And whatever career path she chooses to follow as she gets older, I hope that she looks to people like Nielsen and Legge, or engineers like Leena Gade, as inspiration for what she can do, rather than the likes of Jorda trying to impose their perceptions of what she can't.

#4909 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 16:01

https://www.f1fanati...mances-of-2017/

#4910 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 16:22

Chase Carey has admitted Liberty Media has a task to win over long-time F1 fans.

The American and the American company have succeeded the long reign of Bernie Ecclestone, making changes this year and planning even greater changes for the future.

But F1 chief executive Carey says he has work to do to convince some existing fans.

"It's probably the people who have been fans from the beginning who liked what they grew up with," he is quoted by France's Auto Hebdo.

"They represent the foundation of the sport. These fans are essential," Carey added.

"But we want to interest a new audience, and for this we must find solutions that respect the historical element - what made this category so special - while attracting new people at the same time.

"We must interest a new generation," he said.

Some fans, drivers and insiders have criticised some of Liberty Media's changes, including the Indy 500-style driver introductions seen this year in Austin.

Carey said: "It starts above all with the show on the track. I use the word 'show' because that's what it should be.

"We can make the competition better -- improve the action. Around that, we want to make sure we capture the public's imagination."

To, daj narodu nesto i da vidi za te silne pare koje placa, a ne ko Berni da gulis kozu s ledja a tretiras ih ko zadnju stoku. Prateci programi, pristup u padok, autogram sesije sa vozacima, otvorenost i pristupacnost - to ce da zainteresuje nove generacije klinaca, nema nista atraktivnije od direktne interakcije sa svojim herojima. Jel' moze neko da zamisli u Bernijevo vreme onu scenu sa uplakanim klincem Kimijevim fanom sto su ga odveli da bude Kimijev gost kod Ferarija? Deca ne kupuju rolekse ali ce jednog dana da porastu, a svaki par ociju sto uzivo sto kraj ekrana cini F1 interesantnijom za sponzore bez kojih bi se F1 brzo svela na sveukupno 3 tima i zavrsila neslavno kao DTM. Konstantna jurnjava za kratkorocnom dobiti bez ulaganja u privlacenje novih generacija fanova je siguran put u smrt F1.

#4911 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 17:14

Female racers 'disheartened' by Jorda FIA Commission appointment
By Jamie Klein, Stefan Mackley, Marcus Simmons
Published on Wednesday December 13th 2017

e97510948ad3b1c9fd2c2d6572b95d54.jpg

Leading female racing drivers have called the appointment of former Lotus Formula 1 development driver Carmen Jorda to the FIA's Women in Motorsport Commission "incredibly disheartening" and "a backwards step".

Jorda had recently attracted controversy with comments to the effect that women should compete in their own Formula 1-style championship because, in her opinion, they are unable to compete equally with men.

The appointment of Jorda - who in three seasons of GP3 Series competition never managed to qualify in the top 20 - comes amid reports that a London-based company is preparing to launch a six-race women-only championship, to begin in 2019.

IndyCar racer Pippa Mann, 2015 British GT4 champion Jamie Chadwick and GP3 racer Tatiana Calderon all expressed concern at the implications of the Jorda decision.

Mann drew attention to Christina Nielsen winning the IMSA SportsCar GTD title, Katherine Legge also taking IMSA GTD wins, Calderon scoring a World Series Formula V8 3.5 podium, and her own landmark 230mph lap of Indianapolis - the first for a female, in her only single-seater race of 2017.

"Against this backdrop of current and rising female racing talent, it is extremely disappointing to learn that a racer with no notable results in any of the categories in which she has competed, and who believes and is quoted as saying that she does not believe we as female racers can compete, has been appointed to the FIA Women in Motorsport Commission," Mann told Autosport.

"To me personally, the appointment of someone with these core beliefs, to a committee meant to further the cause of women in racing, is incredibly disheartening, and represents a true step backwards from the FIA."

Calderon (pictured below in GP3 this season) believes the Jorda news will "unite" other female racers who want equal opportunities.

"It was a bit of a surprise for everybody, especially because most of the females that are racing in big series at the moment disagree with her point of view," Calderon told Autosport.

633e1083ffed91714e0981b2539a8656.jpg

"We definitely can compete at the highest level and there is absolutely no need for a female championship.

"What we need is what Dare to be Different [D2BD] has been doing and also the FIA Women in Motorsport with Michele Mouton, which is to promote female participation in all areas of motorsport, starting in karting, because we need more girls starting karting to be able to have more chances for one to go to the top.

"It's quite difficult, regardless of your gender, but when there are 90 boys and 10 girls the chances are very slim.

"I disagree with her view and what she wants to defend, but this [announcement] just unites the rest of the community of female drivers and engineers. We're going to fight to be the best of the best, not just of the females."

Mann also said that she is concerned Jorda's position on the commission, of which former World Rally Championship star Michele Mouton is president, could reflect the views of the FIA towards women.

"Most worrying of all, one wonders whether this appointment is in any way truly representative of the FIA's beliefs towards female athletes competing in motorsport in general," said Mann.

"I have the utmost respect for Michele Mouton, both in terms of her rally achievements and for her overall vision.

"I cannot begin to imagine the type of undue pressure and influence that must have been exerted upon Michele for her to allow this appointment to go ahead."

When contacted by Autosport, Mouton declined to comment directly on Jorda's appointment but said the FIA commission remained committed to "full participation" of women in motorsport.

"The goals and the values of the FIA Women in Motorsport Commission have not changed since its creation in 2009 and we are strongly continuing to encourage, support and promote the full participation of women in all aspects of motorsport," said the 1982 WRC runner-up.

"The richness of the commission comes from its 30 members who bring their experience and share their points of view.

"From 2018, our strong European Young Women Programme will make a link with D2BD, so will be well promoted by Susie [Wolff] who is one of our commission ambassadors.

"We are also working towards an FIA Women Drivers' Academy, so we will have a good range of projects covering girls and women from eight to 20 years old, and the FIA shows that it is fully supporting women in motorsport."

Wolff: Women can compete on equal terms

0f304cf1355d5da11c720d061c7da154.jpg

Former Williams F1 test driver and Dare to be Different pioneer Susie Wolff emphasised motorsport as an activity in which women have equal chance.

"Motorsport, alongside equestrianism and sailing, is one of the three sports in which women and men compete together," Wolff told Autosport.

"In each, a large piece of equipment or animal is involved - it doesn't just come down to sheer strength or muscle mass.

"If you want to see more successful women in motorsport it's simply about increasing the talent pool - inspire more girls and women to enter the sport and offer support so that the best to rise to the top.

"Dare to be Different works closely together with the FIA Women in Motorsport Commission; Michele and I share the same goals and are committed to helping create change in the long term - in the right way."

Chadwick, who this year switched to single-seaters in BRDC British Formula 3, said she had "nothing against" Jorda but that "it would be a shame" if she promoted single-gender competition in her FIA role.

"I think it will just lower the standard, I know on my best day I can compete equally with men," Chadwick told Autosport.

"If the right woman came along with money and talent they could make it to Formula 1."

#4912 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:25

F1 still overemphasizes car performance, says Ricciardo
Wednesday, 13 December 2017
Chris Medland / Image by Dunbar/LAT

_31I7351.jpg

Daniel Ricciardo is optimistic that Formula 1 will eventually move towards a rule package that will diminish the car's role in determining performance, and will better reflect the talent of drivers further back in the field.

"Lewis [Hamilton] has won three of the last four championships, but if he was in a midfield team, he wouldn't have three of the last four championships," Ricciardo said. "The car is a big part of it, but you need to be a good driver to get the equipment to the top. You need both. It's still a bit more dominant with the car than the driver – I'd say maybe 75 per cent to 25 per cent.

"If we make it a bit more equal by bringing the driver in a bit more and taking the equipment out, then that would be better. A 50/50 would be something more realistic in the near future, and hopefully that's the case.

"Even from Lewis to the guy that's coming last, maybe the lap time says 3.0s, but the driver is maximum 1.0s. We are all a lot closer than that, and it would be great if we could all stay within 1.0s with the equipment because then the racing would be pretty fun."

While acknowledging the role of Mercedes' dominance in Hamilton's recent title success, the Australian reserves special respect for the way his rival maintains a high performance level in F1 while simultaneously pursuing numerous interests outside of the sport.

"Lewis, even if with the best material, he still had pressure and expectation, and he's had that since he started F1 ten years ago," Ricciardo said. "I think he's always been on a very high level, and he's also got a lot of other distractions in his life, and can still perform when it counts. I respect him and take my hat off to him – as a driver, he is very competitive."

#4913 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 16:56

Analysis: What happens when F1 drivers become unified

f1-abu-dhabi-gp-2017-f1-drivers-goup-pho

By: James Allen, Formula 1 columnist
Yesterday at 8:58pm

It's very interesting to read today that all the current F1 drivers are now signed up to the drivers’ ‘union’ – the Grand Prix Drivers' Association.

This has not been the case in the past for various reasons, with drivers staying outside the group, which meets regularly to discuss issues facing them as stakeholders in the sport. It was originally formed to discuss safety matters, but increasingly other factors, such as commercial and image rights as well as the future direction of the sport, have made them take the union more seriously.

There were always drivers, who either didn't think it was worth joining, as the sport didn't listen to them anyway, or who couldn't be bothered or had other reasons for standing apart from their peers.

The GPDA was founded in 1961 and played an important role in the 1970s when Jackie Stewart and others were crusading for safety. After a hiatus through the 1980s, it was reformed during the ill-fated 1994 San Marino GP weekend, where Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna were killed. 

f1-spanish-gp-1975-graham-hill-hill-team
Spanish GP, 1975: Graham Hill, as a GPDA representative, explains from the back of the McLaren motorhome on the Friday of the meeting, the drivers' decision to strike over the poor condition of the guardrail lining the street circuit
Photo by: Sutton Images

How will GPDA raise its unified voice?

The GPDA is led by directors Sebastian Vettel and Romain Grosjean, and its chairman is former driver Alex Wurz, who has an operational role at Williams, but who also convenes the drivers' association and is an eloquent and motivated chairman.

It is a notable success that the Austrian has managed to get all 20 F1 drivers signed up, for probably the first time in its history.

wec-bahrain-2017-alex-wurz-toyota-racing
Alex Wurz
Photo by: Toyota Racing

He can use this as a strong platform for future roles in the sport – there have been suggestions he may even run for FIA president in 2021 – and it will be very interesting to see how and where the GPDA chooses to make its voice heard in 2018.

It has intervened a few times recently, such as after the death of Jules Bianchi, after the Pirelli tyre failures at Silverstone in 2013 and most notably when the 2016 F1 season began with a farce over the qualifying rules, and it called the leadership “broken”.

As the tectonic plates shift ahead of the 2021 relaunch – with F1 owners Liberty Media working alongside the FIA to frame rules to make F1 more competitive and entertaining, drivers increasingly want to protect their interests. They want to have their say on that as well as to consult on the increasing commercial and promotional demands on them from Liberty, for events like ‘F1 Live’ – of which five are planned worldwide next season.

“We consider F1 as sport, not show,” said Wurz. “A driver, rightly so, calls himself a sportsman and not showman, because it's still about the most natural human aspiration – to go faster, higher, quicker.

“Great sport is what we love to see, if great sport is embedded in a suitably created show and race experience, that would indeed be good. If the sport sucks, everything around the sport itself is only expensive, inauthentic and semi-irrelevant. We need on track competition, but not artificially created.”

f1-monaco-gp-2017-drivers-observe-the-na
Photo by: Sutton Images

It wouldn't happen under Bernie's watch

When sub-groups in F1 form themselves into strong unions, there are usually ramifications. In the late 2000s the F1 teams formed a union called the F1 Teams Association (FOTA), which even hosted a press conference and show of strength in 2009 in Geneva.

Bernie Ecclestone, who rose to power as the shop steward of the F1 Constructors’ Association, a forerunner of FOTA in the early 1980s, wrestled the commercial power away from the FIA as a result. Knowing the power of unions, he saw FOTA as a threat and made sure it was brought down.

He did that by doing bilateral agreements in 2011 with the two Red Bull teams and Ferrari, which cut the legs out from under FOTA. He was quite dismissive of the GPDA – although he gave its 2015 Global Fan Survey his blessing in Monaco (below). As it never represented all the drivers' voices, it wasn't seen by him as a major threat.

More recently, after he was eased out of power by the sale to Liberty, Ecclestone attempted to get the circuit promoters to form themselves into a union, to stand up to Liberty and even to negotiate collectively.

So far that has not materialised.

f1-monaco-gp-2015-bernie-ecclestone-alex
Bernie Ecclestone and Alex Wurz, Williams Driver Mentor and GPDA Chairman and Charles Bradley, Motorsport.com Editor in Chief and the drivers launch the GPDA Global Fans Survey
Photo by: XPB Images

#4914 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 19:19

Formula 1 cars are predicted to be more than two seconds per lap faster next season, according to the latest simulation data that Pirelli has been given by the teams.

The revamp of technical regulations this year to make cars faster, more spectacular and harder to drive has delivered on its aim of cutting laptimes by around five seconds over 2015 levels.

Every track saw an improvement in pace this year, with the peak being the Malaysian Grand Prix where Lewis Hamilton's pole position time was nine seconds faster than two years ago – although factors like weather, the time of year and track resurfacing played their part.

Although F1's aero rules have delivered in allowing the step forward in form, teams' understanding of the regulations is still relatively immature – which means there remain gains to be had.

Pirelli says indications are for another decent step forward in pace.

Pirelli's F1 racing manager Mario Isola said: "At the beginning of next year they should be quicker by one second per lap, and during a year the normal rate of development is 1 – 1.5 seconds. So by the end of next year they should be quicker by two seconds per lap.

"If we go softer with the tyres, the cars could be ever quicker. But we have to remember that there is an additional weight with the Halo, and that will cost about three to four tenths of a second, because of the weight plus aero implications."

The FIA has raised the minimum weight limit by 6kgs in 2018 for the Halo, having already added extra weight in this year's regulations to take its introduction into account before an original planned introduction was delayed.

Teams have found, however, that the Halo mountings and the work necessary to beef up their new chassis to pass the associated load tests has added even more weight, with a figure of up to 14kgs mentioned by Force India.

In F1, it is widely accepted that an extra 10kg of weight is equivalent to roughly 0.3 seconds of lap time, depending on the track layout.

#4915 /13/Ален Шмит/

/13/Ален Шмит/
  • Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 00:30

Hebeni monopol by Pirelli i ostala banda. F1 bolidi su toliko "uštrojeni" da pravi potencional nikada nećemo otkriti, pa makar pucali kao oni bolidi iz 80-ih "jedan motor po kvalama i sl.".

A hoće 25 trka kao...

#4916 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:07

Nije nikakav problem bio sa bolidima 2014-2016, svi su kukali kao ustrojeni motori, vozaci taksiraju, a sve je to bilo zbog zvakacih guma. No, sami su timovi bas takve trazili da "zacine sou", pa im sada nema puno smisla da se bune.

378 km/h. Nikad ranije F1 bolid nije isao toliko brzo, i nikad vise nece ici.

Tek ce da vidite ustrojeno od 2021.

#4917 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 17:18

Bernie Ecclestone has aimed fire at both F1 owner Liberty Media and the sport's most famous team Ferrari.

2017 was the 87-year-old's first full season without an operational role in the sport, having been ousted by Liberty Media after the American company's takeover.

Liberty is currently consulting with manufacturers about the engine rules for 2021, but Ecclestone said the only way to run the sport is as a dictator.

"Democracy has no place in formula one," he said, as veteran F1 correspondent Roger Benoit visited Ecclestone at his coffee plantation in Brazil.

"The new owners will soon realise this, because so far they have achieved nothing," Ecclestone told Sonntagsblick newspaper.

He also slammed Ferrari, after the fabled Maranello marque threatened to quit F1 over Liberty's engine and budget cap plans.

"That old game," Ecclestone said. "If they don't win, there is usually panic.

"Max Mosley and I could write a long list of all the times we helped Ferrari, but they always deny it."

pantelija_400x400.jpeg

#4918 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:35

Bernie…
December 18, 2017 by Joe Saward

Bernie Ecclestone is 87 year of age. Good for him. It’s a good score. It is pretty remarkable given his lifestyle for the last 50 years. However, in the end, he sold everything, pocketed the money on offer and was given the role of chairman emeritus of the Formula One group. He said at the the time that he did not know what that meant. In academia there is a honorific element to the description, but in business it means “Shut up, and go away”.

But Ecclestone doesn’t want to hear that. He is used to telling people how it is. He has grown accustomed to people kowtowing to him. Obviously, it is hard for him to accept change, but the shareholdings tell the story and while Bernie can still jerk a few strings with puppets (and Muppets) in the media world, his reign is over. Liberty gave him the option of a graceful exit but, being Bernie the racer that he is, an elegant way out was never going to be easy.

What Bernie says is probably true: one needs to be a dictator to make F1 function properly, but he seems not to have understood that beneath the smiles, the Liberty men in F1 are quite happy to tell Ferrari where to go, if push comes to shove. They showed him the door and they will do the same if Ferrari gets uppity. It might be cruel to make the point, but it is there nonetheless: Ecclestone’s day is done and it would be best for him to go quietly, rather than sounding like someone who craves to be back in the spotlight. The spotlight has moved on and trying to remain a star is all rather too Sunset Boulevard…

Look in your wallet Mr E the answer is there.

#4919 4_Webber

4_Webber
  • Members
  • 17,335 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:09

Ferrari warns F1 quit sceptics they are "playing with fire"

Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne has warned people who think he is "bluffing" about potentially pulling the Italian marque out of Formula 1 that they are "playing with fire".

Marchionne has made it clear that he is prepared to withdraw Ferrari from Formula 1 if the championship's future regulations are not set out in a direction he agrees with.

With Ferrari having occasionally made similar threats throughout the history of F1, that has led some people to believe that the Maranello team would never leave, but Marchionne says the recent threats remain serious.

"Some people say that our threat about the 2020/2021 regulations is a bluff, but they're playing with fire," Marchionne said at Ferrari's traditional pre-Christmas media dinner on Monday.

"The situation has changed since 2015. Starting from that moment, everyone knows that if we threaten to do something, we do it.

"One of the greatest advantages is that the current Concorde Agreement [between teams and F1] is very different from previous ones and ensures a greater contractual freedom, even during the agreement with Liberty Media.

"The previous contract made it impossible for the team to evaluate an alternative outside of the circus. Now we can analyse the possibility to create something similar to Formula 1 in terms of a show."

Marchionne believes creating an alternative series to F1 is a feasible option if the teams get together to make it happen.

There is the possibility to create an alternative championship from 2020/2021," he said. "We can't ignore this possibility, but I prefer avoid it if we can.

"I would like to continue with Formula 1, but we have to find compromises that don't leave Ferrari without the possibility of showing its DNA in every race.

"If we can't find that, then Ferrari has to go away. If Ferrari can pull out other teams, we have to see it from an economical point of view, but I think that we are able to do it."

Marchionne said he remains "bothered" by F1's new owners trying to simplify the technical side of the cars for the future.

"The main thing that bothers me is that inside Liberty Media there is a person with great experience in F1, which is Ross Brawn, who is trying to give a direction that is not in the DNA of the sport," he added.

"We have been part of F1's history, so we understand bullshit and we understand F1. We have a race department that works only on F1, so we know F1 well.

"We have to try to balance [Liberty's] interests with ours, but I think that we can arrive to that in time to avoid Ferrari's exit from Formula 1."

#4920 4_Webber

4_Webber
  • Members
  • 17,335 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:17

Mnogo je toksicna atmosfera u F1 trenutno. Izuzetno sam razocaran. Moze li iko da zamisli da se ponovo formira FOTA, kao 2008, kada su svi timovi zajedno stali u odbranu sporta? Niposto. Ovaj bucmasti preti, Red Bul preti, Mercedes isto povremeno oplete (ali nekako drugacije, ne ovako arogantno kao Markoine i Matesic/Marko/Horner), jedini normalni veliki timovi su Reno i Meklaren.