Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 20,761 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 15:54

The secret behind floor tunnels on Ferrari's SF71H 2018 F1 car
By Jonathan Noble, Giorgio Piola
Published on Monday March 12th 2018

97b455b3d755a8d0f80948cdd328c93d.jpg

Ferrari's 2018 SF71H Formula 1 car grabbed attention in pre-season testing thanks to the appearance of new bodywork tunnels exiting alongside the gearbox.

The intrigue over the tunnels was such that they prompted some wild conspiracy theories about double diffusers, although these suggestions were wide of the mark.

These channels are instead the latest step of a clever design path that Ferrari has been working on in recent seasons.

Since 2016, Ferrari began working on the idea of an extra channel on top of the diffuser area to help direct airflow. This trench was previously left open, but for this year it has taken the step of covering it to increase its power.

The extra push in this area is also directly linked to the team's decision to increase its car's wheelbase this year.

86e77a6014a4ad5ca3c89f508d9f48ec.jpg

Although last year's SF70H was in a class of its own on high-downforce tracks like Monaco and Hungary, it lacked the balance and aerodynamic efficiency required on more flowing circuits.

Increasing the wheelbase for 2018 - from 3550mm to 3678mm - allows the team to better manage airflow across the car's surfaces, and especially at the rear of the car, without it forcing the need for high-drag wings.

As Giorgio Piola's drawing (above) shows, Ferrari has achieved its longer car by moving its front wheels forward a little bit, but its rear wheels have been shifted backwards much more.

As well as lengthening the sidepods, the team has also moved the radiators and power unit forward to free up some space at the rear. This has the benefit of allowing the team to run ultra-tight packaging at the rear of the car.

But as well as very narrow sculpted bodywork at the rear, the design has opened up the chance to exploit more the airflow around the diffuser.

de8525dade55bea9b0ddc9d4334c4134.jpg

This means the channels run right alongside the wall of the new gearbox, which helps accelerate airflow to help feed the diffuser.

You can also see how Ferrari has shaped the gearbox covering to help channel air too.

How the channels work
By Matt Somerfield

863f5199832b66415fa33664b5627f83.jpg

The outlets that can be seen at the rear of the car are actually fed by a trough in the floor that has been present on the last few generations of car (2016's SF16H above).

046bda22ee51d29e900361bbfae11f74.jpg

Rather than the trough being exposed as it was in the past, Ferrari has now shrouded it with bodywork so the airflow around the coke bottle region has contours to follow.

4d1820dc847102d36701512a53863a63.jpg

This bodywork should provide a protective barrier for the flow, helping it to navigate the region more effectively over a wider number of operating conditions.

The team will hope that the SF71H delivers its peak performance more consistently at different tracks - and is especially better on the longer flowing circuits where Mercedes excelled in 2017.

#18 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 20,761 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 18:35

15 March 2018
A chocolate fireguard...

Joe Saward

The term "man of honour" has a different meaning depending on where you are. It you are in most countries, it means that you are honest and trustworthy. If you are in Italy or America, it means you are in the Mafia. There is no evidence to suggest that either Sergio Marchionne or Maurizio Arrivabene are men of honour in the Italian sense, and according to some rivals in F1 they don’t make it in the normal sense either. But then, as one cannot prove that a gentlemen's agreement even exists (because it is not written down) one cannot make such accusations without the people involved get upset - if they care about their reputations.

The reason for this rumination is that there is a squall in a proverbial teacup going on at the moment with regard to the impending departure of the FIA's Safety Director, Laurent Mekies, to join Ferrari. Mekies will serve a three-month period of notice and will start with Ferrari after another three months. This is embarrassing for the FIA because last year another of its trusted insiders (who had had access to data from all the teams) left to join Renault, with only three-months of gardening leave. This was later pushed to six months to appease the irate rival teams (Ferrari included). It was also done to bolster the FIA's position because teams may not wish to cooperate with the federation if it cannot guarantee that its boffins won't wander off to another team a few weeks later. The FIA says it cannot do much because of Swiss law, so the Strategy Group, which features some (but not all) the teams came up with a gentlemen's agreement that no key technical FIA employees would be employed by a race team within 12 months of leaving the FIA. Job done.

Well, no... You see a "gentlemen's agreement" as a concept is as trustworthy as a pack of magician's playing cards. When people agree to such a thing, it is meant to show a bond of trust between the group and I don't expect we'll be seeing any other such agreements any time soon in the future of F1.

But, honestly, what were they all thinking? One would thought that after all these years F1 people would know that a gentlemen's agreement in F1 is as worthless as a chocolate fireguard... And you cannot really blame the FIA because as we all know (or should know) a gentlemen's agreement relies on it being a deal between gentlemen. It relies on the word of honour of the parties involved. If some have no honour then it is a worthless thing. It is not enforceable because it was never written down and is legally non-binding. Thus if Ferrari broke such an agreement one might argue that they are a bunch of low-life cads and bounders. I don't know who is right or wrong, but I think the best thing is to ask the following question: Would I lend Sergio Marchionne or Maurizio Arrivabene a fiver? Or, let's look at it another way: if one of them said "Trust me on this", would I trust them?

Oh well, Marchionne says Ferrari is thinking about quitting F1, so what does it matter? He must be telling truth, no?

#19 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 20,761 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:41

Ferrari is understood to have made a 10bhp gain with its 2018 Formula 1 engine, despite the increased reliability demands needed for this season.

With drivers limited to just three power units for the 21-race campaign, manufacturers have had to work hard on improving durability and beefing up components to ensure they can last seven full grands prix.

Ferrari had set an original minimum target of matching its 2017 power for the start of this season, but insiders have suggested that it managed to eke out some actual gains for its Melbourne specification 062EVO.

Under the guidance of engine technical chief Corrado Iotti, a specific effort was made to lift performance at slow and medium speeds, where there was greater potential for laptime benefit.

A number of changes have been made, starting with the turbocharger system that is now lighter. It is said to deliver a greater boost with a shorter response time and with a more efficient way of charging the MGU-H.

With the reduction in engine usage this year, another focus has been on ensuring that the second specification power unit delivers a decent performance step, and can properly allow the team to take the fight to Mercedes.

Ferrari is eager to see how the current power unit stacks up against the new Mercedes specification, especially in terms of qualifying modes that decide the grid.

One issue of concern to the team, however, is the fact that the increased weight of 2018 cars, allied to more full-throttle time over a race lap this year, will lead to an increase in fuel consumption – something that could hold it back at tracks like Melbourne.

#20 /13/Ален Шмит/

/13/Ален Шмит/
  • Members
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 17:53

DY6EM1vX4AASkn5.jpg

#21 4_Webber

4_Webber
  • Members
  • 17,158 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:24

Znam da mi niko nece poverovati, ne bih ni ja sam sebi poverovao, ali mi je iskreno zao Fetela. Vec pljuste kritike i svi zaboravljaju ono sto je dobro uradio za Ferari od kada je dosao 2015. "Pobedjuje ga deda od 39 godina", "Psihicki je nestabilan". U timu kome vozaci ne znace nista, ne bi me cudilo da Ferari 2020. potrazi novog "spasioca".

#22 Hamilton

Hamilton
  • Members
  • 6,876 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:34

Pa tesko da ce boljeg naci, osim da dovedu Lewisa - sto je nemoguce.
Verstapen je prilicno nestabila/nepouzdan.
Eventualno Rikardo ili Kubica ako se vrati u full formu, ali ni to nije krem de la krem kao Fetel.
Alonso? Jok.

Ostaje Fetel tu gde jeste, najbolje za obe strane.

#23 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 20,761 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 16:49

Vettel: 2018 Ferrari 'has huge potential'
Tuesday, 27 March 2018
Chris Medland / Image by Hone/LAT

1015085996--20180325-_ONY9832g.jpg

Sebastian Vettel believes Ferrari's 2018 car "has huge potential" after taking a somewhat fortunate victory in the Australian Grand Prix.

Starting from third on the grid, Vettel struggled to make progress as polesitter Lewis Hamilton led Kimi Raikkonen, with the Mercedes appearing the quicker car. However, having run long on his first stint, a well-timed Virtual Safety Car allowed Vettel to leapfrog the two cars in front and then hold off Hamilton to win the opening race of the season.

Despite the result, Vettel acknowledges there are a number of areas Ferrari can still improve to be able to show better outright speed in future.

"I think the car has huge potential," Vettel said. "I'm still struggling a little bit. If we  compare to where we are still a bit weak, we also feel that the car is not yet there. When you're talking about something that you miss in the car as a driver, the car doesn't respond the way you like, it's sliding in places you don't want to to slide.

"I want the car to be spot on when I hit the brakes and turn in and in that window I'm not yet happy, so it's always sort of a compromise. Of course it's our job to drive around the problems that we have. But if I could choose, then I would like a little difference and yeah, it's not big drama. I think we can live with it. But I feel that when we get on top of that then you feel more confident."

Vettel says not having full confidence in the car translates into significant lap time on a temporary circuit such as Albert Park.

"On a track like [Melbourne] when you have confidence it makes a big difference. I think [Sunday] was quite windy, very gusty, so you always try to push but at the same time you need to be a bit safe, as you don't want to throw it away and that's exactly where it makes the difference.

"If you have the confidence and you trust the car, you don't think for a second and you just go out and do it. Let's hope that we need to think less the next races."

Moram d apriznam da mi se mnogo svidja ova nova / stara boja Ferarija. Jos da su krila ofarbana u crno bio bi pravi lepotan!

ferrari-alesi-55e70e1a47575.jpg

#24 /13/Ален Шмит/

/13/Ален Шмит/
  • Members
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 17:55

Znam da mi niko nece poverovati, ne bih ni ja sam sebi poverovao, ali mi je iskreno zao Fetela. Vec pljuste kritike i svi zaboravljaju ono sto je dobro uradio za Ferari od kada je dosao 2015. "Pobedjuje ga deda od 39 godina", "Psihicki je nestabilan". U timu kome vozaci ne znace nista, ne bi me cudilo da Ferari 2020. potrazi novog "spasioca".

NJima ni Alonso nije pomogao a ne kamoli Fetel. Ono što oni hoće a to je oživljavanje tipa 2000. neće uraditi angažovanjem megatalentovanog vozača. Vođstvo se mora menjati također, na dobrom su putu i to su dokazali prošle godine (u Alonsovo vreme vodeći ljudi su bili katastrofa). Šumaher je u petoj godini saradnje osvojio titulu, ove godine Fetelu je četvrta godina saradnje. Ove i prošle godnie ima bukvalno prekopirani duel Šumahera i Hakinena 98 i 99 godine s Hamiltonom.

Ako je verovati iluminatima, sledeće godine ćese Fetel okititi titulom.

Ferari više nije ona katastrofa iz Alonsovog vremena i to se vidi, titule su sada mnogo izglednije i treba imati vere.

Verovanja sam da ćese Fetel povući iz F1 nakon osvajanja titule s crvenima a sve ćese poklopiti za Rikjardov ulazak. Hamilton će F1 karijeru završiti u Mercedesu, Kubica ne dolazi u obzir. Lekleru će pružiti šansu samo ako se dokaže, Ferari nikada neće uzeti mladog vozača kao No1.

#25 Hertzog

Hertzog
  • Members
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 22:10

Hamiltonu karijera nece biti kompletna ako ne bude vozio za nas. Nadam se da ce tako i ostati

#26 leone

leone
  • Members
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:02

Ferari više nije ona katastrofa iz Alonsovog vremena i to se vidi, titule su sada mnogo izglednije i treba imati vere.

Mora da se sali s onim "katastrofa", dvije titule mu izmakle za 7 bodova!! Da je Alonso vanzemaljac ne bi mogao to ostvariti s "katastrofa" bolidom/timom.

#27 /13/Ален Шмит/

/13/Ален Шмит/
  • Members
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 17:43

Evo kako izgleda usis hladnjaka na bokovima bez aerodinamičkih detalja, ledilo!

DZYuIKZW0AAELkP.jpg

Hmm gde li sam video slično rešenje....

2017-Porsche-919-Hybrid-LMP1-0-600x407.j

Porše 919 Hibrid 2017 LMP1 prototip

#28 Dzoni_m

Dzoni_m
  • Members
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 13:49

NJima ni Alonso nije pomogao a ne kamoli Fetel. Ono što oni hoće a to je oživljavanje tipa 2000. neće uraditi angažovanjem megatalentovanog vozača. Vođstvo se mora menjati također, na dobrom su putu i to su dokazali prošle godine (u Alonsovo vreme vodeći ljudi su bili katastrofa). Šumaher je u petoj godini saradnje osvojio titulu, ove godine Fetelu je četvrta godina saradnje. Ove i prošle godnie ima bukvalno prekopirani duel Šumahera i Hakinena 98 i 99 godine s Hamiltonom.

Ako je verovati iluminatima, sledeće godine ćese Fetel okititi titulom.

Verovanja sam da ćese Fetel povući iz F1 nakon osvajanja titule s crvenima a sve ćese poklopiti za Rikjardov ulazak. Hamilton će F1 karijeru završiti u Mercedesu, Kubica ne dolazi u obzir. Lekleru će pružiti šansu samo ako se dokaže, Ferari nikada neće uzeti mladog vozača kao No1.

Ja se ponekad pitam da li ja gledam iste trke posle nekih Alen-ovih postova........Koja je to katastrofa Ferrari bio u vreme Alonsa? Coveku izmakle (zasluzeno) 2 titule na poslednjim trkama. Ferrari bio uvek u vrhu. 

A posebno ta izjava da im "ni Alsonso nije pomogao" treba da znaci sta? 

#29 /13/Ален Шмит/

/13/Ален Шмит/
  • Members
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 14:51

Poenta je u tome da je Ferari trebao biti na vrhu a ne da su se uvek vrteli u njemu. Masin angažman, pa Domenikali pa kasnije di Montecemolo s njegovim filozofijama su gotovo zbrisali Ferari s vrha. Na dugoročne staze Ferari je tada bio "katastrofa" jel apetite ekipe neće ispuniti konstatni podijumi i par pobeda. Ovo što gledamo danas je u potpunosti druga ekipa, sposobna za konstatne borbe za titule, da je to Alonso imao gde bi mu bio svet. Na jedvite jade se uspinjao tamo gde je bio 2010. i 2012. godine i čini mi se da je konstatno davanje 110% učinilo danka pa je pravio dečje greške tipa u kvalifikacijama u Monaku 2010. ili ono glupo odustajanje u Belgiji 2010. godine po receptu A la Fudži 2007.

Ja nekako ne mogu 2012. uzimati ozbiljno za bilo kakvo poređenje. Preluda sezona u kojoj su svi imali "svojih pet minuta", pa bogte Maldonado je pobedio u trci, Lotus je ostvario prvu pobedu nakon Senine iz Detroida 1987. pa onda Rozberg je ostvario prvu pobedu...

Alonsu je sve palo u vodu nakon pobede u Nemačkoj, ko da mu je crna mačka prešla put ili nešto.

Da samo ne spomenem proklete greške stratega koje su direktno iz zabavišta zapošljavali...

#30 Dzoni_m

Dzoni_m
  • Members
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 16:04

Poenta je u tome da je Ferari trebao biti na vrhu a ne da su se uvek vrteli u njemu. Masin angažman, pa Domenikali pa kasnije di Montecemolo s njegovim filozofijama su gotovo zbrisali Ferari s vrha. Na dugoročne staze Ferari je tada bio "katastrofa" jel apetite ekipe neće ispuniti konstatni podijumi i par pobeda. Ovo što gledamo danas je u potpunosti druga ekipa, sposobna za konstatne borbe za titule, da je to Alonso imao gde bi mu bio svet. Na jedvite jade se uspinjao tamo gde je bio 2010. i 2012. godine i čini mi se da je konstatno davanje 110% učinilo danka pa je pravio dečje greške tipa u kvalifikacijama u Monaku 2010. ili ono glupo odustajanje u Belgiji 2010. godine po receptu A la Fudži 2007.

Ja nekako ne mogu 2012. uzimati ozbiljno za bilo kakvo poređenje. Preluda sezona u kojoj su svi imali "svojih pet minuta", pa bogte Maldonado je pobedio u trci, Lotus je ostvario prvu pobedu nakon Senine iz Detroida 1987. pa onda Rozberg je ostvario prvu pobedu...

Alonsu je sve palo u vodu nakon pobede u Nemačkoj, ko da mu je crna mačka prešla put ili nešto.

Da samo ne spomenem proklete greške stratega koje su direktno iz zabavišta zapošljavali...

:puke: Boldovano. Mucenik jadni. Ta prica moze da prodje nekom kome prepricavas sezone a nije ih gledao. 2 titule je SAM ispustio. 

Ferrari je imao gresaka, kao i drugi. Ferrari je VECINU tih sezona je bio apsolutno tim koji je mogao osvojiti titulu. Pa nisu. Prihvatite to da Alonso nije nista bolji od Hamiltona, Vetela, Verstapena i Rikarda. Treba da ima iste uslove kao i oni da bi pobedjivao. Zato ta prica o njegovih 110%, pozrtvovanosti i ostalim sra*ima, moze u vodu. Navijacke gluposti.