Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:34

IndyCar to test windscreen at Phoenix
Friday, 02 February 2018
Marshall Pruett / Images courtesy of IndyCar

aIMG_1078.jpg

The first images of IndyCar's windscreen, which will make its testing debut next week on the one-mile Phoenix oval, have been revealed.

The cockpit safety device, designed by the series and developed with Dallara, has been in the works for more than a year through the use of computer simulations, computational fluid dynamics software, and in a driving simulator. Made from a material named Opticor produced by PPG, the windscreen is said to be more durable than polycarbonates used in tests conducted by other series.

Contrasting the Formula 1-style 'Halo' that makes use of composite tubes that raise over the cockpit like a wishbone, the see-through IndyCar windscreen is affixed in a wraparound manner to the cockpit opening – similar to a curved motorcycle windscreen – for the purpose of stopping and diverting flying objects that would otherwise come into contact with a driver's helmet.

aIMG_1080.jpg

Ahead of the two-day Phoenix open test on Feb. 9-10, the device will make its first public appearance with Scott Dixon and his No.9 Chip Ganassi Racing Honda on the afternoon of Feb. 8 while IndyCar's rookies have use of the oval. Testing the windscreen during the Feb. 9-10 tests with the entire field in action was also considered, but the eventual decision to conduct the maiden test in quieter surroundings with a handful of rookies was chosen.

"This has been a long process, one that's been very methodical and purposeful," said Jay Frye, IndyCar's president of competition. "We have been striving to create a safety piece that aesthetically looks good and works in all conditions, and this is a test of those things. Any piece we put on an Indy car must work for multiple types of venues and different lighting conditions. It has to be versatile."

aIMG_1079.jpg

Shown in the images, the windscreen has been attached to the Dallara DW12 tub using flush screws and large-area washers on a secondary piece that sits atop the chassis [see image below].

The creation of IndyCar's windscreen comes in the wake of Justin Wilson's death at the 2015 Pocono race, where he was struck in the helmet at nearly 200mph by the detached nose from a crashed car. The randomness of Wilson's fatality, along with the 2011 death of two-time Indy 500 winner Dan Wheldon, whose exposed helmet struck a steel pole in a violent 200-plus mph crash on the Las Vegas oval, have led to the windscreen's development behind closed doors.

"I know it's been a heated debate on whether cockpit protection is needed, but I really think it's critical, knowing my past, knowing what I've been through, but also as a driver as well," said Andretti Autosport Indy 500 driver Stefan Wilson, the younger brother of Justin Wilson. "We all accept the risks, accepting those risks, but I think by protecting the cockpit, it's not going to eliminate the danger but it puts control back in the driver's hands. When we're racing, we accept that if we make a mistake, we lose control, then we have that control of how far we can push it and how close we get to that danger."

JGS_0715-1.jpg

Along with his brother's fatal accident, Wilson pointed to the helmet strike incident suffered by Henry Surtees in 2009, when he was fatally injured after being hit by a flying wheel.

"What happened in Justin's incident and Henry Surtees' incident, it was completely out of their control," Wilson added. "They had zero control over it – wasn't their mistake, it was a fluke piece of debris that took their lives. This isn't the kind of risk we're talking about. It's important to take that next step where we can eliminate that randomness of being killed by a piece of debris. It's important enough to push for this added safety. The approach IndyCar is taking is the best route so far."

A timeline for the possible use of IndyCar's windscreen in competition has not been established.

Meni ovo sasvim OK izgleda!

#168 MrIncredible

MrIncredible
  • Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:55

I meni se više sviđa od Halo-a, e sad kako je kad pada kiša ili kad se nalepi štroka, druga je stvar.

#169 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 16:04

Navodno u pitanju je isti materijal koji se koristi za kokpite F-16 lovackih aviona, i tretiran je necim sto odbija stroku. Jbmliga. Confused04.gif

#170 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:14

Further ballistic, rain testing scheduled for IndyCar windscreen
Friday, 02 February 2018
Marshall Pruett / Image by Skibinski/IndyCar

JGS_0796-1.jpg
ABOVE: Jeff Horton, IndyCar Director of Engineering/Safety, installs a windscreen on the 2018 Indy car. 

IndyCar's prototype windscreen makes use of a material found in aerospace applications and as windshields and cabin windows on commercial airliners and private jets.

Made by PPG, its "Opticor advanced transparency material" is also believed to be used for the cockpit canopy on modern jet fighters, which could explain the similarity in looks between the device revealed by IndyCar on Friday and those seen protecting military pilots in the air.

Designed for cruising speeds between 500-600mph and the ability to act as a deflector for bird strikes at more than twice the speed a Chevy- or Honda-powered Indy car can achieve, the choice of Opticor as the material for the new windscreen would appear to be based on shared safety criteria.

RACER understands that while initial ballistic testing has been done with IndyCar's windscreen, more robust firing of objects at the device will take place in the months ahead. The known deflective properties of Opticor, now used at the lower speed it will experience in the Verizon IndyCar Series, could explain why an extensive series of ballistic tests have not been carried out so far with the windscreen.

Additional testing in adverse conditions, including rain, will be part of future tests, and IndyCar's windscreen will also make use of tearoff strips, made to a larger size than those employed by drivers with their helmets, to pull away water, oil, and rubber debris that will build up on the device.

Although the windscreen has not been shown in place on a fully assembled Indy car, the series is said to have focused rather heavily on the aesthetics of the device in order to complement the new, appealing bodywork all cars will carry in 2018.

Testing of the windscreen on Feb. 8 at Phoenix International Raceway will be broken into three phases. Set within the test day for IndyCar's rookie drivers on the one-mile oval, the series will clear the track at approximately 4 p.m. and put four-time series champion and 2008 Indy 500 winner Scott Dixon to work in his Chip Ganassi Racing Honda for 5-10 laps in full sunlight.

Rookie will resume testing on their own before Dixon returns for another 5-10 laps at approximately 5:30 p.m. to gather feedback on how running at dusk affects his ability to see through the windscreen at 190mph or more.

The final outing is planned for roughly 7:30 p.m. with the same number of laps reserved for full darkness, albeit under the lights at PIR.

#171 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 19:26

Dzimi Vaser se vraca u Indikar nakon pauze od godinu dana zbog bankrotstva KVSH tima u kome je bio suvlasnik sa Kevinom Kolhovenom (gazdom Kosvorta) i Salijem Salivanom. Umesto Kolhovena oni su se sada uortacili sa Dejlom Kojnom i postace suvlasnici bolida #18 koji vozi bisi KVSH vozac Sebastijan Borde. Evo kako ce bolid da izgleda:

DVSIPnAUMAAmwVU.jpg

A evo i Penskijevog #22 koji ce voziti Simon Pazeno:

DVSgCQ6VwAAZI5B.jpg

I ECR dvojac:

DVR8uRkV4AA1okI.jpg

DVR9HULUQAA_fzA.jpg

#172 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 13:41

Sonoma test report - Newgarden fastest, Fittipaldi surprises
Monday, 05 February 2018
Marshall Pruett (words & images)

IndyCarSonoma_2018_MarshallPruett_Mon26_

A productive first day of testing with IndyCar's new 2018 bodywork at Sonoma Raceway – site of the season finale – was completed on Monday, but only after the most bizarre of delays was experienced.

The track's use of local sheep to consume the surrounding shrubbery went awry when large numbers of the creatures broke free and littered the racing surface with the byproduct of all the greenery that was eaten. Efforts by Sonoma Raceway to wash the sheep poo away exacerbated the problem as the cool morning temperatures prevented the water from drying.

Despite the late start, 12 drivers ventured out for a slippery morning session where a low 1m18s lap was said to be fastest. In the warm afternoon session, which ran to 5 p.m., Team Penske was the fastest with its Chevy-powered trio of Josef Newgarden at an unofficial 1m18.1s, Will Power (1m18.3s), and Simon Pagenaud (1m18.6s). They were shadowed by the Honda-powered Dale Coyne Racing entries for Sebastien Bourdais (1m18.7s)and his impressive rookie teammate Pietro Fittipaldi (1m18.9s).

Among the others to test on Monday, A.J. Foyt Racing rookie Matheus Leist was next up on the timesheets (1m19.0s), followed by Schmidt Peterson Motorsports' rookie Robert Wickens (1m19.1s), Ed Carpenter Racing rookie Jordan King (1m19.2s), SPM's James Hinchcliffe (1m19.3s), ECR's Spencer Pigot (1m19.4s), Foyt's Tony Kanaan (1m19.9s), and Harding Racing's Gabby Chaves, who had a harmless off that brought out a red flag (1m20.3s),

Teams now head straight to Phoenix where IndyCar's rookie class will spend Thursday on the one-mile oval between windscreen tests conducted by the series with Chip Ganassi Racing's Scott Dixon.

#173 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 18:07

Evo i novih boja i dugorocnog sponzora za Diksona:

PNC.jpg

#174 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 19:15

Test na Finiksu ovog petka i subote ce biti prenosen uzivo na Indikar YT kanalu:

Verizon IndyCar Series fans are itching to see the full field going wheel to wheel with the new-look cars in 2018.

They’ll get that chance this week, with INDYCAR offering an enhanced live video stream of the two-day open test Friday and Saturday at ISM Raceway near Phoenix. All four sessions will be streamed live and include live commentary and pit-lane interviews with drivers and team officials. The stream will be available at racecontrol.indycar.com and includes live timing and scoring.

Last year’s open test live stream used a single stationary camera high above Turn 1 of the 1.022-mile oval in the desert to capture the on-track action, without audio commentary – but interest was strong. The twelve hours of live streaming over the two days generated more than 57,000 live or same-day views, and over a year and a half worth of minutes (862,000) of live action were consumed by INDYCAR fans around the world.

Coverage at this year’s test will be enhanced. A second camera is being added that will roam pit lane to capture interviews and complementary video.

Mark Jaynes, lead announcer for the Advance Auto Parts INDYCAR Radio Network, will provide booth commentary of the action, along with Indianapolis TV sports anchor and INDYCAR radio network reporter Dave Furst. Fellow INDYCAR radio network reporters Jake Query and Katie Hargitt will be stationed in pit lane to provide additional information and timely interviews.

Test sessions both days run from 3-6 p.m. and 8-11 p.m. ET. A total of 23 cars are expected to participate in the test. It is the first gathering of all cars that are running the universal aero kit being introduced to Verizon IndyCar Series competition in 2018.

The 2018 season consists of 17 races, beginning with the Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg from March 9-11. The Phoenix Grand Prix at ISM Raceway is the second race on the schedule, on April 6-7.

Testiranje ce da ukljucuje i probu vetrobrana / zastite za kokpit.

#175 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 00:41

Ride with Ed Carpenter Racing’s Spencer Pigot in his No.21 Chevy as the 2015 Indy Lights champion samples IndyCar’s new lower downforce bodywork around the daunting hills and turns at Sonoma Raceway.

Dealing with a slick track was the first challenge for the Floridian, and with more than 1,000 pounds of downforce removed from when the series raced at Sonoma in September, some of the corners are no longer flat-out adventures. A lift going up the hill to Turn 2, lifts through the frighteningly fast Turn 3/3A complex, and longer pauses while waiting to hammer the throttle pedal winding around the Carousel are among the most obvious changes shown from inside Pigot’s car.

Start with Pigot climbing in, executing a pit stop, and then getting up to speed on cold tires during the first session of the afternoon as his 2.2-liter twin-turbo Chevy V6 engine winds to 12,000rpms during the rapid tour.

To compare cornering capabilities, here's Scott Dixon in the now-departed setup:

#176 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 00:49

#177 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 13:47

- Pjetro Fitipaldi potvrdjen na 7 trka u DCR bolidu #19. 

- Dzon Andreti pobedio kancer debelog creva.

#178 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 17:55

#179 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 19:21

Kanaan: Tyre degradation harder to stem with new IndyCar aerokit
By David Malsher
Published on Wednesday February 7th 2018

0ccbcde3c602e7ec4bfecc7cff0faf44.jpg 

IndyCar teams are desperately seeking ways to stem tyre degradation with the new aerokits, says 2004 champion and '13 Indianapolis 500 winner Tony Kanaan.

The veteran Brazilian, who has moved to AJ Foyt Racing for 2018 after four years at Ganassi, said Monday's Sonoma test highlighted how much impact the aerodynamic changes were having.

"2000lbs of downforce removed, and you feel it missing everywhere - from braking, to turn in, to power down. There's less," Kanaan told Autosport.

"This track has always been really hard on tyres, but with less downforce your problems are coming sooner.

"The tyres were sliding less when we had a lot of downforce with the aerokits we had the past three years.

"Now, you've got to really manage the tyres, and that's because of the downforce being reduced.

"I don't want anyone to think it's because Firestones aren't good - the degradation occurs because you don't have this aero grip pushing you into the track. You're sliding across the surface more, and right away. So the tyres start degrading sooner.

"It's hard to go flat through the chicane on worn tyres, and it gets harder and harder each time through.

"But the track is quite green, we only have half the usual number of cars here. It will improve."

Reigning champion Josef Newgarden, who led a Penske 1-2-3 in Monday's unofficial test, argued degradation rates had not changed significantly.

"The tyres feel similar to what we were getting before," he said.

"They degraded a lot last year, from laps 15-20 you could really feel it, and now I'd say it's the same but it's offset by having less grip overall."

Newgarden also played down the differences between the 2017 and '18 cars.

"Obviously you notice a lot less grip on this car, a significant drop," he said. "It's moving around a lot more, we were way more stuck.

"But I'd say the traits, the overall balance and feel, are not that different.

"The set-up [from the old car] has maintained some significance here.

"There are other tracks where you are starting from a clean sheet - Sebring seems very different, and I think street courses will take a bigger step.

"But it seems like here you can start from a decent baseline [from the old car] and work on changes from there."

bb384337ebdd220afaf7767b711a565f.jpg

Kanaan emphasised that he was not complaining about the new cars.

"This is how we wanted IndyCar to be," he said. "Now it's up to us to find the right grip level.

"We wanted to get more like the balance of CART Indycars back when I came into the series, and for sure these remind me of the CART cars.

"Back then we had a little more downforce than this but also more power, but this car is a step in that direction."

Firestone has been working with teams during testing of the 2018 aerokit and has made tyre construction changes accordingly.

It will also introduce a new wet tyre for the coming season.

#180 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 21:45

- Zvanicno potvrdjen i Zek Klaman de Melo na 10 trka u Kojnovom bolidu #19 (uz Pjetra Fitipaldija na preostalih 7 trka). Time je zatvoren Indikar grid sto se tice bolida za kompletnu sezonu. Sto se tice Indija, trenutno imamo 30 potvrdjenih + Daniku za koju se ocekuje potvrda, ceka se jos dva a postoji sansa i za treci.