Indikar sezona 2018

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#136 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 18,858 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 14:04

Sanse da ce Danika Patrik karijeru da zavrsi onako kako je zamislila su sve manje - kako stvari stoje nema timova zainteresovanih da je angazuju za Dejtonu 500 i Indi - propali su pregovori i sa Ganasijem, do sada najozbiljnijim kandidatom:

Patrick, CGR no longer talking about 500 plans
Thursday, 11 January 2018
By Kelly Crandall / Image by Russell LaBounty/LAT

Danica_labounty.jpg

Chip Ganassi Racing president Steve Lauletta doesn't see Danica Patrick joining CGR for the Daytona 500 or the Indianapolis 500.

"No, we're not talking any longer," Lauletta said during an appearance on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio on Thursday night, when asked if CGR was still in the running to land Patrick for the Indy 500 this coming May. "I think it would have made sense, and we did have conversations, if she wanted to run in both races, the Daytona 500 and the Indianapolis 500. Ultimately, we couldn't come to a solution that worked for both of us."

Patrick, who announced she would not run NASCAR full-time going forward, is trying to put together a deal, or deals, to end her motorsports career by running the Feb. 18 Daytona 500 for NASCAR, and then the biggest race in the IndyCar Series.

Last week, Patrick admitted the process is moving along slower than she would have liked to finalize her plans. She remains confident she will be behind the wheel when the green flag falls in both races.

Even if it is not with CGR, Lauletta is just as confident she will be in the mix. The priority now shifts back to the ever-constant goal for Ganassi.

"We're going to stay focused on the task at hand ... which is getting the [Nos.] 1 and the 42 in Cup and the [No.] 42 in Xfinity into Victory Lane as much as we can with the hopes of winning a couple of championships," Lauletta said.

"And the same thing on our IndyCar program. We've got cars that were testing yesterday in Sebring, and we're going to stay focused on that rather than put another temporary effort together and not doing it up to the standards that we would want to. So, I don't think you'll see that [Patrick] happening with us in 2018."

#137 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 18,858 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 00:51

- Harding Rejsing, tim koji je prosle godine debitovao u Indikar sampionatu na tri trke sa Gabijem Cavesom za volanom potvrdio je ucesce u kompletnoj Indikar sezoni sa jednim bolidom (ponovo Caves) i plus jos Indi i mozda jos nekoliko trka sa drugim bolidom (jos se ne zna vozac).

#138 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 18,858 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 15:46

Three-time Le Mans 24 Hours-winning race engineer Leena Gade has joined the Schmidt Peterson Motorsports to become race engineer for James Hinchcliffe in the Arrow Electronics #5 car.

Gade’s appointment to SPM marks the first female lead race engineer in IndyCar history.

Opa, ovo je opasno pojacanje za Gradonacelnika, u pitanju je vrhunski inzenjer u rangu sa najboljima u F1.

#139 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 18,858 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 13:47

Andretti: 2018 IndyCar is what a “pure” open-wheel car should be

indycar-texas-november-testing-2017-jose

By: David Malsher, US Editor
Yesterday at 11:42pm

Four-time Indy car champion Mario Andretti has endorsed the 2018 universal aerokit and the principles behind it, saying the fans’ calls for more exciting racing had been heard.

The new Dallara-developed kit replaces the downforce-laden manufacturer-developed aerokits of the past three seasons. The design not only reduces overall downforce by up to 25 percent, the majority of the downforce now comes from the underside of the car, thereby reducing aerowash or ‘dirty air’, and allowing following cars to run closer, and thus create more passing opportunities. In addition, the increased top speed and lower cornering speeds, along with the reduced downforce, have lengthened braking zones and made the cars more unstable.

Andretti, speaking at the NAIAS auto show said: “Our audiences today are more sophisticated than ever and they want more and more from us as far as the product, as far as action on the track, overtaking and so forth. We have to give it to them because that's [also] what we like to do, ultimately. I think this is the best way to achieve it.

"This thing is beautiful as it is. It's just going back to what the pure open-wheel, single-seater should be."

Reigning IndyCar champion, Team Penske-Chevrolet’s Josef Newgarden, added: “We've tried to check the boxes on everything you need to with this car to make sure it's going to function well and give us what we were looking for from a design standpoint. IndyCar is really looking to deliver on big promises.

“[The new car is] bolder, it's more daring and really, we believe it has improved aerodynamics that are going to help the racing product tremendously, so I'm looking forward to that probably the most. We believe it's going to be faster, we believe it's going to be safer, it's going to provide better racing like we've talked about."

"We want it to be an incredible-looking Indy car. We want people to come back to the IndyCar Series and love what we're producing from an aesthetic standpoint, but the message that we really want to push is that our racing product is going to be the best on the planet… I don't think you're going to get a better racecar as far as an open-wheel car goes."

Team Penske owner Roger Penske agreed with Newgarden’s sentiments, describing the 2018 car as “the opportunity to showcase the driver, because the downforce was so high on the existing cars in '17 and before…

“I know all the drivers that have tested it, both on the Honda side and the Chevy side, are giving us great reviews, so from a cost perspective, a competitive perspective and I think the look of the car, it's going to be a home run.”

#140 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 18,858 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:58

Gradonacelnik o svom novom inzenjeru:

Hinchcliffe revved up by Gade's addition to SPM
Wednesday, 17 January 2018
By Marshall Pruett / Images by IndyCar & SPM

JGS_1370-1.jpg

James Hinchcliffe will have plenty of adjustments to make this season with all the changes taking place at Schmidt Peterson Motorsports.

The first for the charismatic Canadian could come with his new race engineer Leena Gade, who brings a sizable international fanbase to the program after her multiple wins at the 24 Hours of Le Mans with Audi. Always among IndyCar's most popular drivers, the 'Mayor of Hinchtown' might need to find a new comfort zone as the second-most famous person on SPM's payroll.

"When the announcement went out, we were texting and I told her, 'Wow, I didn't know my engineer was such a celebrity...don't forget us little guys down below!" a laughing Hinchcliffe told RACER. "All kidding aside, I think it's awesome that the feedback on social media was incredible – overwhelming. The funny thing is, we just want to get to work. We're over the 'new toy' phase and want to go racing.

"But it's cool to see so many people recognize the significance of her move and what it means to us at Schmidt Peterson. You can't ignore the fact how much this means. And I think I just inherited a bunch of support from her fans from Europe...now I need to make sure I don't let them down!"

gade3.JPG

With the Briton (above) installed as his new engineer, Hinchcliffe will have one of racing's most accomplished names in charge of the No. 5 Honda Indy car. Considering her lack of oval racing experience, and the newness of engineering an open-wheel car in North America, Hinchcliffe and new SPM technical director Todd Malloy can also be counted upon to lend their knowledge and accelerate Gade's command of IndyCar competition.

"Now that she's touched down on U.S. soil, we'll spend a lot of time going over past events with the team," he said. "We'll look at what worked, what didn't, how we dealt with certain problems, what results we found, and we're really giving her a crash course on not just the engineering side, but the race strategy side and IndyCar culture. We'll have a couple of tests together before the first race at St. Pete, and we also have Todd in an overseeing position for both cars."

In light of Gade's rapid rise within the Audi Sport LMP1 program, Hinchcliffe is confident Malloy's introductory assistance will taper off rather quickly.

"In the beginning, I think he'll be mentoring her a lot, but I can't think of anyone better to help her," he continued. "We know there's going to be a teething process, but if you know her career, she has a trend of being thrown in the deep end, and she doesn't sink; she's still breathing, so this is just another one of those scenarios and we expect her to be an exceptional member of the team."

Coming from the Audi Sport team and its annual budget of hundreds of millions of dollars, Gade will have fewer resources at her disposal in IndyCar where spending more than $8 million per year on an entry is rare. The comparatively simple Dallara DW12 chassis, 2.2-liter twin-turbo V6 Honda engine, and UAK18 bodywork will also be a significant change after years of mastering Audi's hybrid-assisted turbodiesel all-wheel-drive prototypes, and as Hinchcliffe sees it, it could be a positive.

"We have fewer systems on the car to worry about; it's not as complex as having multiple drivers to deal with in the same car, a KERS system, all the electronics and everything else that makes those cars so insanely cool but also kind of crazy," he said.

"What we have here in IndyCar is more stripped down, maybe more pure, even. And I think in a lot of ways, because the car has stricter rules to deal with, it could be a blessing. Our cars might not be like the P1 cars, but if you look at all the tracks she'll come across – Indianapolis and Toronto and Iowa and all the places that are unique to IndyCar – there's going to be a lot of new puzzles for her to solve."

#141 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 18,858 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 16:00

- Danika Patrik je obnovila saradnju sa GoDaddy.com i u slucaju angazmana za Dejtonu i Indi imace njihovo sponzorstvo. Ovo bi moglo da pokrene sa mrtve tacke pregovore sa timovima koji se do sada nisu bas nesto pretrgli da joj ponude mesto u kokpitu.

#142 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 18,858 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:46

Do juce Daniky niko nije hteo ni stapom za pecanje da pipne a cim je danas objavljeno da je dobila sponzorstvo odmah se javili D&R da su zainteresovani da joj daju bolid za Indi... :rolleyes:

Patrick in frame for second DRR Indy 500 seat
Thursday, 18 January 2018
Marshall Pruett / Image by Levitt/LAT

levitt-0517-ims_46176.jpg

Dennis Reinbold has made a sizable investment in his Verizon IndyCar Series team ahead of the 2018 season with an intent to run two cars at the Indy 500 and more races afterwards, if possible.

His Indianapolis-based Dreyer & Reinbold Racing team is expected to have Sage Karam back in one of its Chevy-powered entries, and with growing interest for a second DRR Indy entry – possibly for Danica Patrick – new cars have been ordered from Dallara.

"We've got two new DW12s coming from them," Reinbold told RACER. "And I do plan to run a second car at Indy. I have spoken with her people, but I don't know where we're at with them."

Patrick and GoDaddy announced their reunion for her Daytona 500 and Indy 500 farewell tour this morning, and Reinbold says the great NASCAR season-opener in February is likely her first priority to solidify.

"We haven't heard from her group for a little while, and I assume they're working on Danica's NASCAR plans first, since she wants to do Daytona and that's right around the corner," he said. "You know how it is in the offseason. We've spoken with everybody, heard from everybody, and she isn't the only one we're in conversation with."

Although the DW12 chassis is in its final years of action ahead of its replacement tentatively scheduled for 2020 or 2021, Reinbold has found enough value in the series' current state to spend money on new cars.

"I'm pretty happy with how things are evolving in IndyCar, so I'm willing to do more and push harder on our end to do more things," he said. "And I'm really happy to get to a place where we can run two cars.

"It solidifies us in the future if we decide to do more races, because we'll have all the equipment we need. We'll have three cars total, so we can do two at Indy, at minimum, without fear for spares or anything else. With three cars, we have all kinds of options."

A farewell association with Chevy, which would place Patrick in a Camaro ZL1 NASCAR entry at Daytona and a Dallara DW12 propelled by the brand's twin-turbo V6 powerplant, is also rumored to be part of her negotiations.

#143 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 18,858 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 17:34

IndyCar engine development agreement, new formula coming
Friday, 19 January 2018
By Marshall Pruett / Images by Levitt, Abbott & Skibinski/IndyCar

levitt_mido_0717-03900.jpg

The Verizon IndyCar Series, Chevy, and Honda are close to developing the next set of engine regulations, and with those rules in the works, both brands have agreed to step back from the full slate of motor development options available this season.

The decision comes during a year where, without the intentional change, Chevy supplier Ilmor Engineering and Honda Performance Development would have been allowed to make costly updates to their 2.2-liter twin-turbo V6 motors. Based on the current engine formula introduced in 2012, odd years like 2017 called for highly restrictive R&D allowances while even years have given Chevy and Honda freedoms to replace cylinder heads, turbos and the induction system, camshafts, and other core pieces.

In light of the pending next-generation engine rules, all three parties have come together to stick with the limited odd-year R&D plan until the new regulations are implemented somewhere around 2020.

"When we agreed over the summer that we were going to look at a new engine a couple years from now, we collectively agreed to limit the amount of development that's going on to the engines right now because they are getting, I'll say, old," HPD race team leader Allen Miller told RACER.

Where pistons and valvetrain have always remained open for development, the odd-year options with new connecting rods and fuel injection upgrades will stand as the primary areas for Ilmor and HPD to exploit until the next formula hits the track.

abbott_wglen_0817_8488.jpg

The 2018 season marks the seventh year in action for the 2.2-liter TTV6 formula, and with untold millions already invested in finding more power and reliability from the mills on an annual basis, Miller says there isn't much left to discover without breaking the bank.

"So, on both sides, we are spending a lot of money when we go back through and try to do new cams or new intake ports or a new induction system," he added. "How much more can we squeeze out of this without changing some of the other major components? We've come up on the design limitations or exceeded in some cases.

"Originally, we expected four years with this formula, then something new for the fifth. We are going into the seventh year of competition for this engine. They were never intended to run at the power levels we are seeing now, that we've increased to now. So we looked at it and decided for the next two years until we do a new engine, let's hold back on the amount of development that we can do, and not waste money."

IndyCar competition president Jay Frye is happy to see the short-term de-escalation of the horsepower arms race.

"Everything we do, we try to be smart and frugal about it," he told RACER. "You can see where we're going, you can see what we're doing, and [the manufacturers] know where to spend and when. Everybody has a finite amount of dollars to use, so we just want to make sure we're very conscious of that."

Even at the limited development level, Miller has concerns about reliability as the engines creep closer to 800hp in the coming years. A chance to start from scratch will, as he explains, be a sigh of relief for everyone.

"We are definitely looking forward to being able to introduce a new engine because the level we've brought the engines to now, it starts causing problems," he said. "We are on a pretty fine line of being OK or not OK, and every time we creep it up a little bit more, there's risk. We will continue to do the carefully guarded improvements that we can do with the limited areas to work on. We are not stopping that.

"And we want to keep the racing good and clean and have the engines reliable so teams can race. It's a good thing, although it doesn't let us do the kind of work you'd like to do every year, but we can focus on looking at a new engine and what we can do there."

At least for what's been discussed on the timeline for bringing the new engine rules into play, if a third manufacturer joins the series, 2020 would be the target. If it remains at two, it will likely be extended to 2021. Once a hard date is set, manufacturers can be expected to start shifting budgets toward IndyCar's future engine formula.

"It's pretty far along, so we have an idea of what it will be," Miller said. "Obviously, when we start looking at it in more detail once, because we have a good idea of what it's going to be, our work will gradually shift over to a new engine."

JGS_2710-1.jpg

With horsepower spikes being kept in check, 2017's performance figures – not to mention the comparative strengths of both brands at various tracks – could carry over to some degree this year. Although wild gains in the dyno cells are on pause, Frye is confident the aerodynamic drag reduction offered by the UAK18 aero kit will act like free power for Chevy and Honda teams.

"Really, the biggest thing going into this year is the new car, and if you listen to all the drivers' comments that we've got back so far, it's that the car feels like it's got 100 more horsepower," he said. "The car accelerates better, the car – the lap times have been fast, and part of that is obviously because the car has less drag."

News of the next engine rules could be forthcoming in the weeks ahead, and one mutual agreement – and one slogan – has emerged.

"We hope to have some sort of news on this early in the year," Frye said. "And we are in agreement that the power piece is what's next in the equation. Everybody wants more power, so that's what we're working on giving our fans with this plan. 'Fast and loud,' brother, that's the thing we're going for."

#144 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 18,858 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:06

What are Patrick's real options for Daytona and Indy?
Friday, 19 January 2018
By Kelly Crandall and Marshall Pruett / Images by Kinrade, Harrelson & Boyd/LAT

danica_kinrade.JPG

Danica Patrick's most viable prospects for landing a ride for Daytona and Indy both appear to reside with small- to-medium-sized programs.

GoDaddy announced on Thursday that it will rekindle its partnership with the 35-year-old for what has been coined the "Danica Double"; the two-race farewell tour with which she plans to end her career. But she's yet to confirm a seat for either race, and with Daytona now just a month away, locking down the NASCAR side of the equation has become the priority.

A common denominator in the deal that Patrick's management team is shopping around is reportedly Chevrolet, and on the Cup front, that immediately limits her options when it comes to the major teams.

Chip Ganassi Racing has already said Patrick will not be in one of its cars. The car cap of four would also rule out Hendrick Motorsports, which at any rate has not expressed any interest in getting involved in the Patrick sweepstakes.

Also to be taken off the list: Richard Childress Racing. RCR does have an open car – as well as a charter with the No. 27, as Paul Menard has moved on – but a spokesperson for the team told RACER that "Danica Patrick is not a driver for RCR nor does it have plans to field a car with her as the driver for next month's Daytona 500."

Danica_harrelson.JPG

Where does that leave Patrick? Three weeks before cars are on track to practice and qualify, anything is possible – including Patrick linking up with a smaller team that's willing to field a car.

Tommy Baldwin now works with Jay Robinson at Premium Motorsports, however, Baldwin fielded the No. 7 Chevrolet in select races last season, including at the restrictor-plate tracks. Baldwin declined to comment, but it should also be noted that Premium Motorsports is still in the process of finalizing its own plans for the 2018 season.

Other Chevrolet teams include Richard Petty Motorsports, JTG Daugherty-Racing, Germain Racing, and Leavine Family Racing.

Patrick said this week she was very close with her plans for Daytona and an announcement could be coming soon. Which means that she can then turn her attention to securing a ride for Indy.

As with NASCAR, the majority of IndyCar's front-running programs have confirmed their lack of openings. Andretti Autosport, Chip Ganassi Racing, Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports, and Team Penske have all ruled themselves out and wished her the best of luck. And while the topic of possibly running four cars has been raised at Dale Coyne Racing, the team is tipped to stay with three, which would close another door for Patrick.

Again, it leaves her best chances in a Chevy-powered entry. Multiple sources have told RACER that Patrick's management team has been in contact with Indy 500 polesitters Ed Carpenter Racing; Indy specialists Dreyer & Reinbold Racing have confirmed talks with her and the impressive newcomers at Harding Racing also are also considered a viable option for the Wisconsin-born driver.

Danica_Dan_boyd.jpg

As DRR owner Dennis Reinbold told RACER on Thursday, "I have spoken with her people, but I don't know where we're at with them," which follows a similar pattern to what's said to be taking place with ECR. 

Seeing Patrick in a third ECR Chevy as teammate to Spencer Pigot and Ed Carpenter, or in a second DRR Chevy alongside Sage Karam, seems all but inevitable at this stage.

Harding's Chevy IndyCar outfit is another destination that could accommodate Patrick with ease. Full-season driver Gabby Chaves finished ninth on the team's IndyCar debut at the 2017 Indy 500, and with the recent addition of former IndyCar leader Brian Barnhart to the program as its president, she has another competitive solution to consider.

"We've had a lot of people reach out, and I would certainly have interest in having Danica in one of our cars, and have a great relationship with her," Barnhart told RACER. "She's done a lot for the sport and helped the sport on a lot of levels. I'd welcome talking with her, but to be honest, we haven't spoken at this time. It's clearly in our plans, with the right deal, to be a two-car effort at Indianapolis."

Edited by Rad-oh-yeah?, Yesterday, 02:07.