Mercedes 2017

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#76 alberto.ascari

alberto.ascari
  • Members
  • 28,756 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 20:24

Naravno, ali su ocajno dizajnirani/pozicionirani za moj ukus.

Za moj ukus je auto megagnusan, slažem se u potpunosti sa Džonijem.

#77 /13/Ален Шмит/

/13/Ален Шмит/
  • Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 13:17

Očekivano...

Bottas secures Mercedes contract for 2018

The Mercedes Formula 1 team has extended Valtteri Bottas's contract for the 2018 season.

Bottas was signed as a last-minute replacement for 2016 world champion Nico Rosberg, who shocked F1 when he announced his retirement a week after winning the title.

The Finn has won two races so far this year as he has settled in alongside Lewis Hamilton, and it has long been believed that an extension of the deal was just a formality.

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff said: "We gave Valtteri a big challenge this year: joining the team at the eleventh hour, stepping up to the forefront of F1 and pairing with the sport's best driver as his teammate.

"With that in mind, his results have been probably even more impressive. There have been ups and downs - more ups, fewer downs - and some great highlights like his two race wins in Russian and Austria.

"Overall, the balance of his performances and his upward trajectory made it a no-brainer for us to continue with him into 2018. For our team, the bonus factors are the respect and sportsmanship that have grown between our two drivers.

"The chemistry and dynamic between Valtteri and Lewis work and are what we need to take the fight to our competitors."

By signing Bottas to another one year deal, Mercedes keeps its options open in the driver market for 2019, which Wolff has hinted in the past would play a role in the team's thinking.

Bottas, who sits third in the drivers' standings, added: "I am honoured and proud to continue to work with Mercedes in 2018 and to remain part of the Mercedes family.

"Together, we continue to grow stronger day by day, and by keeping up our hard work I believe the sky is the limit.

"Since joining the team in January, I've enjoyed every day working with them. As a driver, I've been able to learn and grow massively, and we have already enjoyed some really good moments this season that I will never forget.

"Partnering Lewis has also been really good, and I'm enjoying the respect we have and the will to push this team forward together.

"When the team hired me for the 2017 season, they took a leap of faith by putting their trust in my skills. This new contract for 2018 shows that I've earned that trust.

"I'm happy to have celebrated my first race wins in a Silver Arrow, however, there's always room for improvement and I still have not shown my full potential.

"I will continue to work hard on and off the track, to further improve my driving, get even better results and show that putting their trust in me was the right decision.

"I want to thank all the board members, the people at the factories in Brackley and Brixworth as well as the race team and all the fans for their support and trust. It means a lot to me."

#78 /13/Ален Шмит/

/13/Ален Шмит/
  • Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 22:51

Video: Mercedes-AMG Formula 1 Engines Reach Unprecedented Efficiency

Considered by some to be the pinnacle of engine technology, R&D budgets for Formula 1 engines are astronomical. However, that’s not due to the use of exotic materials, but rather because they are trying to squeeze every last drop of power and longevity out of a set of rules that makes other rulebooks look like elementary-school reading. Mercedes-AMG has just released this video, in which Owen Jones, the Head of Performance and Controls at Mercedes-AMG High Performance Powertrains, reveals the impressive performance landmark they’ve achieved with the 2017 Formula 1 engine: the M08 EQ Power+. Using the 50th engine to come out of the shop this season, the Mercedes-AMG team put the engine on the dyno, in hopes of achieving what Owens calls “Something we’ve been trying to achieve for a while now.”

video-mercedes-amg-formula-1-engines-rea

All Formula 1 teams are limited by FIA rules in not only the type of fuel, but also the actual amount of fuel consumed, so there is a fixed amount of potential chemical energy the combination has available to it. Knowing this, Owens and his team have been looking to increase the efficiency of the powerplant. According to Owens, most engines only convert 30-to-35-percent of the potential energy available in the fuel into usable horsepower. With the particular engine in the video – unit GH-50 – they achieved a remarkable 50-percent thermal efficiency figure from the 1.6-liter 90-degeree V6 turbo-hybrid screamer, marking the first time any of their competition engines have made more useful power than waste energy.

Owens explains the process to increase efficiency as a multi-faceted endeavor. The team starts with the actual design of the engine and how the various design elements – combustion chambers, valves, and intake and exhaust runners – flow. Then they address minimizing losses by reducing friction anywhere and everywhere they can, in both the electrical and internal-combustion powerplants. They also optimize the hybrid electrical system, which adds efficiency and an extra boost of power (approximately 161 horsepower for 33 seconds per lap, per FIA regulations) to the already-stout combination when the situation demands.

HYBRID THEORY

Owens is quick to credit the hybrid system for doing its part in achieving such impressive efficiencies. The Energy Recovery System (ERS) consists of two collector systems, which charge batteries and then turn that electrical energy into mechanical energy via an electric motor attached to the engine. One kinetic collector (MGU-K) harnesses energy from the brakes, while the more interesting one – the MGU-H – extracts energy from the exhaust gasses, via the hot side of the engine’s turbocharger.

video-mercedes-amg-formula-1-engines-rea

Instead of the turbine only generating airflow via an impeller, it turns a generator unit that resides between the impeller and turbine that creates electricity, which is stored for later use. Since the amount of energy that is allowed to be “harvested” and used from the turbine-powered MGU-H (as opposed to the tightly regulated harvest and output specs of the MGU-K), making sure the systems are imposing a minimum of restriction on the internal combustion portion of the engine – while maximizing its output – has been an additional area of efficiency improvement for Owens and his team.

The ERS is no magic wand that has allowed the M08 EQ Power+ to just breeze past the halfway point without much effort, as the 50-percent mark represents significant improvements over the first iteration of the hybrid system that came on-scene three years ago. Even more impressive, is the fact that there are no particularly exotic materials used in the engine, according to Owens, and that there are plans to use a version of the M08 EQ Power+ engine in a road car – an exotic prototype known as Project One. However, it should be noted, that the 50-percent efficiency mark has only been achieved in a test cell, not in actual use in a Formula 1 chassis. That will come soon enough.

#79 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 01:31

Ovo ce proci uglavnom nezapazeno, a ustvari se radi o neverovatnom tehnoloskom dostignucu u rangu sa najznacajnijim pronalazcima u ljudskoj istoriji!

#80 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 19:18

Lauda opens up on Rosberg/Hamilton relationship
6:08 AM ET
Laurence Edmondson
F1 Editor

Mercedes chairman Niki Lauda has given some insight into the tense relationship between Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton last season.

The 2016 Formula One world championship was their last as teammates and the first in which Rosberg came out on top, retiring as world champion at the end of the season. The title battle went down to the last lap of the last race, with Hamilton keeping the fight going until the chequered flag by backing his teammate into rival drivers as they ran one-two at the front of the field.

The tension between Rosberg and Hamilton was clear throughout their period as teammates, but in an interview with Graham Bensinger on YouTube, Lauda opened up on the depth of the feud.

"They had no relation, which is always bad," Lauda told Bensinger. "They were so bad that they didn't even say hello in the morning. I don't expect them to have breakfast together if they don't like each other, I don't expect them to sit down and have breakfast, but the relationship was really bad. It affected Lewis mainly and Nico [as well], so it was fine but not easy."

A collision between Hamilton and Rosberg at the 2016 Spanish Grand Prix proved to be a major flashpoint in their relationship. In the immediate aftermath, Mercedes' management summoned both drivers to a meeting in the team's engineering trucks where Lauda made it clear that he thought Hamilton was to blame.

"The big question was whose fault was it?" Lauda said. "For me it was clear because Lewis was too aggressive going to the right, hit the grass, couldn't stop his car and then hit him off.

"I said if I have to choose between the two it's more Lewis' fault than Nico's fault. And Lewis did not appreciate that, because he was of a different opinion. He said, 'Why do you criticize me?' I said, 'Excuse me. I cannot accept that you guys crash and then we have nothing and nobody's fault. For me it has to be somebody's fault.' And then Lewis really got upset. Nico said, 'Yes, it was your part too, you moved to the inside. Why did you not leave room?' He said, 'Why should I, I was doing the race'."

Lauda said he met with Hamilton again in Ibiza to talk through the incident one-on-one, while Mercedes issued a stricter set of rules of engagement to its drivers. Lauda said the rules came with the ultimate threat of a driver being released from his contract if he did not act in the interests of the team.

"We put some regulations in, we told them -- especially in Barcelona when the pushed each other off the track -- we said this was unacceptable for Mercedes and one of you guys has to win [the race] you cannot push each other off.

"We had some rules put in, that you are not allowed to [do that] and you have to pay a penalty if you do it again or we will think of releasing you from your contract, because we are team players here and we cannot destroy each other. This was the thing. Toto came up with some good rules and we had peace again. We fought hard and the accidents got reduced between them."

#81 /13/Ален Шмит/

/13/Ален Шмит/
  • Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 22:53

Čestitke Mercedesu na osvojenoj tituli u konkurenciji konstruktora za sezonu 2017. Šta god se kazalo, Mečka je uradila ono što niko na pravi način nije. Dominacija od VN Australije 2014. pa sve do sada je neprikosnovena. Ferari i RB su doveli do toga da skupljaju mrvice. To je sve za jedan veliki respekt ma koliko ih mrzeli/voleli. Mislim da niko do sada nije uzeo uzastopne titule u prelaznom roku radikalnih pravila. NAKLON DO PODA. 

37155617404_9d3b8e7490_z.jpg

:hail:  :hail:  :hail:  :hail:

#82 /13/Ален Шмит/

/13/Ален Шмит/
  • Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 23:14

Zasluženo slavlje  :thumbs:

37608774360_0d178c02c7_z.jpg

37866098011_037a0aee07_z.jpg

#83 /13/Ален Шмит/

/13/Ален Шмит/
  • Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 21:06

24035334108_53ddfddc48_b.jpg

24035333968_d10c9203fa_z.jpg

#84 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 21:10

Mercedes is considering switching to a high-rake concept with its Formula 1 car in 2018, as it bids to eradicate the 'diva' characteristics of its current machine.

The German car manufacturer has faced a tricky time to fully get on top of the balance of its long-wheelbase W08 throughout this season.

While it has worked brilliantly at some high-speed tracks like Silverstone and Monza, it has struggled at other venues with tighter corners – like Monaco, Hungary and Singapore.

Although some of that performance swing between tracks is explained by the car having a longer wheelbase than its closest rivals, the team thinks that other characteristics may have a bigger part to play in its performance.

One area being evaluated in the final races of the season is whether or not Mercedes should pursue the aero concept put to good use by Red Bull of a high rake car.

It was interesting to note that Mercedes was spotted making major changes to its suspension set-up in Brazil last weekend, which could have been related to trials of the high-rake concept.
Ground effect

By running the front of the car low and the rear high, it is possible to create a form of ground effect through a combination of the front wing sealing the airflow and the diffuser performing better because there is more air flowing underneath it.

Getting the front of the car as low to the ground as possible is a challenge though, because the floor car bottom out around the 'tea-tray' area.

The arrival of titanium skid blocks in 2014 was partly motivated to deter teams from high rake approaches, but Red Bull has since been able to recover ground in this area.

It is understood that Mercedes has begun experiments with higher rake angles now that the championships are won, and it was noticeable that its car was seen sparking in Brazil as it floor touched the ground more than is normal.

#85 /13/Ален Шмит/

/13/Ален Шмит/
  • Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 17:14

37676168195_c7063227b1_b.jpg

38564213491_4560c035d7_b.jpg

#86 alpiner

alpiner
  • Members
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 15:27

In its latest accounts, Mercedes (www.mercedes-benz.co.uk) has revealed that the production of the V6 turbo engines used by its championship-winning F1 team is contributing around £111.7 million to the UK economy. 

Lewis Hamilton steered Mercedes to a fourth consecutive F1 title last year, and although it races under the German flag, both the team and its engine-manufacturing division are based in the UK.

The engines are designed, developed and built at a dedicated factory in ‘Motorsport Valley’ in Northamptonshire, where the engine division alone had total costs of £126.9 million in 2016. 

The accounts state that “the company now employs 571 staff and contributes over 88% of its total expenditure within the UK”. 

The engine division deals with nearly 1,500 UK-based companies, including designers, equipment manufacturers and haulage firms.

The engines power not just the Mercedes team but also the Force India and Williams teams. Leasing fees are received by Mercedes, with parent Daimler providing the remainder of the engine division’s revenue, which fell to £140.4 million last year. 

After paying an £11.4 million tax bill, it was left with a £1.5 million net profit.

The revenue of the F1 team itself increased by 35.7% to £289.4 million, fuelled by a boost in prize money from winning the F1 title the previous year. 

However, its costs rose by 10.7% to £274.9 million, due largely to changes in the F1 regulations. After paying £15.9 million in tax, the team made a £3.8 million net loss.

#87 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 13:31

Toto Wolff says he might be looking to emulate Ferrari's move by more closely aligning with other F1 teams.

The American outfit Haas is already regarded as a kind of Ferrari 'B team', and now the new title sponsor at Ferrari-powered Sauber for 2018 will be Alfa Romeo.

"I think Sergio Marchionne and Maurizio Arrivabene are smart men," Wolff, the Mercedes team boss, is quoted by Turun Sanomat newspaper.

"Already with Haas it offers Ferrari technical benefits, but what is happening with Sauber is even more visionary," he added.

"Such an alliance can be a threat to us," said Wolff, "so we have to think about something similar.

"It's not so easy to do when you do not want to interfere with the functions of your own team, but we need to keep our eyes and ears open because we are always looking for intelligent plans," he added.

Turun Sanomat said Mercedes customers Force India and Williams may be on Mercedes' radar.

Force India boss Vijay Mallya is battling Indian legal authorities, while it is reportedly "no secret" that new mother Claire Williams is thinking about selling team shares.

#88 leone

leone
  • Members
  • 3,630 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 21:06

Toto, izgleda, razradjuje sefove ideje!

Tri Ferrari tima, tri Merc i dva Renault, Mozes, zajedno s Liberty, bi mogao da trazi novi posao od 2021. ukoliko nastavi da se joguni... ;)

Mercedes boss Zetsche on Formula 1 and Ferrari’s Marchionne
Dieter Zetsche tells Autocar his thoughts on Formula 1 and how it can be improved

Mercedes boss Dieter Zetsche has described himself and Ferrari’s Sergio Marchionne as “the good cop and bad cop”, referring to Marchionne’s well-known grumbles on Formula 1.

“We are the good cop and the bad cop. We beat each other like crazy on the track and try to get every tenth of a second of advantage but at the same time we are 100% aligned on our thoughts in Formula 1 and our strategic actions in Formula 1. We are good friends.”

Zetsche confirmed Mercedes was committed to Formula 1 despite the car maker’s ongoing dominance in the championship: “We are there to stay in Formula 1 but of course the platform itself has to stay meaningful and develop positively.”

He said it was not for Mercedes to address its dominance, but instead its competitors. “I have said many times the best outcome would be winning the championship by one point in the last race. Being on the track last half of last season I was not that sure of my statement! 

He continued: “To be clear, we want to be successful and we want the platform to be successful and when one is dominant that doesn’t help. We need stronger competitors and rule changes which give new cars to everybody and to some extent, this last season was that change."

Zetsche also flagged ways in which he thinks Formula 1 should improve, particularly around fan engagement.

“I think it is a pretty good show but there’s potential. I think on the digital side point of side much more can be leveraged. There should be opportunities to engage fans, for example, you could sit in your living rom and try out for a team on your screen, and try to beat the other teams virtually.

He said this is would be one way to attract a younger crowd. He added that it was important to make sure people can still attend races. “It’s not only the highest money that you can squeeze out,” he said.

https://www.autocar....ri’s-marchionne

#89 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 13:21

Toto Wolff has confirmed that Pascal Wehrlein will be a Mercedes "test driver" in 2018.

#90 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 03:00

Mercedes keen not to dumb down 'diva' in new car
Monday, 05 February 2018
Chris Medland / Image by Etherington/LAT

SNE17262.JPG

Toto Wolff says Mercedes has been focusing on retaining some of the aspects of last year's "diva" when developing its 2018 car.

Under new aerodynamic regulations last year, Mercedes produced a quick but unstable car that was not easy to get performance out of on certain circuits. With Wolff having labeled last year's W08 as a "diva", the car still went on to deliver a fourth consecutive championship double and the Mercedes boss says trying to make too many changes for 2018 could have an impact on its stronger points.

"Some of the characters of the diva we like," Wolff said. "The W08 was the fastest car in Formula 1. It scored the most pole positions and it won the most races. You need to be careful not to dumb the things that actually worked on the car, just to remedy the difficulties that the car showed. As a matter of fact, we analyzed it properly and when we go testing in a month's time we will see if the car is a little bit more behaved or not."

With Mercedes having successfully completed the fire-up of this year's W09, Wolff says development has been progressing well ahead of the start of pre-season testing.

"It's never going completely seamlessly or smoothly because as a matter of fact you're trying to push the boundaries, make the car as light as possible, and eventually as quick as possible. So, we've had a good winter I would say. No real drama. But, there's always stress within the organization at that time of the year."

Asked if he lets himself think about the prospect of winning a fifth consecutive championship double – an achievement that would match Ferrari's record from 2000-04 – Wolff replied: "No, because all points go back to zero.

"We are extremely happy and proud of the four double titles but it isn't a guarantee of doing it for the fifth time. So far, the mindset within the organization is to stay humble about our own achievements, but motivated and energized in order to try and win races again and eventually hopefully being in the fight for the title."