Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 17:07

Button_headshot.jpg

BUXTON: The Future's Orange
Friday, 26 May 2017
By Will Buxton / Images by Hone, LePage & Levitt/LAT

Monaco. The jewel in Formula 1's crown. Even as the years have passed and its opulence and glamour have seemingly been tarnished by an increasing number of bars, booming house music and go-go dancers drawing in the "lads on tour" culture, it never loses its sparkle or its wonder. And yet in recent years I've often pined to be elsewhere.

There probably isn't a greater juxtaposition than between the racing Meccas of Monaco and the corner of 16th and Georgetown. And yet, ever since my first visit to the hallowed yard of bricks in 2013, my heart in the month of May has belonged only there.

It's no exaggeration to say that one's first visit to Indy is a nigh on religious experience. It feeds your soul in a way few other sporting venues and spectacles can. For proof, just look at the breadth of Fernando Alonso's smile these past two weeks. It's an awakening, of sorts. It is primal and raw.

That's not to say Monaco isn't just as special. Nowhere on the Formula 1 calendar does one get closer to the action. Nowhere makes you feel for this sport more than this sleepy, gilt-edged fishing village. It is visceral, colorful, noisy and exhilarating. One-hundred mph average speeds on streets. Utterly unique and entirely mad.

_ONZ8960.jpg

It seems somewhat crazy to be sitting here on the eve of the biggest race of Formula 1's season and to be contemplating the competitive prospects of two drivers who retired at the end of last season, while the reigning world champion no longer occupies a seat. And yet that's our reality. And while Felipe Massa is arguably having the season of his Formula 1 life, racing with wanton abandon and genuine joy, I'm not entirely convinced that Jenson Button really wants to be here at all.

It took an awfully long time for McLaren to announce that the 2009 world champion would fill in for Fernando Alonso. One can't imagine Button simply forgot to check his phone for three days. And while there was an attempt to pass the delay off as part of a wider media plan to spread out coverage of the story, I'm not sure anyone buys it. If Button had been as keen as his quotes suggest, there'd have been no reason to delay an announcement. It would have been made at the same time as Alonso's shock Indy deal.

If Jenson's return is a surprise, spare a thought for his official biographer, who was penning the final words of his tome on a glittering Formula 1 career. There will now need to be an extra chapter. One few, even I would suggest Button himself, expected or wanted.

Button_tunnel.jpg

Speaking with him on Thursday, Button said he would only return to racing full time if he could be competitive. He loves his triathalons, he said, but wasn't fool enough to believe he could ever win a professional championship. NASCAR held some allure. Le Mans potentially, too. Rallycross has always held a special place in his heart. But the words "Formula 1" never left his lips.

The final chapter for Button was written in Abu Dhabi last year. "I haven't missed driving in Formula 1," he said.

Much of that could be seen to be reflected in his preparation for this weekend. Sure he spent a long time in the simulator, but there is no comparison between a computer program and the real thing. Yes, sim work will have allowed him to get his eye back in for the tight and twisting confines of the Monte Carlo track, but knowledge of a car only comes from sitting in the thing and wrestling with it. And on Thursday's first day of practice, Button admitted he struggled.

Alonso_smile.jpg

The irony is that McLaren found themselves just a tenth of a second off the pace of world champions Mercedes in practice. With a raft of upgrades on the car, this could be the team's best chance of scoring points thus far in 2017. But would such a feat entice Button to a return? Frankly I doubt it. As the man himself said, he wants to be fighting for championships if and when he steps foot back inside a racing car after this weekend.

The same, of course, is true for the man he has replaced for one weekend. Fernando Alonso has made no secret that he is a free agent for 2017, and has repeatedly said that wherever he races in 2018 he wants to be in a car capable of winning. His options, however, remain limited. Niki Lauda went on the record this week to say that Alonso was not on Mercedes' short list of drivers. For many at Mercedes board level, Alonso's role in the spygate controversy of 2007 still stings. Memories are long in Stuttgart and forgiveness in short supply.

Alain Prost reportedly told Alonso that while Renault would love to have him, they cannot offer him a winning car in 2018. Red Bull isn't interested. And would Ferrari take him back? Sure, much has changed at the team, but a return to Maranello seems pie in the sky at best.

Which leaves just McLaren.

But with talk coming out of both the United States and Woking that McLaren could launch a full assault on IndyCar in 2018, might Alonso's future lie across the pond and in a championship which he is clearly enjoying? Yes, Indianapolis is unique, but that warmth and passion for racing that exists at The Brickyard extends into every paddock on IndyCar's tour.

levitt-0517-ims_45639.jpg

Whatever happens on Sunday, I can't see Alonso walking away from Indy on Sunday night and never returning. Retire from the race early and he'll want another shot. Place well and he'll want to build on it. Win the thing... and do you really think he'd be happy returning to a car that can barely scrape a top 10?

Alonso's career has been blighted by making the worst moves at the wrong time. But in switching his focus to Indy, he might have found a new path, and one he'd never expected to be taking. It might be the single best decision he and his management have ever made.

Fear not, though, McLaren fans. For should Fernando wave goodbye and Button firmly shut down any notion of a return, the team has on its roster some fabulous young talent. Stoffel Vandoorne's skills are currently being hidden by a poor car. By anyone's standards his rookie season in Formula 1 will be hard, but his strength of character will only lead to 2017 forming the backbone of what could be a phenomenal career in the sport. Beyond him there is Nyck de Vries, currently plying his trade in F2, and the mega talented Lando Norris in F3.

Perhaps, as McLaren looks to rebuild its Formula 1 empire from scratch, it will and should fall to the next generation to take that responsibility and for them all to learn and grow together. As McLaren seeks to spread its wings into other forms of racing, perhaps it is with its world champion ambassadors that it will then make the biggest and most immediate impact. Alonso in IndyCar? Button and Alonso together at Le Mans one day?

Who knows.

But under its current management, and with its eyes set on far more than just regaining its place in Formula 1, the future looks incredibly exciting for McLaren.

#407 /13/Ален Шмит/

/13/Ален Шмит/
  • Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 21:56

I bring to you, my dear online friends (except one who i meet outside Serbia), a nice surprise  :s_w: OMG my english is just like McH enginho.. ajnwe.. efjb. sssssssss....     ....

#408 /13/Ален Шмит/

/13/Ален Шмит/
  • Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 18:46

Honda admits the current MGU-H design on its Formula 1 engine is only strong enough to last two races, after suffering more "unacceptable" reliability problems at the Monaco Grand Prix.

Jenson Button qualified ninth in his one-off return to F1 in place of Fernando Alonso in Monte Carlo, but will drop to the back of the grid after collecting a 15-place penalty because Honda decided to change the turbo and MGU-H on his engine after Thursday practice.

Honda is not yet sure of the exact cause of the problem, which its F1 chief Yusuke Hasegawa says relates to the "rotation of the bearing" on the MGU-H.

The MGU-H design was modified for reliability after McLaren-Honda suffered several failures during round three of the championship in Bahrain in April.

Although Honda cannot be sure this latest problem is related, Hasegawa says the behaviour of the component is similar, which shows the design is still not robust enough to last more than two grands prix.

"Every two races we need to change – that is not acceptable," gjMFHZ5.gif  Hasegawa told Motorsport.com. "We think we need to have more modifications for robustness, with the rotating parts especially.

"Currently we are controlling some temperatures or behaviour. We can manage the reliability. This time it did OK [mileage wise], but still we are having some issues for reliability."

Knowing that a grid penalty in this race would spell disaster for McLaren's prospects of scoring points at the circuit where it stands its best chance yet in 2017, Honda was initially reluctant to change engine parts.

But after discussing the situation "very carefully" with McLaren, Honda decided it was "too risky" to attempt to make the original component last the distance.

"After running FP2 we normally check every rotation part – engine, MGU-H – and we saw the MGU-H rotating a little bit odd for a normal situation," Hasegawa explained.

"It's not completely strange, but the mechanics felt some friction. When we have a complete MGU-H failure, the MGU-H turbine is completely stuck. Seized. This time there is not such a problem, but the mechanics could feel some resistance.

"We discussed things with the Japanese side and we decide to change on Friday morning. That is a 100,000rpm part, and if we feel something strange, it never lasts. It had some chance, but it's not worth it."

#409 /13/Ален Шмит/

/13/Ален Шмит/
  • Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 22:21

LVAMdnT.jpg

Ja.... ja.... više ne znam šta da kažem....

Osim, vratićemo se mi!!! U Kanadi osvajamo bodove!!! rVwOYoT.gif 5sI2Uuf.gif

Edit:

Zečja šapa nije dovoljna, ha! Ja sam celog zeca akrilizovao u nadi za srećom!!!

Pa3yDg0l.jpg

Edited by /13/Ален Шмит/, 28 May 2017 - 22:25.

#410 djura.net

djura.net
  • Members
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:21

Nekako mi ovaj fandorn izgledao neubedljivo, bez obzira na solidan rezultat u kvalifikacijama i 10. mesto kroz 2/3 trke. Bas ga je perez odradio na foru, onako, iskolovao za sve pare.
Jel javljaju ovi iz honde hoce li taj canadian update da bude canadian ili hungarian?

#411 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:19

Javljaju da nisu nikada tacno obecali kada ce biti veliki apdejt pa tako da ako ne bude za Kanadu nisu prekrsili obecanje, i da su zadovoljni sa svojim malim apdejtima koje su do sada doneli na svaku trku i koje planiraju da nastave da donose.

(Najebali smo u Kanadi, ovo juce je bilo cisto na sasiju, u Kanadi moras da imas motor!)

#412 djura.net

djura.net
  • Members
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 13:16

tjah, u monaku dva odustajanja, to nam se smesi i u kanadi.

#413 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 15:19

tjah, u monaku dva odustajanja, to nam se smesi i u kanadi.

Oba odustajanja u Monaku su rezultat udesa, koliko god ja voleo da okrivim Hondu i za ovo - ne mogu. Jedino za cega mogu da ih krivim je Batonov start sa zacelja zbog jos jedne izmene komponenti motora.

Honda je nedavno priznala da njen MGU/H i MGU/K moze maksimalno da izdrzi dve trke, i to ako imaju srece. A trebalo bi da izdrzi 5. Tako da ce verovatno i u Kanadi biti kazni.

Ono sto ce biti najveci problem ovde su dugi pravci. Meklarenova sasija je dobra u krivinama, ali na pravcima ce nas obilaziti kao da stojimo. A Baku ce da bude totalna katastrofa.

#414 Arnold Schwarzenegger

Arnold Schwarzenegger
  • Members
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 15:33

Koja tuga od tima :rotflmao:

Kad Alonso ode mogu zakljucati fabriku.

#415 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 18:26

https://joesaward.wo...aison-de-kyoto/

The other rumbling concern is the McLaren-Honda relationship with a major meeting taking place on the Friday. Everyone is being very tight-lipped about the outcome of these discussions. The word is that the Japanese are still not keen on getting help from their rivals (which is the fastest way to solve the problem) and want to continue to go through pain until it all comes right. This is the kind of philosophy that Mr Honda employed in building the company. He didn’t want his engineers to be frightened to innovate, but the problem with the F1 programme is that the company does not appear to be learning from its mistakes. McLaren cannot afford to strap itself to a rocket that is not flying. It has hung in with Honda for two and a half years of pain. In 2015 the partnership was ninth in the Constructors’ Championship. In 2016 it was sixth. This year, six races into the season, the team is 10th and last, the only team not to score a point. One can understand the frustration because McLaren is now beginning to get into a place where staff will start to leave because their input cannot overcome Honda’s problems. Holding on to good people is the toughest task in F1 and it is clear that McLaren is worried that more years of struggle will weaken the team, will make it less attractive to sponsors, and will damage its reputation. If the relationship is going to break down, Honda at least has a parachute in the form of Sauber, while McLaren could become a Mercedes customer for next year. The team might not win races, but the results would likely be better. Decisions are needed soon to avoid compromising the 2018 programmes.

#416 alberto.ascari

alberto.ascari
  • Members
  • 28,756 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 21:06

Znači, Williamsizacija McLarena, a Sauber uzima obe titule za tri godine. :lol+:

#417 /13/Ален Шмит/

/13/Ален Шмит/
  • Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 21:52

Ma 2017 je nova 2015, RA618H će ispraviti greške RA617H na isti način kao RA616H s RA615H a još uz Zauber i ukupno 4 bolida mogla bi 2018 biti jaka za Hondu. Malo sam izpizdeo na početku ali sad sam pun optimizma, akrilizovani zec pomaže 5sI2Uuf.gif

#418 /13/Ален Шмит/

/13/Ален Шмит/
  • Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 14:03

Na današnji dan poginuo je Brus Meklaren i Meklaren je odao počast s minutom buke M8D KanAm prototipa

#419 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 14:21

Bas sam gledao uzivo na FB. :)

Ovo je pravi Meklaren, a ne ova tuga sto je sada voze u F1...

#420 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 14:29

Motor racing legend Mario Andretti says Fernando Alonso is "wasting" his time at McLaren-Honda.

Last weekend, the Spaniard skipped Monaco in order to tackle the fabled Indy 500 with the team run by Andretti's son and former McLaren driver Michael.

But Alonso, 35, will be back in his McLaren-Honda in Canada, even though 1978 world champion Andretti has advised him to consider a full-time Indycar foray.

"The only thing that keeps a driver happy is to be competitive," the 77-year-old is quoted by Spain's Marca.

"Anything else is total frustration. He is in the best phase of his career and wasting his time. McLaren obviously feels the same pain because it's a team that only knows how to be with the best."

And so Andretti does think there are better times ahead for both McLaren and Alonso.

"It can only go better for him," he said. "It looks like they have a (good) chassis, and the situation with the engine will improve. I'm sure he'll be in the points before the season is over."

He also said Alonso was right to have sat out Monaco in order to try to win at Indianapolis, even though it was a familiar Honda engine failure that let him down.

"I guarantee that his value has gone up," said Andretti, "and he deserves the respect he gets. There were no losers here, except for the engine."