Josef Newgarden 2016 Indy 500 full race onboard

Tony Kanaan 2016 Indy 500 full race onboard

James Hinchcliffe 2016 Indy 500 full race onboard

#617 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 20:27

Alexander Rossi says that receiving his own replica of the Borg Warner Trophy will give him a chance to personally reflect on his surprise victory in last year's Indianapolis 500.

Rossi, along with team owners Michael Andretti and Bryan Herta, were awarded their 18-inch replicas of the trophy at the Automotive News World Congress Dinner at the Renaissance Center in Detroit on Wednesday evening, capping off the last major formality following their win in the 100th Running last May.

"[Sculptor] William Behrends did a fantastic job [with the portrait]," Rossi told RACER.com.

"But I don't care what it looks like; it's just amazing to be able to have it, and to be alongside some of the greatest drivers in racing. No matter what happens that will always be the case, and that won't change.

"Seeing my likeness for the first time was special, but that was more than a month ago now. This moment feels a little more personal, because it's actually the trophy that the guy gets to take home, and I can kind of enjoy it in my own space and my own time.

"The win probably started to sink in around August or so. It was difficult to appreciate immediately after the race because we went straight to Detroit, and then Texas was delayed, and you just kind of carried on with your season. But once there was a little bit of a gap between races, that's when you started to realize what you'd done. It came in waves, the appreciation, and now it's just about enjoying the positive things that go along with it."

For Andretti, the 2016 trophy joins the three he previously won as a team owner with Dan Wheldon (2005), Dario Franchitti (2007) and Ryan Hunter-Reay (2014).

"Each one is different in its own way, especially with us because we've had four different winners," he said.

"That's really awesome, because we've been able to celebrate with four different drivers. But I think what made this one really special is, number one, Alex being a rookie, and then winning the 100th Running of this race, and finishing 1-2, and having the month that we did. And then being able to celebrate with a really good friend of mine, Bryan – with the way this whole thing came together, to be able to now have a day like today and be able to share this moment is what makes this one different."

For Herta, the success came in the first year of his team's merger with Andretti Autosport, and joins the Indy win he enjoyed as a team owner with Wheldon in 2011.

"The two wins are clearly different," he said. "Although they were both really dramatic. I wouldn't change this for anything. I love the story of the success, even going back to the start of the year when we began cooperating with Michael, and then the way we won the race and everything that went into it – I wouldn't change any part of it."

levitt-baby_borg_00284.jpg