Photo
- - - - -

Haas F1 Team

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
104 replies to this topic

#1 alpiner

alpiner
  • Members
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 14:38

Haas seeks tech alliance with F1 team

Gene Haas now wants a technical partnership with a current Formula 1 manufacturer to get his new team on the 2016 grid, having decided against plans to use Dallara chassis.

'Customer car' rules will be relaxed from 2015 to allow teams to buy more parts from other outfits - a new opportunity Haas intends to make the most of.

Rather than the original idea of using racing car constructor Dallara to build his first F1 challenger, Haas wants to buy engines and as much of a car as his team can from another squad.

"We are trying to nail down a technology partner," Haas told AUTOSPORT. "We've spent a lot of time with Ferrari, and talked a little bit with Mercedes. Engine supplier is only half the equation here, and we're still working on that."

Haas said that the Dallara option would have been pursued if he had chosen to enter F1 next year, but he reckons his own company has the ability to build a car itself for 2016 if it can purchase as many other parts as possible off another outfit.

"If we were going to race in 2015 we would have had to have done that package," said Haas about Dallara.

"We have 50 per cent of what we need to start building our own cars, and the ultimate goal is to do that, and that's the way we are going to go.

"But that list of parts we can buy, as it increases, we want to be the team that takes advantage of that rule and try to buy as much as we can. It just costs too much to make all these intricate little detailed parts."

Team principal Gunther Steiner added: "We will pick up from our technical partner the suspension and all those parts because appendix 6 [listed parts that teams must make themselves] is changing next year.

"We will take on making the remaining stuff ourselves, like the chassis.

"If it had been 2015 then we wouldn't have had the time to do it, so now with a little more time we can do that ourselves without going to an outside supplier.

"With the list expanding, that is how we want to act, so therefore the negotiations are a little longer with technical partners because nobody has done that yet."

NO DEAL YET

Haas is understood to be in most advanced talks with Ferrari regarding a technical partnership, having spent most of his visit to the Canadian Grand Prix with the Maranello-based team.

But he says until a deal is agreed then nothing is guaranteed.

"Until we have a signed contract, it's open," he said.

When asked when he hoped to have sorted a deal, Haas said: "I would hope we could do that in the next few weeks.

"Even though we are not racing until 2016, a year is going to go by pretty quick. So it's important to have a relationship with somebody we can get started with."

https://uk.eurosport...803020--f1.html

Edited by alpiner, 11 June 2014 - 14:39.

#2 alpiner

alpiner
  • Members
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 14:44

US driver would be ideal - Haas

The new Haas Formula 1 team wants an American driver alongside an experienced number one - but only if it can find someone who will not embarrass the sport.

While currently focused on securing a technical partnership with an F1 manufacturer, Haas wants to soon get working on the driver line-up for its 2016 grand prix debut.

Although team owner Gene Haas admits that the perfect line-up would include an American driver, he says that a final decision must be based more on talent than nationality.

"Seat number one is going to obviously be taken by an existing F1 driver that has experience with the current engine package and chassis," he told AUTOSPORT. "And then position two is open.

"It would be great if we could put [an American] in there - it would just be the home run: an American team with an American driver in a European series. That would be phenomenal.

"But we're very flexible on that. Realistically, the number one thing is to make sure we don't embarrass the sport, we arrive prepared and ready to race.

"We don't want to run around at the back forever. We want to be able to start these races and improve every race we go to."

Haas says the experience of Caterham and Marussia, which have struggled to move off the back of the grid in their first four years, shows how tough grand prix racing can be.

"That's why we've delayed it by a year because we think we can better spend the time putting together a team of people than just throwing people at it," he said.

"That's what happens when you get time constraints. Once you hire the wrong people it can sometimes take longer to get rid of them than to hire a competent person if you take the time to hire that person, so that's where we're at now.

"We're going to take our time over the next three to six months making sure the people we hire have the ability to do what we want to get done."

AMERICAN OPTIONS FOR HAAS

Haas expressing hopes of signing an American driver prompted media speculation that Danica Patrick - who drives for the NASCAR Sprint Cup team Haas co-owns with Tony Stewart - could be given an F1 chance.

In fact, when Haas was asked about his driver plans by AUTOSPORT, he replied in a half-joking manner: "We're looking for an American woman driver!"

But while Patrick cannot be ruled out totally - although she would be 34 by the time Haas is on the grid - it is more likely that the team would consider younger Americans with more relevant European experience.

The only American currently involved in F1 is Caterham test driver Alexander Rossi (pictured), who is part of the team's Friday roster and recently took part in practice at the Canadian Grand Prix.

Rossi also races on the grand prix support bill in GP2, where his rivals include compatriot Conor Daly.

https://uk.eurosport...452006--f1.html

Edited by alpiner, 11 June 2014 - 14:44.

#3 Duh sa sekirom

Duh sa sekirom
  • Members
  • 966 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 14:45

E, dobro si ovo uradio Alp. Da znaš da sam se mislio svaki put kada zakačim ili pročitam neku vest o Hasu u F1 news kako bi smo možda trebali da otvorimo temu za njih da sve vesti budu tu, ali nikako da to i uradim. Svaka čast...

#4 alpiner

alpiner
  • Members
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 14:55

Hvala majstore! Meni je jako interesantno ovo stvaranje novog tima, pogotovo što su sa drugog kontinenta.

Šteta je da se vesti o njima gube po raznim topicima

#5 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 15:44

S obzirom da Has ima veze sa Andretijem, ja bih na njegovom mestu pokusao ovog klinca da ubacim u F1:

http://en.wikipedia....Matthew_Brabham

#6 alpiner

alpiner
  • Members
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:04

American F1 team to create 250 jobs in the UK

Gene Haas says his Haas Formula team will be based in the UK's 'Motorsport Valley'

American businessman Gene Haas has revealed that he is planning to create around 250 jobs in the UK by locating his new Formula One team in the country.

Mr Haas is launching an F1 team as a marketing vehicle for Haas Automation, the machine-tool-manufacturer that he founded in 1983. He hopes the team, which will launch in 2016, will boost the company’s exposure and revenue, which came to $1bn last year.

Mr Haas said: “I think initially we are going to be hiring around 200, maybe a little bit more than that at 250.” He added that he was planning to locate the team in the UK because eight of the 11 outfits are here, in a cluster in central England known as Motorsport Valley.

It will also have a factory in North Carolina, alongside the championship-winning Stewart-Haas team, which is co-owned by Mr Haas and races in America’s Nascar series.

“We really are going to be an American team. We are going to be different,” he said. “There is no doubt about it in my mind because this is how we do things.

“We are going to learn what Formula One is all about but I think we have got American smarts as far as racing and we are going to apply that to Formula One in our own way.”

Mr Haas said it would have been quicker to become a sponsor or to acquire a team, but this would involve re-branding it rather than creating an outfit.

He has hired Guenther Steiner, a former technical director of four-time F1 champions Red Bull Racing, to run his team, to be known as Haas Formula.

“Ownership is really the only way to enter the sport in a practical fashion for my company,” he says. “I think as a sponsor we would lose a lot of marketing pride… Quite frankly, I could have spent $100m in advertising and I don’t think I would get as much bang for the buck as I would in Formula One.”

In April, F1’s chief executive Bernie Ecclestone said that a new team owner would need to invest $1bn over four years but Mr Haas is confident of a return.

He said: “If we can associate Haas Automation with Formula One, it becomes a premium brand and a premium brand is the Holy Grail of marketing.”

http://www.telegraph...-in-the-UK.html

Edited by alpiner, 16 June 2014 - 10:05.

#7 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 16:03

Danica Patrick has refused to rule out entering formula one in 2016.

Gene Haas, F1's newest team owner, has said the world's most famous female racer "would be the dream driver" for his new foray.

He admitted, however, that the fact Nascar driver and American Patrick will be 34 by 2016 could be an issue.

"The question was about the dream driver!" Haas - who already runs Patrick in his Nascar team Stewart-Haas - told F1's official website.

"But she surely fits the bill."

Patrick told the Toronto Sun: "I agree that anything is possible, but nobody has said anything to me. I am happy where I am at right now as far as racing goes.

"I am just starting to get the hang of (Nascar) sprint cup racing.

"Out of respect for Gene, if he came to me I would certainly listen, but I am almost getting too old to start a third career," she added.

Pa znas, i meni da predlozi da vozim F1 i ja bi ga saslusao, samo sto sam i ja eto malo mator i (mnogo) debeo :P

#8 alpiner

alpiner
  • Members
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:14

Haas eyes ‘pay driver’ for 2016 seat

An alternative to Danica Patrick is a ‘pay driver’, F1′s newest team owner Gene Haas has admitted.

Earlier, American Haas said the world’s most famous female driver, who already races for his Nascar team, “would be the dream driver” for his 2016 outfit.

However, 32-year-old Patrick said this week that she is “happy where I am”.

At the same time, there are rumblings that Haas, 61, and his new team principal Gunther Steiner are having fundamental disagreements about the project.

Steiner, for instance, is said to be opposed to involving Patrick.

“This is just the latest divergence that every day becomes more pronounced,” said Omnicorse correspondent Franco Nugnes, claiming the disagreements could lead to Steiner’s departure from Haas.

In the end, the team may opt for the more traditional ‘middle of the grid’ F1 model, featuring an experienced name alongside a so-called ‘pay driver’.

Haas told F1 business journalist Christian Sylt: “Having an American driver would be one of those ‘knock it out the ballpark’-type moments.

“I think initially what we really would like is probably a veteran formula one driver, preferably someone who has driven the 2014 car, to help us.

“Then the remaining seat would go to someone who has a lot of promise, that could be an American, or someone else that brings some sponsorship money to the table too,” he added.

http://www.inautonew...at#.U5_qNtTQihI

Edited by alpiner, 17 June 2014 - 08:14.

#9 Wingman

Wingman
  • Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 20:42

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/114779

Haas strengthens Ferrari ties with Formula 1 team sponsorship deal By Jonathan Noble Thursday, July 3rd 2014, 14:53 GMT

1404399435.jpg

Gene Haas has edged closer a technical partnership with Ferrari for his team's Formula 1 debut in 2016, after announcing his company will be sponsoring the Italian team.

Ferrari revealed ahead of the British Grand Prix that Haas Automation, the largest CNC machine tool builder in North America, will sponsor the Maranello-based outfit for the remainder of this season and 2015.

And although the deal does not guarantee there will be a formal tie-up between Haas and Ferrari for 2016 - with the American squad keen for as big a technical partnershipas the rules allow - the news does suggest that talks are progressing well.

Ferrari team boss Marco Mattiacci said: "Over the past few months, we have been exploring with Haas a number of potential areas of collaboration, and this agreement is an immediate opportunity that we are pursuing, which proves Haas' interest in Formula 1.

"Haas is committed to entering Formula 1 with its own team, a testimony to the growing appeal of our sport in the USA and on this front, technical discussions are ongoing between us."

Gene Haas added: "Haas Automation is a premium brand, and there's no better way to drive that point home than to connect it with Scuderia Ferrari on motor racing's biggest stage."

#10 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 18:42

The plans of F1's newest team are marching on.

Although it will only debut in 2016, the American outfit Haas Formula has announced a name tweak.

The team is now called Haas F1 Team, with the name-change decision made by founder and chairman Gene Haas "to better correlate his team with motor racing's most prestigious series".

Haas, who also co-owns a leading Nascar team with Tony Stewart, has also this week launched an official website for the F1 team and social media pages.

Explaining the name-change, Haas - whose company Haas Automation already sponsors Ferrari - said: "When you hear 'F1' you know exactly what it is -- a global racing series that showcases the latest technology and attracts the best talent in engineering and design."

The press release issued on Tuesday said construction of a F1 headquarters adjacent to the Nascar factory in Kannapolis, North Carolina is "scheduled to be completed in November".

Haas told Forbes recently that his interest in F1 was piqued when officials of the USF1 project approached him to get involved in the ultimately stillborn team.

"I started watching the races more out of curiosity about it," he told the F1 business journalist Christian Sylt.

"I was kind of amazed that there weren't more people trying to do it. There are so many super rich people in America I kind of thought 'why haven't any other Americans done this?'"

The next step for Haas is to announce a European base for the team, probably in England.

He said: "We are not going to be swayed by any smooth talking about dreams. This is a tough business and we know what we have got to do.

"There is a tremendous amount that we need to learn from this whole sport because we are pretty novice at it."

Ferrari on Wednesday announced it will supply a V6 'power unit' to F1's new American entrant Haas in 2016.

Nascar team co-owner Gene Haas' machine tool company Haas Automation is already a sponsor of the fabled Maranello based team.

"We're delighted to announce this important strategic partnership with Haas F1 Team and to welcome an American player as a new entrant in formula one," said team boss Marco Mattiacci in a media statement.

Ferrari's other customers in F1 are Sauber and Marussia, who according to Mattiacci at Spa-Francorchamps two weeks ago are behind in their 2014 payments.

He said on Wednesday: "While our objective is to reinforce our power unit development programme for all our customer teams, we believe this new partnership (with Haas) has the potential to evolve beyond the traditional role of supplying our power unit and all related technical services.

"United States continues to be one of the most important markets for Ferrari and it offers many interesting opportunities," added Mattiacci.

#11 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:58

The extent of new 2016 entrant Haas' tie-up with Ferrari is becoming clearer.

Earlier in 2014, the 'Haas' logos of Nascar team owner Gene Haas' successful machine tool company were added to the race livery of Ferrari's F14-T car.

And last week it was confirmed that Haas' North Carolina based F1 team, set to enter the sport the year after next, will link up with Ferrari for the supply of turbo V6 engines.

But as Ferrari boss Marco Mattiacci said in last week's announcement, the partnership with Haas "has the potential to evolve beyond the traditional role of supplying our power unit and all related technical services".

In the press, it is suggested Ferrari sees Haas as a sort of potential 'B team'.

Gene Haas told NCBSN: "We're going to try to get as many parts as allowed by the FIA.

"It's going to be suspension, it's going to be I think wheels and chassis parts and transmission, engine. Everything down to even the steering modes.

"One of the prior Concorde Agreements was that the big teams could help the smaller teams, so we hope to get a lot of help from Ferrari to tell us what direction to go in," said Haas.

Haas said the team still also intends to work with Dallara. "Our goal at least initially is to try to rent, buy, whatever we can to go racing because that's what we're here for," he revealed.

Another point of interest surrounding the Haas team is the eventual identity of the drivers.

Americans Alexander Rossi and Danica Patrick have already been linked with the cockpits, although the Ferrari tie-up would also seem to open the door to the Italian marque's 'academy' juniors.

Haas said one of his Nascar drivers, 36-year-old Kurt Busch, is also interested.

"Everybody I talk to is interested," he said.

"I was talking to Kurt Busch last week. He was interested. He said if he wins the Nascar championship, could he have a ride in one. I said 'for sure' if he wins the championship," smiled Haas.

#12 alpiner

alpiner
  • Members
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 16:07

The first Haas F1 team

8549993458_7b84198f49_z.jpg

Race fans in America hope Gene Haas’s Formula 1 team will prove a worthy competitor, but many people forget that another Haas F1 team operated for two seasons almost 30 years ago. This was Carl Haas’s Beatrice F1 team that featured cars designed by Neil Oatley, Ross Brawn and Adrian Newey, a new generation Ford/Cosworth turbo engine and former world champion Alan Jones and two-time Can-Am champ Patrick Tambay. The team raced in 1985 and ’86.

The key element in the creation and destruction of the team was Beatrice, a giant holding company that had acquired a wide range of businesses from food suppliers to rental car agencies. Carl Haas and Beatrice’s boss Jim Dutt reached an agreement for Beatrice to sponsor not only Newman/Haas Racing’s Indycar team but also an F1 team. It was a five-year contract for around $80 million per year, an unprecedented deal for Haas or American motor racing at the time.

Haas hired ex-McLaren men Teddy Mayer and Tyler Alexander to run the team and with Beatrice’s full support he established Team Haas USA to administrate the F1 team. Haas also created a company called FORCE (Formula One Race Car Engineering), based in Colnbrook near London’s Heathrow Airport, to build and race the cars. FORCE was run by Mayer, Alexander and Phil Kerr with Haas as chairman of the board.

The design staff for the Haas F1 car was led by Neil Oatley, who had come from Williams, and included John Baldwin from March and a young fellow named Ross Brawn who would go on to become one of F1’s most successful chief engineers with Benetton and then Ferrari before winning the 2009 title in his debut as a team owner. “We had some great people,” Haas says. “No question about it. In fact, we had a lot of good people.”

Haas’s F1 car was built by FORCE to the design team’s specifications and called a Lola THL1. Meanwhile, Jim Dutt was friendly with the top people at Ford and he convinced Ford to bankroll a new turbocharged V6 F1 engine to be designed and built by Cosworth and raced exclusively by Haas’s new team.

However, it took a year before the new engine was ready to race and for the 1985 season Haas turned to independent engine builder Brian Hart who had vast experience with F2 cars and engines. Hart produced a screaming little turbocharged four-cylinder based on a stretched F2 unit, but it was no match for the Renault and Ferrari V6 turbos of the time.

The new team ran only four races in 1985 with a single car for Alan Jones, who had won the Can-Am championship for Haas in 1978 and the world championship with Frank Williams’ team in 1980. Jones had retired after the 1981 season but was lured back by Haas. When he arrived in Europe however, Jones was disappointed to discover the stopgap Hart engine was not only underpowered but unreliable, too. He failed to finish all three races he started in 1985.

“I wasn’t impressed with the engines at all,” Jones declares. “We started with an interim Hart engine which I used to call a hand grenade because it was never a matter of, ‘Will it blow up?’ It was, ‘When will it blow?’ It was basically a two-litre F2 engine that had been stretched out to do an F1 job and it was just too highly strung.”

A second Beatrice F1 car was run in 1986 for Patrick Tambay, Can-Am champion with Haas’s team in 1977 and ‘80. Tambay had driven for Theodore and Ligier in F1 in 1981, then Ferrari in 1982 and ‘83 and Renault in 1984 and ‘85. Tambay believes the Beatrice team had all the elements to succeed.

“I think it was an excellent chassis,” Tambay says. “We had the Hart engine to start with, which was a little bit underpowered compared to the experienced F1 turbocharged opposition. Then we had the Ford engine that was making its maiden arrival in F1. We had a three-year program with Beatrice and it would have taken all that to make sure the operation was right.

“As we know from experience, it takes a lot longer than that to create a Formula 1 team that is up to speed. With a brand new turbocharged engine and new technology it was a very steep learning curve to achieve, but the operation was outstanding.

“Everything was in place. We had the facilities and expertise with Teddy Mayer and all the guys he had around him. Carl, Teddy Mayer and Tyler Alexander put together a great lineup. We had Neil Oatley, Ross Brawn and Adrian Newey among the engineers. My God! It was dream team.”

Jones didn’t share Tambay’s optimism. “There was always the promise of that wonderful new Ford engine that was coming,” Jones remarks. “It was a beautifully-built little engine, like a piece of clockwork. But it was just gutless. It didn’t do the job.”

Tyler Alexander believes the required effort never went into the Ford turbo primarily because Cosworth founder Keith Duckworth had long been a vocal opponent of turbocharging and had no enthusiasm for the project.

“The engine came very late, much later than it should have been and was promised,” Alexander says. “There were some things going on at Cosworth that in my view weren’t particularly kosher. There was a feeling at the time that Duckworth hated turbo engines. He made it pretty public and I think because of that he wasn’t pushing it.

“Cosworth designed and put this engine together, but I think if Duckworth was really behind it he would have got it done. The Ford thing was disappointing and the people were disappointing.”

HAA_007.jpg

The team’s best race was the Austrian GP at the Ӧsterreichring in August where Jones and Tambay finished fourth and fifth, two laps behind winner Alain Prost’s McLaren-TAG. Jones also earned points at the Italian GP where he finished sixth, two laps behind winner Nelson Piquet’s Williams-Honda.

Haas planned to escalate his F1 team to a new level in 1987. He hired a talented young engineer named Adrian Newey to design a new car. Newey started work designing a new Beatrice F1 car for ’87 but everything changed when Beatrice was taken over by Kohlberg-Kravis-Roberts in one of the first leveraged buyouts. At the same time Ford decided it wanted to pull out of Haas’s team and move to the new Benetton operation. Suddenly, the Beatrice-Ford marriage came to an end.

Design work on Newey’s new car was seriously underway when the team learned it no longer existed. “The car was starting to advance through its design stages and the crew had left for the season’s last race,” Newey recalls. “It was announced on the Sunday of that race weekend that the plug was being pulled. Ford decided they wanted to go with Benetton rather than stay with Carl and the Beatrice sponsorship was disappearing. So it all fell apart.”

A sad postscript to the Beatrice episode came many years later. Following the trauma of the Beatrice takeover Jim Dutt struggled with increasingly failing health and ultimately committed suicide.

Meanwhile the unhappy situation resulted in a very profitable flipside for Haas because he was able to work out handsome settlements with both Beatrice and Ford. The settlements helped pay for a brand new 32,000 square foot building Haas purchased in an industrial park in Lincolnshire, Illinois, barely 15 minutes west of his home in Highland Park and just 20 minutes north of Chicago’s O’Hare Airport.

For the next 20 years Newman/Haas Racing operated out of Lincolnshire, concentrating on Haas’s first love, Indycar racing. The team went on to win 107 CART or Champ Car races and eight championships before Paul Newman’s death in 2008 and Haas’s recent ill health resulted in the team’s demise three years ago.

http://www.motorspor...-haas-f1-team/?

#13 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 15:24

Gene Haas, F1's newest team owner, has admitted to keeping a sharp eye on the turmoil at Maranello.

This year, after securing a place on the 2016 grid, Nascar co-owner Haas agreed a deal with Ferrari to receive customer engines and "all related technical services".

Haas Automation, Haas' leading machine tool company, also became an on-car sponsor of the fabled Italian team.

But since the agreements were made, it has been all change at Ferrari as the marque reacted to its poor start to the all-new 'power unit' era.

President Luca di Montezemolo and team boss Marco Mattiacci, for example, have gone, which may be a concern to Haas.

"That's a good point," Haas admitted to Sports Business Daily.

"I don't know. I think that the higher-ups know what they're doing. I hope we didn't have any influence over them losing their jobs."

The interviewer, Leigh Diffey, admitted that over lunch Haas confessed that "whoever I spoke to (at Ferrari) got fired. I better stop speaking to people."

Haas commented: "There's a lot of pressure on Ferrari. Ferrari is obviously a marquee car builder, and formula one is their marquee racing series. And they want to win.

"There's just a lot of pressure there. I have to respect that."

There is also big pressure on Haas, who are building a modest team from scratch and intending to be the only competitor without its main headquarters in Europe.

And Haas' building phase also coincides with a period of great turmoil in formula one, with backmarkers Marussia and Caterham going out of business and other small teams struggling for survival.

"There are a lot of pitfalls in formula one," he admitted.

"We've seen a lot of teams have a lot of problems. There are money issues.

"There's a lot of rancour in the troops out there as far as what we're hearing. I look at it as a challenge. I've been to some formula one races. I've met the people. I like them. They're good people."

But Haas also admitted that the task of building a car, even for 2016, is almost "overwhelming".

"If you get it wrong," he said, "it's a disaster."

#14 Rad-oh-yeah?

Rad-oh-yeah?
  • Members
  • 21,862 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 16:01

Gene Haas has a close eye on Marussia as the backmarker team's collapse is completed over the next few days.

On Tuesday, the assets of the failed Banbury-based team will begin to be sold at auction, and Haas - whose own team will debut in 2016 - could be a significant bidder.

"We have got the Marussia auction list so I think we will be bidders for some of that stuff," the Nascar team co-owner told F1 business journalist Christian Sylt.

On Marussia's list are items including full cars, steering wheels and bodywork but also factory furniture, computers, spare parts, pit equipment and transporters.

Haas said he is determined that his F1 outfit, to be based alongside the Stewart-Haas Nascar team in North Carolina, will not make the same mistakes as Marussia and Caterham.

His approach will see the cars designed in America, with a satellite headquarters for the race team somewhere in England.

"A lot of the teams in the UK build everything themselves," Haas told the Guardian. "They seem to have this English mentality that this is the way it has to be done and that is just not our business model at all."

As for the intended UK base, he added: "We looked at a place in Abingdon (Oxfordshire) and there are several available in that area. I guess it might be a possibility to take a look at the Marussia HQ too."

#15 alpiner

alpiner
  • Members
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 22:26

Haas F1 acquires Marussia factory

Gene Haas' foray into Formula One continues with the purchase of Marussia's Banbury factory.

According to Racecar Engineering, Gene Haas recently noted he was interested in participating in the Marussia F1 auction, which saw many of the crumbling team's assets sold off to the highest bidders. However, their Banbury factory was not part of the aforementioned auction.

Gene Haas has bought the facility and will use it as his European base with the team's headquarters being developed in North Carolina. With Ferrari power, Haas F1 will join the grid in 2016 with a TBD driver lineup.

The report also added that it is believed Haas also has access to data and designs for Marussia's planned 2015 car.

http://www.motorspor...ussia-factory/?