Photo
- - - - -

Moto GP 2009

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
455 replies to this topic

#166 memento

memento
  • Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:09

Decision On MotoGP Engine Leasing Expected At Indianapolis GP
Submitted by David Emmett on Fri, 2009-07-24 17:52.

The radical drop in the size of the MotoGP grid has everyone inside MotoGP worried. First Kawasaki officially withdrew, leaving only Marco Melandri on the Hayate in the class, then Grupo Francisco Hernando pulled out of sponsoring Sete Gibernau's GFH team, dropping the number of entries from 18 to 17. Add to that the shenanigans surrounding Yuki Takahashi's replacement by Gabor Talmacsi, after Talmacsi was able to bring funds to the cash-strapped team, and the picture of a series in crisis is complete.

Clearly something has to be done, to reduce costs and to expand the number of bikes on the grid. Last week at the Sachsenring, the Grand Prix Commission met to discuss the situation, and Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta launched the idea of a two-tier system, allowing bikes with prototype chassis with engines based on production bikes to race against the current generation of fully factory supported prototype 800s. The story was unearthed by Paolo Scalera of the Italian sports daily Corriere dello Sport, and senior MotoGP journalist Michael Scott in last week's issue of GPWeek opined that the move was probably a bullying tactic by Ezpeleta, aimed at forcing the factories into coming up with a counterproposal.

It seems the thought of racing against production-based engines has done exactly that. At Donington, Tech 3 boss and head of IRTA Herve Poncharal spoke extensively to MotoGPMatters.com, covering a wide range of subjects. One of the subjects he discussed at length was the cost-cutting proposals put forward by the MSMA to counter the exodus of teams from the premier class. He revealed that as Mike Scott had predicted, the MSMA had offered to lease engines only to MotoGP teams at a much more affordable price, allowing them to build their own prototype chassis around the engine.

Poncharal confirmed that Ezpeleta had launched the idea of using production engines at the Grand Prix Commission in Germany, saying, "Carmelo proposed [the idea]. Because of the Moto2 class, because it was a big success, then we were thinking 'what can we do to make it cheaper in the MotoGP class' and we thought 'OK, why can't we do Moto1 like the first Moto2 project?' Start from a production 1000cc engine, and have everything else full prototype, like in Moto2."

"So this idea we threw on the table, asking the MSMA 'What do you think?'. They came back with a proposal that they might be in the position from 2011 to supply engines only, 800cc prototype engines, at a really affordable cost."

When asked whether the Team KR bike was an example of this, Poncharal replied, "Exactly! But they are now thinking to do it, all of them, maybe not Suzuki, but all of the ones who are supplying the independent teams Ducati Honda and Yamaha, at an affordable cost. This is an idea, but they have been asking us to wait until Indianapolis to come with a real strong proposal."

The Grand Prix Commission is expected to meet here on Saturday, to discuss issues surrounding the number of sealed engines, but the big news, the news about the future of the MotoGP class, will have to wait until the end of August and the Indianapolis Grand Prix.

InFront Fires Warning Over Moto1
Submitted by David Emmett on Sun, 2009-07-26 12:05.

It was both expected and inevitable. After Carmelo Ezpeleta introduced a proposal to run prototype bikes powered by 1000cc production engines to the Grand Prix Commission meeting held at the Sachsenring last weekend, in an attempt to cut the astronomical costs in MotoGP, a response was sure to come from InFront Motor Sports, the body that owns the rights to World Superbikes.

It took just a week, but today, at the Brno round of World Superbikes, the Flammini brothers issued a statement to the effect that they would fight any such move with all the legal means at their disposal. The statement issued reads:

With reference to several declarations published recently by daily newspapers and weekly magazines, according to which the organizer of the Grand Prix World Championship is reported to be evaluating the possible participation of bikes equipped with production based 1000 cc engines in the MotoGP class, Infront Motor Sports wishes to make the following statement.

Infront Motor Sports does not consider a similar idea either to be realistic or feasible in view of the existing contracts between the FIM and Infront Motor Sports itself and in view of the specific characteristics of the World Superbike and MotoGP championships.

We believe therefore that such a project will not have any follow-up. Nevertheless, wherever future developments should render necessary any action of defense of the rights of Infront Motor Sports, as well as those of all the teams, manufacturers, riders, sponsors and media who have invested in the Superbike and Supersport World Championships, such action will be immediately set in motion at all levels.

The problem revolves around contracts between InFront, the organizers of World Superbikes, and the FIM, the sanctioning body. InFront believes it has a monopoly on racing production-based motorcycles, while Dorna, IRTA and the FIM want to reduce costs by using heavily modified production engines in prototype chassis. Their stance is that a prototype is anything that the manufacturers declare a prototype, whether based on a production model or not.

We spoke to Herve Poncharal, boss of IRTA, on Thursday, and asked him about just this problem. Poncharal was clear: The problem, if it exists, is between the FIM and InFront, and Poncharal expected the FIM to know what was within the bounds of its own contracts. "The FIM knows what it can support and what it can't support," Poncharal said.

The threat of action by InFront increases the likelihood of the MSMA's counterproposal being adopted, to supply just engines to the teams at a greatly reduced cost. A detailed proposal on that is expected at the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix at the end of August.

Aspar Team Announces Ducati MotoGP Deal
Submitted by David Emmett on Sat, 2009-07-25 15:03.

Some news isn't really news. So it is with the announcement, made official today, that the Aspar team will be joining the MotoGP class in 2010, and that they will be running a Ducati.

Jorge Martinez, boss of the Aspar team, has been trying for the past 3 years to get into the MotoGP class, but his problem has always been securing machinery. Deals were mooted with Suzuki and Kawasaki, the Kawasaki deal falling through after a disagreement with the Japanese factory over the choice of rider. After Yamaha refused to supply extra bikes for Aspar, there were even hotly denied rumors that Aspar would be taking over the bikes of the Tech 3 team, which turned out to be based more on wishful thinking than on actual fact.

Aspar's luck finally changed after Sete Gibernau's went sour. Once the controversial Spanish property millionaire Francisco Hernando pulled out of sponsoring the eponymous team fielding Sete Gibernau, the bike used by the team became vacant. Aspar had been widely tipped to take over the bike after news of the GFH team's pull out broke, and today's announcement is just confirmation of what had been widely trailed before.

Under the terms of the deal, the Aspar team will receive a single bike for 2010, with the possibility of a second bike in 2011. The exact wording of the press release is that there is "the intention to add a further member to the Aspar lineup for 2011." This is not quite a cast-iron guarantee of a second bike for 2011, but with changes expected for that season to reduce the cost of racing and make more bikes (or perhaps just engines) available, the chances of expansion are good for the team which has dominated the 125cc and 250cc classes for so long.

Jorge Martinez now has one half of the puzzle sorted, but he now faces an equally difficult task to secure the other half. Martinez has been keen to sign Alvaro Bautista to move up to the MotoGP class, but the Spanish sensation has been very wary of the Ducati, having seen rather too many riders struggle on the bike. And Bautista is not alone, prior to his signing with the Gresini Honda team, Marco Simoncelli displayed a similar reluctance to ride a Ducati, despite being closely courted by Ducati.

The announcement today contained no details of a rider, but the team stated that they hoped to announce the rider at the following round of MotoGP in Brno, after the summer break.

Edited by memento, 27 July 2009 - 12:31.

#167 Ridjis

Ridjis
  • Members
  • 37,708 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:20

Mlad je, hrabar i traži svoje limite. Tačno je da pravi greške, ali je prokleto brz i uspeo je nekolik puta da pobedi najboljeg motociklistu svih vremena na istom motoru. Jorge je fenomenalan vozač!!

И јуче је до пада био феноменалан. Треба и мало среће кад већ паднеш да не мораш да одустанеш као Валентино

#168 memento

memento
  • Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:29

Ovaj je bio spektakularan!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Mlad je, hrabar i traži svoje limite. Tačno je da pravi greške, ali je prokleto brz i uspeo je nekolik puta da pobedi najboljeg motociklistu svih vremena na istom motoru. Jorge je fenomenalan vozač!!

da stavimo to malo slikovitije

Youtube Video ->Original Video

laguna prosle godine

ovo vise i ne znam od kad je

le mans prosle godine

Па баш сам почео да пишем овде о томе да ми је неко причао скоро да би изабрао да гледам МотоГП уместо Ф1 рекао да нема шансе :)

zadovoljna sam odgovorom :ph34r:

#169 memento

memento
  • Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:39

Lorenzo Postpones Yamaha Decision A Few Weeks
Submitted by David Emmett on Sun, 2009-07-26 10:34.

Silly season for the MotoGP class is in a strange, almost schizophrenic state. The paddock is swirling with rumors - though admittedly, this is its usual state - yet few moves or announcements are forthcoming. Normally, we would be in the middle of rider announcements, but one man has been holding up all progress in the annual rider merry-go-round.

Jorge Lorenzo's contract with Yamaha is up at the end of the 2009 season, and the Spanish sensation is dragging his feet over a contract renewal and trawling the market to test his value. He has an offer on the table from Yamaha, but has been openly flirting with Honda, with talk of the Repsol Honda team being divided into two separate teams, along similar lines to the Fiat Yamaha garage now.

Jorge Lorenzo at Donington

First, though, Lorenzo must decide whether his future lies with Yamaha or not. The Spaniard had a meeting with senior Yamaha executives Lin Jarvis and Masao Furusawa at Donington last night, where Yamaha and Lorenzo, together with his manager Marcos Hirsch, discussed the situation at great length.

According to the Spanish sports daily AS.com, the main outcome of the meeting was that both sides should go away and consider the situation carefully. However, the good news for Yamaha is that Lorenzo seems to be more inclined to stay with the Japanese factory than to go elsewhere. "The best option for Lorenzo continues to be that he renews his contract with Yamaha, and for the manufacturer, to continue with Jorge in their garage."

The news will come as a frustration and a relief to the rest of the paddock. The relief will be felt most keenly for Dani Pedrosa and his manager Alberto Puig. AS says it has been told that if Lorenzo joins Repsol Honda, Pedrosa will leave, and with the Honda just starting to come good, that would be a less attractive option. The frustration will be felt most keenly among the rest of the riders; Lorenzo is the key to the rest of the rider reshuffle, once Lorenzo decides where his future lies, then the rest of the pieces can be rearranged accordingly.

And so Yamaha, the riders, MotoGP fans and especially the Spanish press are left to wait, for several more weeks. This story, as they say, is set to run and run.

FIM Clarifies "Rookie Rule" - Less Than 9 Races Make A Rookie
Submitted by David Emmett on Sat, 2009-07-25 19:52.

Words are tricky things. Immediately after the announcement of the so-called rookie rule, debate immediately broke out over the meaning of the words "rookie" and "factory team." The response of Dorna and the FIM has been a little too akin to that of Humpty Dumpty in Lewis Carroll's Through The Looking Glass, insisting that when they use a word, it means exactly what they choose it to mean, neither more nor less.

Of course, this was not going to be a tenable situation for long. Speculation was rife in the press that factory teams could consider signing promising young stars such as Marco Simoncelli, Alvaro Bautista or Ben Spies for the last few races once they'd secured (or failed to secure) their current championships, then claim that because they'd been under contract in 2009, they should no longer be regarded as "rookies" and could go straight to factory teams for 2010.

So MotoGP's rule-making body, the Grand Prix Commission, has acted to prevent this and issued a definition of the term "rookie." The definition basically means that any rider who hasn't taken part in 9 races in the previous season must be considered a rookie, and will therefore not be eligible to race for a factory team. The definition is clearly designed to preempt any attempt at getting around the ban on rookies, as riders will basically have to compete for half a season before they are no longer rookies.

The definition issued by the FIM follows below:

Definition of a "contracted rider" and a "Rookie" rider.

A contracted rider is a rider who has participated in nine or more events during one season.

A "Rookie" is a rider nominated by a participating team for participation in the entire season, who has not been a contracted rider as defined above in the same class in any previous season.

For the purpose of this clause, the 500cc class and the MotoGP class are considered to be the same, as are the 250cc class and the Moto2 class.

The press release containing the rule changes, as well as other alterations to the rules limiting engine life, can be found on the FIM website (PDF format).

Hayden, Stoner And Suppo Explain The Decision To Use Wet Tires
Submitted by David Emmett on Sun, 2009-07-26 21:49.

Ducati riders Nicky Hayden and Casey Stoner spoke to the press after the race at Donington, explaining their decision to use wet tires for the race. Below is a transcript of what they told the press:

Nicky Hayden and Casey Stoner at Donington, on wet tires

Nicky Hayden: I hadn't won a race in three years, I thought, you know what, I've got nothing to lose, why not roll the dice. I knew the chances were probably a little bit against me, but this track can get slick quick. And I mean, it was spitting rain. On the first lap, second lap, all I needed is what we have now [it's raining more heavily by now, Ed.]. It was a gamble that I took, we took, it was my choice, though. I'll take the responsibility.

Livio Suppo: As I said before, there's no blaming. We share the good, we share the bad, right. Sometimes we do mistakes, sometimes the rider makes mistakes, but I underline, if there's a safety issue, I will never oblige a rider [to make a decision].

Q: When did you realize it wasn't go to go your way?

Nicky Hayden: Well, the first couple of laps, I mean, it was... One thing I knew here you weren't going to lose a whole lot of time if you did have to pit for a new bike, because the last corner, the way it was, I thought that especially in the beginning, get some rain, get out for a gap and then maybe pit for my slick bike. but the first couple of laps, I mean it was misting rain, but I was cruising round because I didn't want to destroy the tires. And so at first, it was just keep them in sight, keep them in sight. All you needed was for the clouds to break basically. I mean, I couldn't see riding my scooter back to the motorhome it was raining so hard. About three or four laps, I realized it was … pffft... pretty much over. But anyway I stayed out. By then I'd caught up to Casey, went back and forth with him a few times while we were together. But the last five laps, the tire, there was just no tread, the sides were OK but the center had just gone.

Q: Did you think about coming in to change to a bike with slicks?

Nicky Hayden: It was raining, you know? So why come in at that stage and change to a slick bike.

Q: It was a rider decision, but you thought it was worth the gamble?

Casey Stoner: Basically, everyone knows my situation in the dry races at the moment, and the bike's been working well, but in an outright dry race I get tired really quickly, and this weekend it's definitely been more aggressive with me at this circuit than the Sachsenring was. And the whole race, it was a fingernail away from being plenty of rain to wet the track enough for everyone to have to come in and we would look like heroes. But things didn't work out like that, it just kept threatening the whole time, until right at the end it put a little bit more rain down but it was too little too late. We knew we had much better pace in the wet. Physically, I'm able to go a lot further in the wet, so it was wishful thinking, but also a calculated risk. Unfortunately, it was just that far from being enough. But things happen like this, you know. All this time I've been with Ducati it's the only risk I've taken, it's the only time I've taken this sort of decision in my life. But it was something I felt was worth the risk, and obviously it didn't pay off.

Q: Nicky, have you ever made a decision like this?

Nicky Hayden: No, but this year I've been tempted, because like they say, at the back, sometimes you only get a chance like that to be a hero every now and then. But it's the first time.

Q: Casey, how long were you going and thinking it might still pay off? When did you realize, no it hasn't?

Casey Stoner: Lap 10, basically we knew the race was kind of over. Now we're just going round just trying to keep those sharp edges on the wets judging how long we can make them last and hoping it would pour down. After lap 10, when we knew the race was gone, but if it had rained reasonably soon after that, then we could at least get some good positions back, and see what we're capable of.

Q: Nicky said that ideally, it would have rained a little in the first few laps, then you could have got a lead and come in and changed bikes to slicks.

Casey Stoner: You know honestly, on the warm up lap, there was no way we were going to be on the race with slicks. It was touch the throttle and you'd be out of the seat. You know, there was a few riders on the first lap coming up out of the seat, all kinds of stuff. I was kind of rubbing my hands together, thinking "this is it, there's gonna be enough rain, it's gonna come," just a little bit more was all we needed just to put enough down so that the slicks just wouldn't work, but it just never happened, you know? The track temperature at Donington was strangely warm for this kind of conditions and as Nicky said before, as soon as the water was hitting the ground it was just evaporating too quickly and not really putting it down for the wet tires to start working. For me it was worth the gamble, but it just didn't pay off.

We knew everybody else was on slicks, but we thought it was worth a try. As I said before, I was just physically not ready for it in the dry, and in the wet, the bike was working well.

#170 Ridjis

Ridjis
  • Members
  • 37,708 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 15:34

zadovoljna sam odgovorom :ph34r:

Само морам да ти кажем да ипак не ваља када се навија за неког :)

#171 memento

memento
  • Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 15:45

Само морам да ти кажем да ипак не ваља када се навија за неког :ph34r:

mislis ne valja kad taj za koga navijas gubi?

#172 Ridjis

Ridjis
  • Members
  • 37,708 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 16:36

mislis ne valja kad taj za koga navijas gubi?

Ma није проблем што губи него кад одустане из трке онда се некако разочараш. Боље и нека је 15и, 16и али да је у трци.

#173 sasa965

sasa965
  • Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 21:40

Jorge vozi dobro i tu nema sumnje ali i drugi su dobri.Najvaznije pitanje je jesu li dobri za Rosija.Trenutno nisu i to je ocigledno,morzda zbog zanimljivosti trka treba da povremeno pobedi i neko drugi.Rosi je najbolji i to ce trajati,verovatno dok se ne povuce. Za Jorgeovu karijeru je mozda bolje da ode u Hondu,dobra ekipa i sigurno bi sve dali da pobede Rosija.Tako bi bilo interesantnije za publiku i stonzore.Zamalo da propustim,poslednja trka je kljucna za samopouzdanje Lorenca vozi brzo lepo agresivno i onda sta pad.Zato sam i napisao jos malo.On nama resenja za Rosija kad je brz pada ili ga Rosi pretekne u poslednjoj krivini frustrirajuce.Ako je tametan u Hodu da radi od pocetka gradi samopouzdanje pa jednog dana ko zna ...??

#174 alpiner

alpiner
  • Members
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 22:30

Niko i ne misli da je Jorge bolji od Rossija, ali cene napor koji ulaže. Što se padova tiče, a ko ne pravi greške, ko ne pada? I Rossi je izgubio jednu titulu zbog pada.

#175 memento

memento
  • Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 15:17

2010 MotoGP Provisional Calendar Announced
Submitted by David Emmett on Tue, 2009-07-28 19:44.

The FIM today announced the provisional calendar for the 2010 MotoGP season. The provisional calendar looks broadly similar to this year, but there are a few key changes. Firstly, the British Grand Prix, now moved to Silverstone, is much earlier than its counterpart at Donington, moved up over a month to early June. This disrupts the traditional pairing of the Italian and Catalunya Grand Prix, with the Barcelona round being put back to early July, instead of the first or second weekend after the Mugello round.

One interesting point to note is the inclusion of a "reserve circuit". After the effects of the financial crisis, together with permit problems, meant that Balatonring circuit was not completed in time for the planned race in the middle of September this year, the FIM and Dorna have wisely elected to have a backup plan, in case the situation repeats itself. That is an entirely realistic prospect, as the Balatonring circuit continues to be dogged by problems.

Should the series need to switch to the reserve circuit, then it would mean that Spain would see four Grand Prix run on its soil. :ph34r: The Motorland Aragon Circuit is a brand new track which has been built near Alcañiz, Aragon, Spain, a couple of hundred kilometers inland from Barcelona. The circuit is trying to attract both Formula One and MotoGP, though whether the Spanish economy is strong enough to sustain four MotoGP rounds has to be in doubt.

Provisional 2010 MotoGP Calendar
Dates Grand Prix Circuit
April 11 * Qatar Doha/Losail
April 25 Japan Motegi
May 2 Spain Jerez de la Frontera
May 16 France Le Mans
May 30 Italy Mugello
June 6 Great Britain Silverstone
June 26 ** Netherlands Assen
July 4 Catalunya Catalunya
July 18 Germany Sachsenring
July 25 *** United States Laguna Seca
August 15 Czech Rep. Brno
August 29 Indianapolis Indianapolis
September 12 San Marino & Riviera di Rimini Misano
September 19 Hungary Balatonring
October 10 Malaysia Sepang
October 17 Australia Phillip Island
October 31 Portugal Estoril (e jebiga propade mi portugal i za sledecu godinu :) :D :D)
November 7 Valencia Ricardo Tormo – Valencia

*: Evening Race
**: Saturday
***: Only MotoGP class
Reserve circuit,"Motorland Aragon Circuit"

#176 memento

memento
  • Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 14:12

Day of Champions auction tops £77,000

25 July 2009

Riders for Health and the MotoGP riders put on a fantastic show at the world famous Day of Champions auction and raised an incredible £77,000 [€89,000] before the MotoGP weekend on Thursday 23rd July.

_T2P8760.jpgThe auction was presented by the ever-popular team of Julian Ryder, Toby Moody and Riders for Health co-founder, Randy Mamola. The trio were reunited for the first time this season and were joined on stage by the stars of MotoGP as they auctioned 75 lots in only four hours.

Colin Edwards got the show underway with his leathers and boots raising £2,200. Dani Pedrosa, Tony Elias, Alex de Angelis, Andrea Dovizioso, Gabor Talmacsi, Mika Kallio and Niccolo Canepa all donated their leathers, boots or gloves from races earlier in the season raising a combined total of £4,835.

Loris Capirossi donated a set of leathers, which sold for £1,000 and Chris Vermeulen auctioned a signed painting, raising £700. Suzuki MotoGP team boss, Paul Denning, then auctioned the ultimate VIP package. The winner will enjoy full hospitality, a tour of the Suzuki suzuki boys 1.jpggarage, the chance to watch a practice session from the pit-wall and finally, they will join the team on the starting grid before Sunday’s race. This once-in-a-lifetime experience raised £7,600, making it the most successful single item in the auction.

After missing last year’s event through injury, Jorge Lorenzo was an instant hit in his first Day of Champions auction. Jorge painted an original canvas for Riders for Health, displaying a map of Africa with the Lorenzo’s Land flag and the words, 'peace and love for Africa'. This unique and fabulous painting raised £2,300.

LCR Honda MotoGP principal Lucio Cecchinello and rider Randy de Puniet also created their own artwork. Lucio gave one lucky bidder the benefit of his experience with a hand-drawn map of Donington Park complete with notes on the track. In total the LCR Honda team's items raised £4,950.

Thanks to Ducati, one Casey Stoner fan got to meet their hero when he toured the Ducati garage and met Casey over dinner in Ducati’s hospitality suite. Nicky Hayden donated two signed Tissot watches, and the cap he wore to the stage, raising a total of £4,400. Marco Melandri auctioned leathers, which raised £1,600, with his boots and a replica helmet bringing his total to £2,475.

One of the biggest cheers of the afternoon was reserved for the three British 125cc riders. Danny Webb, Scott Redding and Bradley Smith all donated sets of leathers, making a combined total of £2,575.

It wasn’t just the current stars that got in on the action, with racing legends Kevin Schwantz and Randy Mamola also adding to the total. Two caps from Kevin raised £400 and a set of Randy’s leathers sold for £3,100.

mamola leathers.jpgValentino Rossi never fails to get the fans bidding. In total Valentino's items raised £17,100. The highlight was surely a signed baseball cap worn this season – including at Assen where he achieved his 100th career win – which raised £2,200. Valentino’s official photographer, Gigi Soldano [Milagro], boosted the auction total by £4,000 with his beautiful signed photograph of all the MotoGP riders.

Bringing the auction to a close was local favourite, James Toseland, who auctioned signed leathers, paintings and framed photographs raising a total of £3,650.

After the auction Andrea Coleman, CEO of Riders for Health, said: ‘The generosity and patience of everyone in the MotoGP paddock on Day of Champions is amazing. Everyone gives of their precious time to contribute to bringing health care to the people of Africa. I believe this is truly unique in sport.’

To read a report from the whole day, click here. We will be posting more stories next week, make sure you are the first to know when they are online by following us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/ridersforhealth.

Lorenzo slika :ph34r:

Edited by memento, 01 August 2009 - 14:13.

#177 memento

memento
  • Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 15:53

malo sam zapustila ovo mesto... pa da kernemo sa bajtim vestima

De Puniet Breaks Ankle During Training

Submitted by David Emmett on Tue, 2009-08-04 10:43.

After the joy of his surprise podium at Donington Park, Randy de Puniet had misfortune to deal with last weekend. The Frenchman was training with his coach, former motocross champion Yves Demaria, at a track near Aix-en-Provence when he crashed his motocross bike, falling heavily on his leg. He was immediately taken to a local hospital where X-rays revealed a fractured in his left ankle. A screw was immediately inserted to fix the bones, and de Puniet was immediately discharged from hospital.

The Frenchman is due to meet with Clinica Mobile staff over the next few days to discuss his physical rehabilitation, and expects to be able to ride at the next MotoGP round at Brno in ten days time. A press release by the LCR Honda team quoted De Puniet as saying "I am very disappointed about this setback but training is very important for me in order to be in good shape in MotoGP. I will do my best to race in Brno and I am sure that the Clinica Mobile staff will support me in the best way."

Suter / Gil Motor Sport To Run 2 Rider MotoGP Team In 2010?
Submitted by David Emmett on Thu, 2009-07-30 22:08.

The grids for MotoGP have been falling steadily since the start of the four-stroke era, but that process has accelerated since the introduction of the 800cc bikes. Every year, the grids have become thinner, any upward trend proving tragically all too temporary, as we saw with the withdrawal of Kawasaki at the start of the season, and later Sete Gibernau's Grupo Francisco Hernando team pulling out.

The reasons for this are simple and well-known: MotoGP has simply become too expensive. The cost of running a satellite team with a pair of bikes is around the 7-8 million euro mark, and even then, you first have to persuade a manufacturer to supply the bikes, something the manufacturers have not proven to be keen to do. A range of plans have been drawn up to counter the problems, and proposals are on the table to drastically cut costs, including a proposal from the manufacturers to lease just engines at a much more affordable price than the 1.7 million euros that a pair of bikes currently costs.

But the MotoGP grid could be set to expand in 2010, even without additional help from the manufacturers. The French website Moto Caradisiac is reporting that the former World Supersport team Gil Motor Sport will be fielding two riders in MotoGP next year, together with technical support from Eskil Suter's Suter Racing Technology company. The two rider team, to be run by Gil Motor Sport's boss and French eccentric Jean Christophe Ponsson, will be using bikes produced by Suter and based on Ilmor's jewel-like X3 power plant.

The news is confirmed by a statement on the Gil Motor Sport website, which reads:

GMS confirms the several meetings with Suter Racing Technology in order to evaluate the feasibility for Gil Motor Sport to enter the 2010 Moto GP championship with two riders, on the Suter Racing Technology chassis and engine motorbike.

The agreements in principle from these meetings determinate the responsibilities of each one. Gil Motor Sport will take in charge of the general management and the logistic. Suter Racing Technology will take charge of the technical part.

Gil Motor Sport informed the Dorna on the 14th July 2009 about this project and that Gil Motor Sport already held a part of the budget required. Gil Motor Sport also informed the Dorna that the deadline to finalize the 2010 season budget is the 30th September 2009.

The plan, according to Moto Caradisiac, is for Ponsson and Gil Motor Sport to run the team, while Suter will provide the bikes to race. Ponsson has a budget of four million euros to run the team, or roughly half of what an ordinary satellite team would cost to run, and an amount which Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta could easily match, if he felt it was in the interest of the sport to expand the grid. With the Hayate team almost certain to leave the paddock at the end of this season, and severe doubts hanging over the future of Scot's MotoGP effort, there is a very good chance indeed that Ezpeleta will do whatever he can to help the GMS effort.

But there is good reason for scepticism as well. MotoGPMatters.com has made enquiries with Ilmor about the ability of Suter Racing Technology to run the former Ilmor bikes, for which Suter designed the chassis and Ilmor's brilliant senior designer Ian Watson created the engine. When contacted, Ilmor Managing Director Steve Miller told MotoGPMatters.com that they had not been approached by Suter or Gil Motor Sports about using the engine.

So first, there's the question of whether Suter even has the right to supply the bikes. Ilmor has made no secret of their desire to return to racing, but the sums that they felt would be needed to get back to racing outstrip what Ponsson and Gil Motor Sport has to spend on the project.

Next, there's the question of competitiveness. When it raced, the Ilmor's engine produced plenty of power, but the bike's lap times were over a couple of seconds off the pace. Things have moved on a great deal since 2007, and with little development having been done, the X3 will be even further off the pace than when they were racing. What's more, the previous projects that Eskil Suter has been involved in recently - Kawasaki's early MotoGP bikes, the MuZ 500cc GP bike, and the Foggy Petronas FP3 Superbike - have found it hard to be competitive, often managing to run mid-pack at best, dead last at worst.

Finally, there's the feasibility of the project as a whole. The team statement cites September 30th, 2009 as the deadline by which the team budget and plans will be finalized. That deadline, just two months away, lives little room for error, and the team will have to work flat out to find riders, sponsorship and, indeed, bikes, if it is to come to fruition. This is a fascinating development, if it should come off. But you would be well advised not to hold your breath.

#178 memento

memento
  • Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 15:57

i malo "ko ce gde" spekulacija

2010 Silly Season Round Up Part 1:
The Known Knowns

Submitted by David Emmett on Thu, 2009-08-06 14:32.

Although MotoGP's traditional silly season - the point at which teams and riders decide who will be going where next year - is currently being blocked by one man (a certain Spanish rider by the name of Jorge Lorenzo), it is still time to start taking stock of the current state of the market, and marking out who will be staying and who will be going. Over the next few days MotoGPMatters.com will be running a series of articles on the state of the silly season, to help you keep track. All the official signings will be recorded on the 2010 MotoGP rider line up page, which will be updated as and when contracts are actually confirmed.

So far, that list is pretty short. Only Valentino Rossi, Casey Stoner and Marco Simoncelli have confirmed contracts for 2010, the rest is all up in the air. Rossi is halfway through his two-year contract with Yamaha, and is likely to extend that at the end of next season; Stoner has exercised the option he had to remain with Ducati for next year, though his disappointment with Yamaha and Honda for not offering him a factory ride at the end of 2006 has a role to play in the decision; and Simoncelli is the first victim of the rookie rule, the Italian expected to go to a factory team, but being prevented by the rule barring new entries into the class from signing directly with a factory team and forcing them to serve an apprenticeship year - and help bring some much-needed sponsorship into - a satellite team.

Though the list of confirmed riders is short, there are still plenty of things we are sure about for the 2010 MotoGP season. The first of these is the entry of the Aspar team into the paddock, taking over the Ducati left vacant by the surprise withdrawal of Sete Gibernau's Grupo Francisco Hernando squad. Aspar has dominated the lower classes, Julian Simon taking the team's 100th victory at Donington at the end of July, and has been trying to break into the MotoGP class for the past couple of years. Although no rider has yet been confirmed for the Aspar squad, what we can be sure of is that both the rider and the title sponsor will be Spanish, and possibly even Valencian. Aspar has been trying to persuade his protege Alvaro Bautista to join him in MotoGP, but Bautista is believed to be wary of the career-wrecking ability of the Ducati.

Whether he goes to Aspar or not, Alvaro Bautista is certain to be one of a number of rookies entering the class. Bautista will be joining current arch rival Marco Simoncelli in MotoGP, perpetuating the Italian-Spanish rivalry that exists at all levels of MotoGP. Hector Barbera is almost certain to join Bautista and Simoncelli, the only question being where, though his name is being touted around a number of destinations in the paddock.

To make way for the arrival of these new riders, an exodus of older names is also on the cards. At least one former World Superbike rider is certain to return to the series, and it is likely there will be more than one rider to return to the WSBK fold.

The other near certainty is the end of Kawasaki's participation in MotoGP. The factory only acceded to Dorna's request to continue in the series after coming under serious pressure (and implied legal threats) from Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta to remain, but after the promised year, Kawasaki is likely to be gone. Their withdrawal is doubly tragic, as the atmosphere in the team is exceptionally cheerful, everyone working both harder and probably better than ever, partly as a result of Marco Melandri's remarkable performance on the Hayate.

The final certainty we have about the 2010 season is that Jorge Lorenzo and Dani Pedrosa will not be in the same team. Lorenzo is yet to decide between Honda and Yamaha - though highly reliable sources say that the Spaniard will be staying with the Fiat Yamaha squad - but if he switches to Honda, Dani Pedrosa will leave. Pedrosa has repeatedly denied that his decision will be based on what is best for Dani Pedrosa, not reliant on what Jorge Lorenzo does, but Lorenzo would not join Honda without a guarantee of equal treatment at the very least, and Pedrosa would not accept anything other than a guaranteed number 1 position in the team.

More of that tomorrow, though, when we move from the known knowns to the known unknowns, to use Donald Rumsfeld's awkward yet supremely useful phrase.

2010 Silly Season Round Up Part 2:
The Known Unknowns

Submitted by David Emmett on Fri, 2009-08-07 13:15.

Yesterday, we covered the things we know for sure about the MotoGP riders market in 2010. So today, we turn our attention to the known unknowns, the riders and teams that we are fairly sure are going to be in MotoGP but with no certainty as to how or where or with whom. Naturally, that lack of certainty means that what follows is partly speculation, but is based on information which has so far proven to be reliable for the most part. If you're fond of a flutter, it might be worth taking a shot on some of what follows, but I certainly wouldn't bet the farm on any of it.

The biggest dependency in the MotoGP Silly Season so far was touched upon yesterday. Jorge Lorenzo is the juggernaut stopped at the crossroads, holding up the traffic behind him, deciding whether to take the fork to Honda or to continue on along the road with Yamaha. The news emerging from various sources in the media and the paddock is that Lorenzo is most likely to stay the course with Yamaha and demonstrate that he can beat Valentino Rossi on equal machinery.

If, as we expect, Lorenzo stays, then this will precipitate a host of changes through the rest of the field. The most significant of these, as we covered yesterday, will be Dani Pedrosa. With the option of a move to Yamaha effectively blocked - Yamaha could neither afford nor would they want three of the top four riders in the world, as they have their hands full already just handling two of them - Pedrosa will most likely remain at Repsol Honda, perhaps with some extra guarantees of performance from HRC extracted with some extra pressure from Repsol, who grow tired of pouring many millions of euros into the factory Honda squad without seeing the desired return (a Spanish MotoGP champion) on their investment.

Andrea Dovizioso is likely to retain his seat alongside Dani Pedrosa, his hand having been strengthened by his victory at Donington Park just a couple of weeks ago. But as HRC is quietly accumulating talent in the background, with Marco Simoncelli already signed for Gresini next year and one or two other names already popping up on the HRC radar, Dovi will most likely be given another one year contract for just the 2010 season, so that HRC can reshuffle its cards at the end of next year. HRC's hands are also tied by the limited options available. Yamaha has successfully corner a sizable chunk of the talent market, and the only rider eligible and qualified to move up to the Repsol ride would be Marco Melandri, who has proved again this year that he can still ride, just as long as what he's riding wasn't built in Bologna.

With the major factory rides more or less tied up, MotoGP's most desirable destination right now is the Tech 3 Yamaha team. The Yamaha M1 is clearly the pick of the bunch in terms of performance, and the level of support Yamaha is giving to Tech 3 makes the satellite team's bikes much closer to the factory M1s than, for example, the satellite-spec Hondas. This makes the Tech 3 team a talented rider's best hope of a podium on a non-factory machine and the list of interested parties is very long indeed.

Though Tech 3 has two seats to offer, only one of those is decided at the sole discretion of team boss Herve Poncharal. The other belongs to Yamaha Japan, and the factory decides who to put there. Right now, that seat is held by Colin Edwards, and his prospects for remaining are looking strong. With Lorenzo likely to stay at Yamaha, Ben Spies' route into the Yamaha factory team has been closed off. With Spies probably out of the equation for this year (more on that tomorrow), the pressure on Edwards diminishes, and the Texan's strong results and highly regarded bike development skills are likely to secure him the Japanese seat at Tech 3. According to Motorcycle News' Matt Birt, no decision will be finalized until some time in October, but Edwards probably has little to fear. The other seat is wide open, though, and we will cover the options Poncharal has tomorrow.

At Ducati, a similar situation applies. Casey Stoner is locked in for 2010, and Ducati have an option on Nicky Hayden for next year as well. As Hayden's fortunes have started to improve - at Donington, Hayden said that he was finally starting to use his own settings as a base and not rely on settings taken from Stoner - so the Kentuckian has looked more likely to stay. Hayden has certainly looked happier at the last two rounds than he did at the beginning of the season, and Ducati has also shown ever more faith in the American. With Hayden 848 replicas selling out almost as soon as they were announced, Ducati understands the marketing power that the Kentucky Kid has in the USA, one of its most important markets. Ducati has until September 1st to exercise the option they have on Hayden, which would make for a repeat of last year's high-profile announcement at Indianapolis.

The other certainty at Ducati is Pramac's Mika Kallio. The Finnish rookie has impressed Ducati bosses with the speed with which he adapted to the fearsome GP9, and despite his somewhat erratic results - varying anywhere from a strong 8th to being out of the points - Ducati see a lot of potential in Kallio. The Finn is almost certain to stay with the Pramac satellite squad for another year, and have another chance to impress Ducati enough to be moved up to the factory team in 2011.

A year ago, Marco Melandri (whose birthday it is today) was a broken man, with doubts hanging over his future. But his frankly brilliant performance on an underpowered, undeveloped Kawasaki has regained him the respect of the fans he brought to the brink of despair when he was on the Ducati. Although Kawasaki will be gone from MotoGP next season, Melandri has done more than enough to earn himself another chance in MotoGP.

His most likely destination is the Gresini Honda garage, alongside 250cc prodigy and fellow countryman Marco Simoncelli. But this "dream team" in terms of sponsorship is likely to leave Fausto Gresini with a major problem. The Italian will probably only receive one factory-spec RC212V to run from Honda, along with one less competitive satellite-spec bike. Does he give the factory bike to Simoncelli, the man with the HRC backing but still just a rookie in the class, or does he give the bike to Melandri, a proven winner for the team and on the bike?

While Gresini wrestles with an embarrassment of riches, the Suzuki squad is in more difficult straits. On the one hand, the Rizla Suzuki team has an exemption from the Rookie Rule, allowing riders entering the class for the first time to join the squad despite it being a factory operation. But on the other, Suzuki have consistently failed to produce a competitive machine, their bikes never able to build on the form they so often show in pre-season testing. This latter problem has caused Loris Capirossi to demand that Suzuki step up their efforts, or the Italian veteran will walk away from the team. Suzuki is keen to retain Capirex, though, and if they can provide him with the guarantees he wants about the competitiveness of the bike, he is almost certain to stay for a final year before retiring.

Who Capirossi will be sharing the garage with is still open to debate. The hot favorite is Spanish star Alvaro Bautista, who is certain to move up to MotoGP, but whose options are slightly limited. Bautista has two main choices: join the Rizla Suzuki team and enjoy the benefits of being on a factory team; or stay with Jorge Martinez and Aspar to ride the single Ducati the Spanish-based team will be fielding next year. Bautista has not been keen to ride the Ducati, having seen the bike disfigure the careers of so many others, but he also knows Martinez and the Aspar team very well, and knows that they are a quality outfit. In the end, the lure of factory backing is likely to prove too much for Bautista to resist, and the Spaniard will probably end up in blue next year.

The last of the probables is the man with the money, Hungarian superstar Gabor Talmacsi. The former 125cc World Champion has learned quickly on his limited outings on the Honda RC212V, and has closed the gap to the rest of the field. With Talmacsi bringing hard cash in the underfunded Team Scot, through his high public profile in his native Hungary, the odds of Talmacsi holding on to the Scot Honda ride for 2010 are very strong.

Of course, this leaves the team with a problem, as Hiroshi Aoyama, currently leading the 250cc title chase on the Scot Honda, looks set to make the jump up to MotoGP next season. But the future of Aoyama, along with others such as Toni Elias, Chris Vermeulen, Randy de Puniet and James Toseland, is far less clear cut, so we will save that for tomorrow, when we will be discussing the unknown unknowns, or some of the more interesting, if not to say bizarre permutations of riders and bikes.

2010 Silly Season Round Up Part 3:
The Unknown Unknowns

Submitted by David Emmett on Sat, 2009-08-08 12:26.

In the final chapter of our summer break round up of the MotoGP season, we turn towards the unknown. After our discussions of the things we know for sure, and the things which are extremely probable, we stray from the path of solid research, head down the trail of the likely, making a left turn into the tangled brush and undergrowth of the possible and onwards to wishful thinking and the frankly bizarre. Once past the certain and the obvious, the options become more open, more varied and more improbable. Whereas you could have safely placed a small wager on the rider movements discussed yesterday, the options presented below are a pretty good way of losing your money.

We shall start our journey with the most likely scenarios, and descend into the unknown from there. Of the riders we have not yet discussed, Randy de Puniet has the best chance of securing a decent ride for next year. Since his switch to the spec Bridgestone tires, the Frenchman has been transformed from the man most likely to crash to a podium hero at Donington, and his stock has risen enormously.

De Puniet is currently in negotiations with his current team boss Lucio Cecchinello about signing for LCR Honda again for next year, but the Frenchman's main demand is not money but equipment. De Puniet wants a more competitive bike, and though Cecchinello would dearly like to oblige, that depends both on the team's ability to raise the necessary funds and HRC's willingness to supply a better bike.

And so de Puniet is also talking to - who else? - Tech 3's Herve Poncharal. At Tech 3 the Frenchman would be assured of excellent support and his best shot at more regular podium appearances. The only point of contention would be money, and unless de Puniet can bring extra sponsorship dollars to the Tech 3 team, his salary demands would have to remain modest.

Helping to keep down Herve Poncharal's wage bill is the fact that competition for the final Tech 3 seat is pretty fierce. Current incumbent James Toseland is still in with a shout, and the money he brings from Dorna for the BBC TV deal leaves the Englishman well in contention. But with young Britons such as Bradley Smith, Danny Webb and Scott Redding on the way and just a couple of seasons from joining the premier class, the need for a British rider in MotoGP is diminished, and Dorna may feel inclined to reduce its contribution to Toseland's cause. If Toseland does lose the Yamaha seat his most likely destination is World Superbikes, where he has options with a host of top teams.

Another former World Superbike rider is also in contention for Toseland's seat at Tech 3. Chris Vermeulen's place at Rizla Suzuki is looking precarious, though it is by no means certain that he won't be back there. But Vermeulen has also expressed his frustration at the lack of progress from the Hamamatsu factory in producing a competitive bike, and so may decide his interests are best served by jumping to a different manufacturer and hoping to score well enough at a satellite team that he will be offered promotion to the factory squad. If not, Vermeulen, like Toseland, will return to World Superbikes, and have another chance of securing the title there.

The other group hoping to take the Tech 3 ride is the Spanish contingent. Alvaro Bautista has been linked to the ride, though the Spaniard looks much more likely to go to Suzuki or possibly Aspar Ducati next year. But fellow Spaniards Toni Elias and rookie Hector Barbera are also serious candidates to take the seat. Elias is certain to be dropped from the Gresini Honda squad at the end of the season and is scraping around for a replacement rider. As a former race winner, he should be able to secure a seat, but with competition this intense he could find himself losing out. Tech 3 and the Pramac squad are just about Elias' final hopes, else he could find himself moving either across to World Superbikes or down to Moto2 if he can't find a ride soon.

Hector Barbera is the rookie with the weakest bargaining position, though he may be able to bring sponsorship to any team he joins. Poncharal has acknowledged that he has had talks with the Spaniard, but Barbera's most probable destination is the Aspar Ducati. The team will most likely be backed by a sponsors from the Spanish province of Valencia, and as a native of the region Barbera would be an attractive proposition. Of course, if Aspar's preferred choice of rider Alvaro Bautista takes the seat, then Barbera could find himself struggling to find another ride.

At the bottom of Jorge Martinez' rather short list of candidates to ride his new Aspar Ducati is Alex Debon. The 250 veteran has been on the verge of breaking into the MotoGP class a couple of times, but has never quite made it. If Aspar runs out of options elsewhere, Debon's Valencian roots will help him secure the seat ahead of non Spanish riders.

After Yuki Takahashi lost the Scot Honda ride to Gabor Talmacsi in mid-season, the ascension of Hiroshi Aoyama to the MotoGP class became a great deal more likely. Aoyama is having his best year ever in the 250 class, leading the championship and in with a very strong chance of clinching the title this year. The Japanese rider has been tipped to progress to the MotoGP class for a few years now and many in the paddock were surprised that Takahashi was picked ahead of Aoyama at the end of last year. With no Japanese rider currently in the series, the Japanese factories - more specifically, Honda - are likely to push hard for a seat for Aoyama somewhere.

His most likely destination is either LCR Honda (as De Puniet's replacement if the Frenchman goes to Tech 3) or possibly inside Scot Honda. Gabor Talmacsi is almost certain to remain at Scot Honda, but Dorna and Honda may find enough money to fund an extra bike for the Japanese rider. Honda's motive would be to have a Japanese rider in the series, while Dorna will want to compensate for the loss of Kawasaki and keep 18 riders on the grid.

Alex de Angelis' future is among the most uncertain in the MotoGP series at the moment. The man currently riding the second Gresini Honda will be out of a ride at the end of the year, and with very limited options. He recently told the Italian press that he was close to a deal with Pramac Ducati, but since then, no more news has been heard. His manager, Carlo Pernat, was seen recently at the Misano round of World Superbikes, but de Angelis vehemently denied he was interested in a ride in the rival series. De Angelis may not have much choice, though the man from San Marino may instead choose to move down to the Moto2 class, where his experience with four strokes could give him an advantage over the 250 riders in the first year of the class and put him in the frame for a championship.

While de Angelis' future in MotoGP is uncertain, Ben Spies is almost certain to move up to MotoGP. Herve Poncharal put Spies' chances of being in the series in 2011 as "99.999%" but that still leaves the question of next season. If Spies fails to secure the World Superbike title, then the consensus is that the Texan will remain another year in the series for a second shot at the championship, but after that he is certain to make the switch.

The question is, with whom? Yamaha is still the odds-on favorite, with the seat currently occupied by Colin Edwards being reserved for Spies. But with Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo likely to be hogging the seats at the factory Yamaha squad, Spies could be tempted to look elsewhere. The most obvious alternative would be Suzuki, though Rizla Suzuki boss has refused to be drawn on whether they are attempting to attract the man they rejected last year back to the fold. Spies himself, though, may feel that Suzuki is a bad bet, with the bike failing to perform and the factory at the top of the list of manufacturers most likely to pull out of MotoGP in the near future.

Honda would be an alternative for Spies, but at the moment, HRC doesn't have a suitable destination for the Texan. That could be remedied relatively easily if HRC smelled a chance to get their revenge on Yamaha, and sign the one rider from outside the series thought capable of challenging the Fantastic Four currently dominating the series.

Then, of course, there's Ducati. Livio Suppo recently told Motorcycle News that they were very interested in Spies and were keeping a seat free for him at the Pramac squad, but Ducati continues to suffer from the reputation the Desmosedici has for being impossible to ride. Spies is unlikely to want to risk his reputation aboard a bike that he has no guarantees of being able to get to perform. Suppo's comments seem more like angling rather than a calculated and serious approach to Spies.

There is one final rider who could also make his way into the MotoGP series. Swiss 250cc rider Thomas Luthi has made no secret of his ambition to make it into the premier class, and his Emmi Caffe Latte team is also keen to make the switch, team boss Daniel Epp saying so to the press at every opportunity. The problem, as ever, is one of equipment, and until the manufacturers start making more machinery available - either as complete bikes, or just leasing engines which they could do under a recent proposal made by the MSMA and due for further discussion at Indianapolis - then Luthi's options, like those of many other riders keen to take a shot at the class, will remain very limited indeed.

Yet help could be on the horizon, and coming from Luthi's native Switzerland. Former MuZ, Kawasaki and Ilmor designer Eskil Suter has announced that he is currently building a new bike, powered by a 240 horsepower V4 engine. The engine, Suter has been keen to emphasize, has nothing to do with the Ilmor power plant, and has been designed completely from scratch. Suter will be embarking on this project together with Jean Christophe Ponsson and the Gil Motor Sport team, currently racing in the World Supersport series. The project is due to be finalized on September 30th, and Ponsson and Suter have presented their plans to Dorna already.

But plans are not enough, as has been made amply obvious many times before. The main problem is one of money, of course, with designing, building and developing a racing motorcycle a very expensive business indeed. There are also worries about the likely performance of the bike itself, though. The projected power output - 240 bhp, according to Suter - would make it the most powerful bike on the grid by a significant margin, but that power may not be enough. The Swiss designer's previous projects - the Ilmor chassis, the early Kawasaki - suffered problems with chassis stiffness and weight distribution, and were incredibly difficult to set up and make competitive. Suter will undoubtedly have learned a great deal in the intervening period, but the question is whether it will be enough to make the difference between being several seconds off the pace and close enough to the rest to attract the necessary millions in sponsorship.

Of course, much of the above is all based on speculation, hearsay, rumors and guesswork, but until Jorge Lorenzo signs with Yamaha, that's all we have to go on. The 2010 MotoGP grid could turn out completely differently, but right now it's too early to tell. We'll be keeping track of the official signings over on our 2010 MotoGP rider line up page, which we'll be updating regularly. Bookmark that page and check back regularly if you want to know who will definitely be going where next year. Meanwhile, we shall be keeping up with the rumors and speculation on our news pages.

ziveo motogpmatters.com

#179 memento

memento
  • Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 13:13

Stoner Update - Out For Multiple Races, Kallio And Fabrizio To Move Up
Submitted by David Emmett on Mon, 2009-08-10 12:51.

Rumors of Casey Stoner's withdrawal continues to reverberate around the internet. More and more sources are confirming that Stoner will not be present at Brno, and could be gone for several races: The usually extremely reliable GPOne.com is stating that official confirmation will be coming very shortly, while Speed TV's Dennis Noyes has apparently had confirmation from a source inside Italy that the Bologna factory is currently working on a press release.

The consensus seems to be that Stoner has been advised by doctors to take more rest, probably missing the next three races, at Brno, Indianapolis and Misano. With the Hungarian round at the Balatonring already canceled, this would give Stoner a further two months to recover, in time for the grueling run of four races in six weekends, spread over three continents, which caps the MotoGP season in October and November. Two more months would give Stoner a chance to rest and his medical advisors an opportunity to get to the bottom of his mystery illness.

That mystery has naturally led to a veritable tsunami of speculation. Current favorite is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, a disease which is linked to stress, anemia, a number of viral infections, as well as several other causes. The disease is poorly understood, but certainly the symptoms bear a striking resemblance to what we know of Stoner's condition: a sudden onset after a flu-like illness, exhaustion after physical exertion, stomach problems, and a failure to recover. So far, though, this is based solely on speculation and armchair diagnosis, and cannot be regarded as in any way accurate or reliable.

If Stoner is to miss out on three races, then Ducati face an immediate problem of finding a replacement. GPOne.com is reporting that current Pramac Ducati rider Mika Kallio will be drafted in to take Stoner's place for the next three Grand Prix, which could be a prelude to a future promotion to the factory team. The options to fill Kallio's empty seat are less clear. Ducati World Superbike rider Michel Fabrizio is one name that is being bandied about, though if Fabrizio were to replace Kallio, the Italian would miss the next round of World Superbikes at the Nurburgring in Germany, which clashes with the Misano round of MotoGP. With Fabrizio still theoretically in with a chance of second, or even first in the World Superbike championship, that would be a risky gamble to take, especially with Fabrizio one of the only men looking capable of taking points away from Ben Spies, and helping the cause of his team mate and championship leader Noriyuki Haga.

If Fabrizio does not replace Kallio, Ducati's other options include current test rider Vittoriano Guareschi, who, though fast, is not believed to be keen to race, or more likely Mattia Pasini. Ducati are said to be very keen on Pasini, and as the Italian's current 250 team, the Hungarian squad Team Toth, have struggled financially recently, the deal could help both Pramac and Team Toth.

The final, and perhaps least likely option, is yet another return by Sete Gibernau. The Spanish veteran was forced to withdraw after Francisco Hernando, the controversial property tycoon, pulled all financial backing for Gibernau's GFH team. But Gibernau has been bitter in the press about the whole affair, and his injured collarbone may still not be sufficiently healed for Gibernau to be competitive.

But of course, we are still awaiting official confirmation from Borgo Panigale, where the Ducati press office are said to be preparing a press release as we speak. Once we receive that official confirmation, then at least some of the speculation will come to an end.

~~~ UPDATE ~~~

Italian sports daily Corriere dello Sport is reporting that Ducati boss Livio Suppo has confirmed Stoner's withdrawal from the next three rounds of MotoGP. Suppo is reported as saying that Stoner was "very unhappy to take such a painful decision, but it is necessary to protect his health."

#180 memento

memento
  • Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 13:39

It's Official: Ducati Confirms Stoner Out For Three Races
Submitted by David Emmett on Mon, 2009-08-10 17:05.

After the speculation and the rumors, finally the official confirmation. Below is the text of the press release put out by Ducati Corse today, on the subject of Casey Stoner missing the next three races:

STONER OUT OF ACTION FOR THREE RACES, KALLIO TO JOIN HAYDEN IN DUCATI MARLBORO TEAM

Casey Stoner will not take part in the next three Grands Prix, and will next return to action at the beginning of October for the Grand Prix of Portugal. The Australian has suffered physical problems since the Catalunya GP, which have caused him severe fatigue during the last five races. Stoner took this difficult decision after having consulted with sports doctors who have looked after him for many years back home in Australia. At this challenging time, he has the support of the team and the whole of Ducati who together with Stoner have enjoyed racing at the top of the sport for the last three seasons.

Mika Kallio will join Nicky Hayden in the Ducati Marlboro Team for the next three races, thanks to the great spirit of collaboration between Ducati and the satellite team owned by Paolo Campinoti. Kallio is in his debut season in MotoGP and has already proved to be very competitive on the GP9. For the Brno race, his place in the Pramac Team will be taken by Michel Fabrizio.

CASEY STONER, Ducati Marlboro Team (3rd in the championship on 150 points):
"After five extremely difficult races due to my health, I returned to Australia to visit the sports doctors who have looked after me for many years. We have taken the difficult decision not to contest the next three rounds of the championship, to allow my body time to recover from the recent stress. The doctors believe that during the Barcelona race I was suffering from a virus, and, that I subsequently pushed my body too hard, leading to problems that have caused my fatigue since then. The doctors are continuing with many tests to try to understand these problems and make sure it does not happen again. I have spoken with Ducati and thank them for their understanding at this time. I feel very sorry for the factory, my team, my sponsors and the fans and I am also disappointed because the bike in the last races has been very competitive. I will be doing everything possible to come back at full strength for Portugal."

NICKY HAYDEN, Ducati Marlboro Team (13th in the championship on 47 points)
"Last season I was unable to race at Brno because I was injured, but it's a great track which was completely resurfaced last year so I expect it will be much better in terms of the lumps and bumps. At least this year I will find out, having spent the break at home in Kentucky preparing myself for the second half of the year, and not taking part in things like the "X Games"! I can't wait to get back on track and score some results which will make my team happy. I hope Casey can get better over the next few weeks because we all know how quick he is when he is fit. In the meantime I need to try to make progress with the team and try to make sure that they don't miss him too much."

MIKA KALLIO, (15th in the championship on 34 points)
"When I took the call I could hardly believe it, but then I talked to my manager and I realised it was true. I am proud to be racing the next three events with the Ducati Marlboro Team. Obviously I'm not expecting to suddenly be a second quicker, because our bikes are very similar to the official machines, but I hope to be able to pick up some good results for the team. I would particularly like to thank Paolo Campinoti, who has allowed me to enjoy this incredible opportunity. It will be a real honour for me. Nonetheless I would like to send my best wishes to Casey, and I hope to see him back out on track as soon as possible."

LIVIO SUPPO, MotoGP Project Director
"It's obviously difficult for us to contemplate the next three races without Casey, but it's clear that the most important thing at this time is his health. Since his debut with us in Qatar in 2007, Casey has won 18 times as well as taking countless podium finishes, becoming one of the top riders in the World Championship in the process. We have already overcome tough times together, like when he had to undergo surgery on his scaphoid towards the end of last season. We are united whether in times of success or in times of difficulty. We are confident that the doctors will help solve the issues that have affected him since early June and that Casey will be able to take part in the last races of the year in peak fitness. Then we can prepare for 2010 in the best way possible. A big thank you to Paolo Campinoti who as always has proved to be a great supporter and an ideal partner for Ducati, allowing Mika to ride with the Ducati Marlboro Team for the next three races. Mika is having a really positive debut year in MotoGP and we are delighted that he will be alongside Nicky in the official works team. In his place at Brno in the Pramac Team will be Michel Fabrizio, who I am certain will know how to give the right kind of performance on one of his preferred tracks."