Photo
- - - - -

Sir Edmund Hillary RIP

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mioba

Mioba
  • Sleepers
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 20:01

juče je umro jedan od poslednjih heroja velikih ekspedicija 20. veka
ser edmund hilari (1919-2008)

Posted Image
Arhivska fotografija iz 1953. novozelanđanina Edmunda Hilarija i nepalca Tenzinga Norgeja na mont Everestu. Hilari je preminuo u 88 godini na Novom Zelandu (FoNet)

pregršt priča

Mount Everest has been conquered. E.P. Hillary, a New Zealand member of the ninth expedition, reached the summit at 29,002 feet with the Sherpa Tenzing on Friday [May 29].... (arhivski txt iz gardijana, 2. jun 1953)

Edited by Mioba, 12 January 2008 - 21:59.

#2 king louie

king louie
  • Members
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 20:46

Ovdje kažu kraj ere alpinizma - početak ere turizma. Na Čomolungmu (ili kako se već kaže) su se popeli senior/veteran/penzioner i čovjek bez noge; neki se spustili na skijama i na snowboardu; na obroncima leži valjda 50t smeća; Kinezi planiraju postaviti žičaru.
Zanima me kakav i koliki je zapravo tamo promet.

#3 Mioba

Mioba
  • Sleepers
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 21:14

Sir Ed wrote in 1999's View from the Summit, his most recent autobiography, of his wish to have his ashes scattered at sea.

"When climbers die on a mountain, the understandable reaction of family and friends is to say that they died doing what they enjoyed most and their bodies rest on the mountains they loved," he wrote.

"However, I've never had any desire to end my days at the bottom of a deep crevasse - I've been down too many of them for that to have much appeal. I'm a somewhat fearful person and would prefer to go peacefully if that were possible.

"I should even like my ashes to be spread on the beautiful waters of Auckland's Hauraki Gulf to be washed gently ashore, maybe on the many pleasant beaches near the place where I was born.

"Then the full circle of my life will be complete."

Attached File  hilari.gif   95KB   121 downloads

#4 U prolazu

U prolazu
  • Members
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 22:35

Alpinizam nije mrtav, postoje, i uvijek ce postojati ljudi koji ce penjanju i planinama prilaziti viteski i sportski; postojace uvijek ljudi koji su zeljni da na taj nacin, u ljepoti koja moze da ubije - ispitaju sebe. Penjanje visokih 8000 + metara planina tj. masama najzvucnijeg Everesta, je danas uglavnom privilegija bogatih, ali to je, laici nisu svjesni, samo jedan mali dio alpinizma koji cesto sa sportom i onim sto bi alpinizam trebao biti ima malo veze. Hilariju svaka cast, ali ruku na srce osvajanje "osamtisucnjaka" je u svojoj istoriji imalo samo jednu koliko-toliko "pure" fazu, za vrijeme Mesnera i Kukucke, tako da danasnjica bas i nije neki izuzetak. Ostatak te istorije, ako cemo da poredimo i fokusiramo na negativnom, je prozet glomaznim drzavnim ekspedicijama i (drzavnim) novcem, nista manjom pomoci Serpi nego danas, tonama gvozdjurije, kilometrima fiksne uzadi, patriotizmom, steroidima, skandalima i sl.

Nego, Hilari, njegova meni omiljena:

There are many people who, when they're in a moment of danger, will resort to prayer and hope that God will get them out of this trouble. I've always had the feeling that to do that is a slightly sneaky way of doing things. If I've got myself into that situation, I always felt it's up to me to make the effort somehow to get myself out again and not to rely on some super-human human being who can just lift me out of this rather miserable situation.
That may be a slightly arrogant approach, but I still feel that in the end, it's up to us to meet our challenges and to overcome them.

Edited by U prolazu, 12 January 2008 - 22:36.