pravila, pravila...

• Please log in to reply
541 replies to this topic

#541 /13/Ален Шмит/

/13/Ален Шмит/
  • Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 15:01

Formula 1 drivers have been shown an alternative cockpit protection idea – called ‘The Shield’ - by the FIA as a decision nears about introducing the Halo for 2018.

During Friday night’s drivers’ briefing in China, the FIA delivered a presentation about an alternative canopy-style solution that could be introduced in the future.

Although it is only an outline concept, and has not yet been tested extensively, it is understood the idea features a screen that extends much further forward along the nose than the Halo or Aeroscreen did.

The solution is believed to be more aesthetically pleasing but does not offer the levels of protection that the Halo would.

The FIA used the briefing to get feedback on whether or not the idea would garner much support among drivers, but opinions were divided.

Haas driver Kevin Magnussen said: “I don’t know. My opinion is I wouldn’t mind not having anything. I am happy as it is now.

“I think visibility [with the Shield] is going to be a big issue at least in the wet. In Brazil last year we couldn’t see anything without any protection so with the screen I am sure there is going to be no visibility in a situation like that.

"Maybe in the dry it could be okay, but with mist on the screen it could be tricky. Let’s see what they could up with it.”

Daniil Kvyat said: “It’s not fully the Aeroscreen, it’s even slightly worse in that respect because we cannot see anything. It will just get dirty. I don’t believe in that project.”

Romain Grosjean added: “There are two very different opinions [between drivers] – some want to get the Halo up as soon as possible some don’t want anything.

“My feedback is I am against the Shield, Aeroscreen or Halo. F1 is back to where it should be right now, back to really cool and aggressive cars and I don’t want to put anything that could destroy what we have just built.”

Although the FIA has stated that a form of cockpit head protection will be introduced for 2018, no agreement has yet been reached on what type it will be.

The FIA technical regulations can be changed with majority support until April 30, and after that point unanimous backing from teams will be required.

However, even without that, the FIA could choose to force it through on safety grounds if there is disagreement between the competitors about what to do.

#542 /13/Ален Шмит/

/13/Ален Шмит/
  • Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 16:16

Exclusive: How Formula 1's new 'Shield' idea could look

042-017__SAFE_WINDSCREEN_DETAIL.jpg

While Formula 1 edges closer a decision on what type of cockpit head protection system will be introduced for 2018, Motorsport.com can reveal how the new 'Shield' idea being considered could look.

During Friday night's drivers' briefing at the Chinese Grand Prix, the FIA showed off a new canopy style solution that could be an alternative to the Halo or the Aeroscreen.

Here, for the first time, technical editor Giorgio Piola revealed his artists' impression of what the design could look like when fitted to a generic 2017 car.

Rather than the Shield being an attachment around the edge of the cockpit like the Halo and Aeroscreen, the solution is more integral to the nose section of the car – beginning much further forward that the two ideas already trialled.

The sloping see-through screen does not extend fully over the cockpit, even though it does end up higher than the crash helmet.

During a briefing made to drivers, they were told that while the design has proved effective in early testing for smaller pieces of debris, it is not as effective when it comes to deflecting larger items like wheels.

043-017_SAFE_WINDSCREEN.jpg

However, as there is resistance from teams, fans and drivers about the look of the Halo, it has been suggested that the Shield could deliver the best compromise between visuals and safety.

Some drivers believed it was more acceptable than the Halo, while others were not convinced.

Felipe Massa, who suffered a head injury when he was hit by a spring during qualifying for the 2009 Hungarian Grand Prix, believed that a final decision on which cockpit system to use should be made only on safety grounds.

"To be honest it looks really nice," said Massa, when asked by Motorsport.com for his opinion on the Shield. "It's beautiful compared to the Halo, but I don't think we need to go for how beautiful it is, but how better it is for the safety. That's the only answer we gave to them.

"If you can make it better, nicer and safer then it's done. Maybe for my accident it could have been okay this new system, but maybe for some other accidents maybe not. The wheels are much heavier now, so if you have a wheel flying and it hits it, it will not protect. So I push for the safety."

F1 teams and the FIA have agreed to introduce a form of cockpit protection for next season, but agreement has not yet been reached on which concept it should be.

A majority approval on the matter is required before the end of this month, otherwise the FIA will need unanimous backing from teams – something that may not be possible with several outfits not convinced about the need to cover cockpits.